Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Swap two characters in a string Post 303002114 by MadeInGermany on Thursday 17th of August 2017 04:09:52 PM
Old 08-17-2017
In sed you can use the y command
Code:
str='abc-def_hij-klm_nop-qrs_tuv-wxy_z'
newstr=`printf "%s\n" "$str" | sed 'y/_-/-_/'`
printf "%s\n" "$str" "$newstr"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add string after another string with special characters

Hello everyone, I'm writing a script to add a string to an XML file, right after a specified string that only occurs once in the file. For testing purposes I created a file 'testfile' that looks like this: 1 2 3 4 5 6 6 7 8 9 And this is the script as far as I've managed: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heliode
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

split a string into 3 characters

Hi, I have a requirement like this. String=abcdefghijkl I need to split this string into a substrign each 3 characters and write output into a file. Output: abc def ghi jkl Can any one please help me how can i acheive this Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukatru
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

number of characters in a string

Hi there, I have some user input in a variable called $VAR, and i need to ensure that the string is 5 or less characters .... does anybody know how i can count the characters in the variables ? any help would be great, cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

get certain characters in a string

Hi Everyone, I have a.txt 12341" <sip:191@vo.my>;asdf=q" 116aaaa<sip:00091@vo.my>;penguin would like to get the output 191 00091 Please advice. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

Swap device file and swap sapce

Hi I have an integrity machine rx7620 and rx8640 running hp-ux 11.31. I'm planning to fine tune the system: - I would like to know when does the memory swap space spill over to the device swap space? - And how much % of memory swap utilization should be specified (swap space device... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
6 Replies

6. Programming

Swap different size string

how can I write a function to swap to different sized string? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove characters from string based on occurrence of a string

Hello Folks.. I need your help .. here the example of my problem..i know its easy..i don't all the commands in unix to do this especiallly sed...here my string.. dwc2_dfg_ajja_dfhhj_vw_dec2_dfgh_dwq desired output is.. dwc2_dfg_ajja_dfhhj it's a simple task with tail... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: victor369
5 Replies

8. Linux

string characters in UNIX

I need some help. when i use the following command, it deletes all lines containing WINNT& v2010 and WINNT& v2010.2 I just want it to delete lines containing WINNT & v2010 only. perl -n -i.bak -e 'print unless /WINNT/&&/v2010/' *.* Danish (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdanish110
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut a string for last 8 characters

Hello All I have a file like this abc.tpt.ctl bdc.tpt.ctl cdw.tpt.ctl I have looped every line using the for Loop, now I want to take each line and cut the .tpt.ctl part of it and store it in a variable and use the variable in same loop. The part I am stuck at is how do I cut the last... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnani
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Outputting characters after a given string and reporting the characters in the row below --sed

I have this fastq file: @M04961:22:000000000-B5VGJ:1:1101:9280:7106 1:N:0:86 GGGGGGGGGGGGCATGAAAACATACAAACCGTCTTTCCAGAAATTGTTCCAAGTATCGGCAACAGCTTTATCAATACCATGAAAAATATCAACCACACCA +test-1 GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGCCGGGGGFF,EDFFGEDFG,@DGGCGGEGGG7DCGGGF68CGFFFGGGG@CGDGFFDFEFEFF:30CGAFFDFEFF8CAF;;8... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
10 Replies
MB_CONVERT_ENCODING(3)							 1						    MB_CONVERT_ENCODING(3)

mb_convert_encoding - Convert character encoding

SYNOPSIS
string mb_convert_encoding (string $str, string $to_encoding, [mixed $from_encoding = mb_internal_encoding()]) DESCRIPTION
Converts the character encoding of string$str to $to_encoding from optionally $from_encoding. PARAMETERS
o $str - The string being encoded. o $to_encoding - The type of encoding that $str is being converted to. o $from_encoding - Is specified by character code names before conversion. It is either an array, or a comma separated enumerated list. If $from_encoding is not specified, the internal encoding will be used. See supported encodings. RETURN VALUES
The encoded string. EXAMPLES
Example #1 mb_convert_encoding(3) example <?php /* Convert internal character encoding to SJIS */ $str = mb_convert_encoding($str, "SJIS"); /* Convert EUC-JP to UTF-7 */ $str = mb_convert_encoding($str, "UTF-7", "EUC-JP"); /* Auto detect encoding from JIS, eucjp-win, sjis-win, then convert str to UCS-2LE */ $str = mb_convert_encoding($str, "UCS-2LE", "JIS, eucjp-win, sjis-win"); /* "auto" is expanded to "ASCII,JIS,UTF-8,EUC-JP,SJIS" */ $str = mb_convert_encoding($str, "EUC-JP", "auto"); ?> SEE ALSO
mb_detect_order(3). PHP Documentation Group MB_CONVERT_ENCODING(3)