Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: RHEL7 - Samba
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat RHEL7 - Samba Post 303001993 by christr on Tuesday 15th of August 2017 10:27:34 PM
Old 08-15-2017
RHEL7 - Samba

I'm having trouble with a Linux Samba share after migrating a system from RHEL 5 to RHEL 7.

My current configuration is below.

Code:
[global]
workgroup = DOCS
security = share
[data]
comment = Data
path = /export
read only = yes
guest ok = yes
browsable = yes

In RHEL7 the service will fail to start. I can get the service to start if I change it to "security = user", but that's not what I want because it will force users trying to connect for logins. I need this share to be completely open, and Windows users can't be prompted for a username or password whatsoever. Has anyone run into this, or know of a work around?

I see in the new man page that "security = user" is deprecated. However, I must have the share completely wide open to guests.

Thanks

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Samba help

Hey. I have a question about adding users and maping theirs dirictorys. Main Folder | -User1 Folder -User2 Folder -User3 Folder ...... How can I add this users to have folders in the Main Folder ? any simple script? And I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: net555
0 Replies

2. Solaris

samba issue: one samba share without password prompting and the others with.

Hi All, I've been trying to configure samba on Solaris 10 to allow me to have one share that is open and writable to all users and have the rest of my shares password protected by a generic account. If I set my security to user, my secured shares work just fine and prompt accordingly, but when... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ideal2545
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

How to sync time with bios in rhel7?

Hi All, I deployed the rhel7 server in the bare metal hardware. I want to configure the rhel7 server to sync time with bios. I tired the below commands. Still it did not sync the time with bios. Thanks, Kalai (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

Command for viewing hba cards on rhel7

hi all, I am trying to view the hba cards on a rhel7 server (storage says they are there, but I am not seeing them. I tried lspci -nn | grep -i hba lspci |grep qla I tried looking in /sys/class/fc_host.. but it is empty. I am not sure if I am looking in the right spot... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gartie
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Instructions for Solaris 10 RedHat RHEL7 IPA for LDAP authentication?

Hi, does anyone have instructions on how to connect a Solaris 10 (Sparc) machine to Redhat RHEL7 IPA server for LDAP authentication, I have gone through the usual search results on Google, but nothing is working so far, but to be fair, not sure which source is the best and have NOT rewound... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

Can't boot RHEL7.2 due to "Start Job is Running"

Dear community, as already done tons of times, I prepare the RedHat installation on VMWare, then clone it with clonezilla, and finally restore it on final server. Due to different hrdware, I have to boot from rhel-server-7.4-x86_64-boot.iso cd and rewrite the initramfs that contains the hardware... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

RHEL7 dos2UNIX return code 13

Hi, upgraded one of the server to RHEL7. A Shell script uses dos2unix to convert EOL characters to Linux format and checks return code. In RHEL6, if conversion fails shell script returns code 1 where as if conversion fails in RHEL7 script returns return code 13. Is it possible to change RHEL7... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
6 Replies

8. Red Hat

Looking for equivalent of Solaris containers/zones in RHEL7 Linux

Hi, I come from a legacy Solaris background with lots of experience with Solaris Containers/zones that we use for network and process isolation from each other. Currently we have a RHEL7 Linux VM running on VMWare, but we would like to segment that VM with some form of containers and achieve... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
1 Replies
SMBGETRC(5)						   File Formats and Conventions 					       SMBGETRC(5)

NAME
smbgetrc - configuration file for smbget SYNOPSIS
smbgetrc DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the format and options of the smbgetrc file. This is the configuration file used by the smbget(1) utility. The file contains of key-value pairs, one pair on each line. The key and value should be separated by a space. By default, smbget reads its configuration from $HOME/.smbgetrc, though other locations can be specified using the command-line options. OPTIONS
The following keys can be set: resume on|off Whether aborted downloads should be automatically resumed. recursive on|off Whether directories should be downloaded recursively username name Username to use when logging in to the remote server. Use an empty string for anonymous access. password pass Password to use when logging in. workgroup wg Workgroup to use when logging in nonprompt on|off Turns off asking for username and password. Useful for scripts. debuglevel int (Samba) debuglevel to run at. Useful for tracking down protocol level problems. dots on|off Whether a single dot should be printed for each block that has been downloaded, instead of the default progress indicator. blocksize int Number of bytes to put in a block. VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
smbget(1) and Samba(7). AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. This manual page was written by Jelmer Vernooij Samba 4.0 06/17/2014 SMBGETRC(5)