Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Insert file after only first match Post 303002242 by SkySmart on Monday 21st of August 2017 12:37:04 AM
Old 08-21-2017
Insert file after only first match

i'm using the following code to add the entire content of a file (/tmp/resources.txt) to the line directly below the line containing a pattern (wonderful) in the file mainfile.txt:

Code:
sed '/^wonderful/ r /tmp/resources.txt' mainfile.txt

the problem is, it adds the entire content of /tmp/resources.txt under every occurrence of wonderful in the mainfile.txt.

I only want to add the file content after the first occurence of wonderful is found.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert text file only after the first match with SED

Hello, I'm new in Shell scripting but i should write a script, which inserts the license header out of a txt-File into the files in our Projekt. For the Java classes it runs without Problems but for XML files not. At xml-files i have to put the license Header after the xml-Header (?xml... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PhoenixONE
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert few lines above a match using sed, and within a perl file.

Greetings all, I am trying to match a string, and after that insert a few lines above that match. The string is "Version 1.0.0". I need to insert a few lines ONLY above the first match (there are many Version numbers in the file). The rest of the matches must be ignored. The lines I need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagaraj s
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match and insert in a sorted list

I have a sorted list (python) and I want to insert a string if it matches the pattern in list. Example : Sorted List Above list is in sorted order. I need to insert a name in sorted order and also if the name already exist then it should be inserted before the existing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pratapsingh
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script search file and insert character when match found

Hi I need a bash script that can search through a text file and when it finds 'FSS1206' I need to put a Letter F 100 spaces after the second instance of FSS1206 The format is the same throughout the file I need to repeat this on every time it finds the second 'FSS1206' in the file I have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: firefox2k2
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk, if line after string does not match insert

I have a large file with interface records. I need to check every record that has the string "encapsulation bridge1483" and if the next line after this does not have "ip description" then I need to insert a line to add "ip description blah_blah_blah. Sample file: interface atm 1/0.190158... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: numele
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Match and insert columns

Hi, I've got two files to match. File one: a1 b c d e a2 b c d e a3 b c d e a4 b c d e and file 2 a1 1 2 3 4 a2 5 6 7 8 a3 9 10 11 12 a4 1 2 3 4 I need to match them by the first column and add the four columns of file 2 to the file 1 so that those added columns go as columns... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zajtat
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed; insert text two lines above match

Hi! Considering below text, how would I use sed to insert text right below the v0005-line, using the SEPARATOR-line as a pattern to search for, so two lines above the separator? I can do it right above the separator, but not 2 lines... # v0004 - Some text # v0005 - More text #... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: indo1144
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a certain char and insert new text if a match found

Have a file which has the create statement like below create table emp ( empno integer, empname char(50)) primary index(empno); i need to find a string starting with create and ends with semi-colon ;. if so insert the below statement before create statement rename table emp to emp_rename;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohan0509
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert Word After Match

Dear ALL, I have sample file : host.txt fullname: FreeBSD Host: server1 ip: 1.1.1.1 mask: 255.255.255.0 fullname: CentOS Host: server2 mask: 255.255.255.0 fullname: Fedora Host: server3 ip: 1.3.1.2 mask: 255.255.255.0 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnulyn
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert text after match in XML file

Having a little trouble getting this to work just right. I have xml files that i want to split some data. I have 2 <name> tags within the file I would like to take only the first tag and split the data. tag example. From this. TAB<Name>smith, john</Name> to TAB<Name>smith,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: whegra
8 Replies
EXIGREP(8)						      System Manager's Manual							EXIGREP(8)

NAME
EXIGREP - Search Exim's main log SYNOPSIS
exigrep [-l] pattern [log file] ... DESCRIPTION
The exigrep utility is a Perl script that searches one or more main log files for entries that match a given pattern. When it finds a match, it extracts all the log entries for the relevant message, not just those that match the pattern. Thus, exigrep can extract complete log entries for a given message, or all mail for a given user, or for a given host, for example. The -l flag means 'literal', that is, treat all characters in the pattern as standing for themselves. Otherwise the pattern must be a Perl regular expression. The pattern match is case-insensitive. If no file names are given on the command line, the standard input is read. If the location of a zcat command is known from the definition of ZCAT_COMMAND in Local/Makefile, exigrep automatically passes any file whose name ends in COMPRESS_SUFFIX through zcat as it searches it. BUGS
This manual page needs a major re-work. If somebody knows better groff than us and has more experience in writing manual pages, any patches would be greatly appreciated. SEE ALSO
exim(8), perlre(1), /usr/share/doc/exim4-base/ AUTHOR
This manual page was stitched together from spec.txt by Andreas Metzler <ametzler at downhill.at.eu.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). March 26, 2003 EXIGREP(8)