Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Chmod by multiple users.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Chmod by multiple users. Post 303002167 by RudiC on Friday 18th of August 2017 02:21:08 PM
Old 08-18-2017
Why don't you post essential information as user / group of /tmp and /tmp/logs, and the user and his/her group that gets the error?
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

users need to chmod on newly ftp'd files

Is there a way to specify 774 permissions for a file uploaded to an app server via ftp without the users logging in and doing a chmod on the file they just put? I understand they were doing this with an old shared account, and it was working. When they started using their own accounts it stopped... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jgentile
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apply `chmod` for multiple files through FTP

Hi all, Can you please help me in this aspect. I devoloped a FTP script to copy a directory to remote server. Now i got stuck-up in changing the file permissions for all the files in directory. I tried to change the permissions of single file and I did it but failed in changing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chanakya.m
3 Replies

3. Solaris

How to add multiple users

HI, 1.I want to add multiple users at a same time. How to achive this , since useradd will add only one user at a time,. 2.Also let me know how to install a software in a group of machines where the machines are not configured as zones (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rogerben
1 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

What is the difference between chmod in solaris and chmod in Linux?

i think it is the same in both... Iam i right? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumaiya
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Multiple Users

I need to have more than one user logged into my PC's VMWare Linux virtual simultaneously, each seeing a graphical display, to test my software's ability to affect their displays one by one. I have never done anything like this before. My Linux virtuals have been for my development only, that is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrandonShw
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Users in multiple groups?

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!! I have a question about adding users to multiple groups. Thanks in advance Using Red Hat and here are the issues: Example: Users: Bob Mark Groups: SystemsAnalysts BusinessAnalysts If I am adding a user Bob to both groups (SystemsAnalysts and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansokl
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create multiple users with individual passwords to users

hi, i am new to shell scripts i write a shell script to create multiple users but i need to give passwords to that users while creating users, command to write this script (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DONFOX
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Multiple Users - Multiple Scripts

Hello All, I have to restart 100's of scripts for at least 20+ users once the server restarts for any reason. I wanted to come up with a single script to trigger of all scripts/programs under all users with just one script (without root privilege). Is it possible to do so? :confused: If not,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: PikK45
6 Replies
NEWGRP(1)							   User Commands							 NEWGRP(1)

NAME
newgrp - log in to a new group SYNOPSIS
newgrp [-] [group] DESCRIPTION
The newgrp command is used to change the current group ID during a login session. If the optional - flag is given, the user's environment will be reinitialized as though the user had logged in, otherwise the current environment, including current working directory, remains unchanged. newgrp changes the current real group ID to the named group, or to the default group listed in /etc/passwd if no group name is given. newgrp also tries to add the group to the user groupset. If not root, the user will be prompted for a password if she does not have a password (in /etc/shadow if this user has an entry in the shadowed password file, or in /etc/passwd otherwise) and the group does, or if the user is not listed as a member and the group has a password. The user will be denied access if the group password is empty and the user is not listed as a member. If there is an entry for this group in /etc/gshadow, then the list of members and the password of this group will be taken from this file, otherwise, the entry in /etc/group is considered. CONFIGURATION
The following configuration variables in /etc/login.defs change the behavior of this tool: SYSLOG_SG_ENAB (boolean) Enable "syslog" logging of sg activity. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow Secure user account information. /etc/group Group account information. /etc/gshadow Secure group account information. SEE ALSO
id(1), login(1), su(1), sg(1), gpasswd(1), group(5), gshadow(5). User Commands 06/24/2011 NEWGRP(1)