Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Find wild card directory and its files of some extensions Post 303002290 by Don Cragun on Monday 21st of August 2017 03:52:01 PM
Old 08-21-2017
The code I suggested in post #4 in this thread can be typed directly into ksh at any primary prompt or put into a file and use ksh to execute that file. No \; is required under any circumstances for the for loop I suggested. You could join the 3 lines into a single line if you put just a ; at the end of the 1st 2 lines; but I MUCH prefer to see the structure any of code I'm running instead of trying to cram it all into a single unreadable line. I did have a typo in the first line:
Code:
for dir in $(find . -type d -name 'file*')

should have been:
Code:
for dir in $(find . -type d -name 'prog*')

but that would cause a different (possibly empty) set of directories to be searched; it shouldn't cause a secondary prompt to be issued.

Unless you added or removed some quotes, there is no reason why the code I suggested would issue a secondary prompt waiting for further input. Please show us EXACTLY (in CODE tags) what you typed into ksh.

For the code you asked about:
Code:
find . -type d -name prog\* -print -exec ls -la {} \; | /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -Ei '/|\.txt|\.PRG'

what are you hoping to match with the first of the three alternatives in the ERE you're passing to grep?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using if with wild card patterns

Hi, Please help me. Suppose I have a file which contains files like: My file :/tmp/rooh_20020518.lst it consists: ASI00320225041925URD01 ASI00320225041925KER02 ASI00390228095244KER08 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rooh
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls and wild card - Should be simple!

I am trying to cp files that have F0 as prefix in their name in path p1/p2 to path p3/p4 this command does not work - Why? (I am using HP/UX) cp p1/p2/F0* p3/p4 thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GNMIKE
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wild card in find perm

Hi, Is there a way to use find command to list the directories for certain permissions. I know we can use find . -type d -perm nnn, where nnn is the permission number . However I wold like to know if I wanna search for wild card permissions i.e 75* / 7* / 55* , as i do not know the actual... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: braindrain
1 Replies

4. AIX

df, grep, wild card

Hi, I want to monitor my filesystem capacity and I want to df with grep wildcard for all 9*%. Is this possible? I want to replaced all the existing complicated scripts I have in the system. Thanks, Itik (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Existence of File with wild card using Csh

Hi All, I would like to find out the existence of files with wild card using CSH. I have used the below code but does not seem to work. Can any expert give me some advice ? set nonomatch set pattern = "_xxx" set filetype = ( *$pattern* ) if ( -e $filetype) then echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find with wild card [solved]

Can somebody help me with the following syntax? I want to find all files that end with *.arc SUFFIX=".arc" find /tmp -name "\*$SUFFIX" -print 2>/dev/null ---------- Post updated at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:41 PM ---------- got it thanks -name... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

list files not matching wild card

Hi I need a unix command which generates the list of files that dont match the wild card pattern in the current directory say for example I have files like x.addfd.txt.H2012.txt x.addfd.txt.H2012.txt x.asegfd.txt.H2012.txt adfd.bagddf I need the list of files which dont match... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lijjumathew
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to find files using wild card search

Hi All, My server is AIX and i am trying to search for a file in a specific path in directory. The file name can be of two types: Position_20131114.csv Position123333_20131114.csv I am trying to assign a SOURCEFILE variable as mentioned below:, but i am unable to find/locate the files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wild card for dir path

I have dir structure like this : /opt/oracle/product/abc/sqlplus/admin/ /opt/oracle/product/def/sqlplus/admin /opt/oracle/product/ghi/sqlplus/admin I am trying to use wildcard ( for dirs abc,def,ghi) ..something like this : cp xyz.txt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: talashil
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the directories and deleting with wild card

Hi Firends, I have requirement like find the directories in unix after my my deployment is done. generally my requirement as follows. /data/common/scripts is folder and it has multiple scripts in this path. I have taken the back up of scripts folder as below /data/common/0816_scripts... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: victory
4 Replies
File::Find::Rule::Procedural(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			 File::Find::Rule::Procedural(3pm)

NAME
File::Find::Rule::Procedural - File::Find::Rule's procedural interface SYNOPSIS
use File::Find::Rule; # find all .pm files, procedurally my @files = find(file => name => '*.pm', in => @INC); DESCRIPTION
In addition to the regular object-oriented interface, File::Find::Rule provides two subroutines for you to use. "find( @clauses )" "rule( @clauses )" "find" and "rule" can be used to invoke any methods available to the OO version. "rule" is a synonym for "find" Passing more than one value to a clause is done with an anonymous array: my $finder = find( name => [ '*.mp3', '*.ogg' ] ); "find" and "rule" both return a File::Find::Rule instance, unless one of the arguments is "in", in which case it returns a list of things that match the rule. my @files = find( name => [ '*.mp3', '*.ogg' ], in => $ENV{HOME} ); Please note that "in" will be the last clause evaluated, and so this code will search for mp3s regardless of size. my @files = find( name => '*.mp3', in => $ENV{HOME}, size => '<2k' ); ^ | Clause processing stopped here ------/ It is also possible to invert a single rule by prefixing it with "!" like so: # large files that aren't videos my @files = find( file => '!name' => [ '*.avi', '*.mov' ], size => '>20M', in => $ENV{HOME} ); AUTHOR
Richard Clamp <richardc@unixbeard.net> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003 Richard Clamp. All Rights Reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
File::Find::Rule perl v5.12.4 2011-09-19 File::Find::Rule::Procedural(3pm)