Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Loop statement within a batch script Post 303002085 by rbatte1 on Thursday 17th of August 2017 07:42:39 AM
Old 08-17-2017
Welcome HenkTrumpie,

Your phrasing and the directory suggest that this is more a Windows question that a Unix one, but in any case, I have a few to questions pose in response first:-
  • Is this homework/assignment? There are specific forums for these.
  • What have you tried so far?
  • What output/errors do you get?
  • What OS and version are you using?
  • What are your preferred tools? (C, shell, perl, awk, etc.)
  • What logical process have you considered? (to help steer us to follow what you are trying to achieve)
Most importantly, What have you tried so far?

There are probably many ways to achieve most tasks, so giving us an idea of your style and thoughts will help us guide you to an answer most suitable to you so you can adjust it to suit your needs in future.

We're all here to learn and getting the relevant information will help us all.

Kind regards,
Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if statement in a while loop

#!/usr/bin/ksh echo Please enter while read n do echo $n >> datafile done question: How can I enject an if statement that if the users enter 0 (zero) the program will exit? this is what I have but not working #!/usr/bin/ksh echo Please enter number while read n do if $n=0 then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobo
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH in batch mode and File-Handles in a loop

Hi all I try to execute SSH commands on several hosts in a while-loop. There seems to be a problem with file-handle, first cycle works correct but no other one will follow due to the while condition is false even that there are many more host entries (lines) in all_hosts.dat. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DaveCutler
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

running a batch file in loop

i have a batch file which should run every five min...for an hour can any one help me out (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with IF statement with loop Shell Script

Hello I am very new to shell and I bought some books and trying to learn it. I started trying to write a script that will take a number and count it down to 1 with commas in between. This number can only be one argument. If lower than one or higher than one argument it sends an error message. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zero3ree
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help With Loop in Case Statement script

I am writing a bash script that asks the user for input and I need it to repeat until the user selects quit.. I dont know how to write the loop for it I searched all over but i still do not get it.. if anyone could help with this it would be greatly apprciated here is my script so far: #!... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Emin_Em
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a batch of files within a shell script with option to refire the individual files in batch

Hello everyone. I am new to shell scripting and i am required to create a shell script, the purpose of which i will explain below. I am on a solaris server btw. Before delving into the requirements, i will give youse an overview of what is currently in place and its purpose. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goddevil
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to create a loop in an if statement

Hey guys, a=`cat abc | wc -l` b=`cat def | wc -l` if $a== $b then echo "a" else echo "b" fi I want the if condition to retry itself , untill a==b. I can't use goto statemt. Please help. Thanx in advance. Please use next time code tags for your code and data (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaituteja
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk if statement in a for loop?

I need to match multiple values in a single column in a file: example: Source file: abd,123,one def,232,two ghi,987,six Target file: 12345,abcde,123 09876,zxvyr,566 56789,lmnop,232 Variable: var1=`grep 2 sourcefile | awk '{print$1}' essentially, echo "$var1" would read:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kopfgeldjagar
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop within if statement

Hi, I'm a rookie who is trying to learn this stuff. What I need help with is putting together a non complicated "while" loop within the below "if" statement. I also need the while loop to keep looping until the user types a key to end the loop. Please reveal the proper insertion points. Thank... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jefferj54
4 Replies

10. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Batch file loop and increment value for condition

I am trying to have the below batch file do following two things: 1. only allow the values YES,yes,Y,y, or NO,no,N,n 2. increment the counter %var1 only if answer to question 2 is "y" and not able to get the syntax correct. If %var1%=1 then I am trying to display function :end. Thank you :).... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies
Filename(3)							   OCaml library						       Filename(3)

NAME
Filename - Operations on file names. Module Module Filename Documentation Module Filename : sig end Operations on file names. val current_dir_name : string The conventional name for the current directory (e.g. . in Unix). val parent_dir_name : string The conventional name for the parent of the current directory (e.g. .. in Unix). val dir_sep : string The directory separator (e.g. / in Unix). Since 3.11.2 val concat : string -> string -> string concat dir file returns a file name that designates file file in directory dir . val is_relative : string -> bool Return true if the file name is relative to the current directory, false if it is absolute (i.e. in Unix, starts with / ). val is_implicit : string -> bool Return true if the file name is relative and does not start with an explicit reference to the current directory ( ./ or ../ in Unix), false if it starts with an explicit reference to the root directory or the current directory. val check_suffix : string -> string -> bool check_suffix name suff returns true if the filename name ends with the suffix suff . val chop_suffix : string -> string -> string chop_suffix name suff removes the suffix suff from the filename name . The behavior is undefined if name does not end with the suffix suff . val chop_extension : string -> string Return the given file name without its extension. The extension is the shortest suffix starting with a period and not including a directory separator, .xyz for instance. Raise Invalid_argument if the given name does not contain an extension. val basename : string -> string Split a file name into directory name / base file name. If name is a valid file name, then concat (dirname name) (basename name) returns a file name which is equivalent to name . Moreover, after setting the current directory to dirname name (with Sys.chdir ), references to basename name (which is a relative file name) designate the same file as name before the call to Sys.chdir . This function conforms to the specification of POSIX.1-2008 for the basename utility. val dirname : string -> string See Filename.basename . This function conforms to the specification of POSIX.1-2008 for the dirname utility. val temp_file : ?temp_dir:string -> string -> string -> string temp_file prefix suffix returns the name of a fresh temporary file in the temporary directory. The base name of the temporary file is formed by concatenating prefix , then a suitably chosen integer number, then suffix . The optional argument temp_dir indicates the tempo- rary directory to use, defaulting to the current result of Filename.get_temp_dir_name . The temporary file is created empty, with permis- sions 0o600 (readable and writable only by the file owner). The file is guaranteed to be different from any other file that existed when temp_file was called. Raise Sys_error if the file could not be created. Before3.11.2 no ?temp_dir optional argument val open_temp_file : ?mode:Pervasives.open_flag list -> ?temp_dir:string -> string -> string -> string * Pervasives.out_channel Same as Filename.temp_file , but returns both the name of a fresh temporary file, and an output channel opened (atomically) on this file. This function is more secure than temp_file : there is no risk that the temporary file will be modified (e.g. replaced by a symbolic link) before the program opens it. The optional argument mode is a list of additional flags to control the opening of the file. It can contain one or several of Open_append , Open_binary , and Open_text . The default is [Open_text] (open in text mode). Raise Sys_error if the file could not be opened. Before3.11.2 no ?temp_dir optional argument val get_temp_dir_name : unit -> string The name of the temporary directory: Under Unix, the value of the TMPDIR environment variable, or "/tmp" if the variable is not set. Under Windows, the value of the TEMP environment variable, or "." if the variable is not set. The temporary directory can be changed with File- name.set_temp_dir_name . Since 4.00.0 val set_temp_dir_name : string -> unit Change the temporary directory returned by Filename.get_temp_dir_name and used by Filename.temp_file and Filename.open_temp_file . Since 4.00.0 val temp_dir_name : string Deprecated. The name of the initial temporary directory: Under Unix, the value of the TMPDIR environment variable, or "/tmp" if the vari- able is not set. Under Windows, the value of the TEMP environment variable, or "." if the variable is not set. This function is depre- cated; Filename.get_temp_dir_name should be used instead. Since 3.09.1 val quote : string -> string Return a quoted version of a file name, suitable for use as one argument in a command line, escaping all meta-characters. Warning: under Windows, the output is only suitable for use with programs that follow the standard Windows quoting conventions. OCamldoc 2014-06-09 Filename(3)