Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Why bind to LiveCD /proc before building initramfs ? Post 303001806 by Corona688 on Friday 11th of August 2017 01:34:10 PM
Old 08-11-2017
It is certainly not archiving the contents of /proc. It's important that the dir exists and has the right permissions.

It might archive a tiny, minimal portion of /dev - just basic device files like /dev/console necessary for a system to boot.

Mostly, I think, what's happening is tricking it into building it from the given kernel instead of the running one.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot log on to FreeBSD LiveCD

Hi, I just download FreeBSD LiveCD and burn it to the CDROM (Because I want to learn UNIX). But when I boot the computer from the CDROM, it display the username and password. I type "root" and the password blank. But it does not allow me to login. I try many user name and password that I guest but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 012633023
3 Replies

2. Debian

change initramfs by hand?

What's the correct way to change the initramfs file that's used during boot? I know that it's a gzipped cpio archive, but when I gunzip, extract, re-archive (without changing any files), and gzip, then the result is that the system does not boot any more. And I even set the cpio archive type. ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankie06
18 Replies

3. Linux

initramfs on 2.4 kernel

Is there a patch available to support initramfs on the 2.4 kernel? We can't upgrade to 2.6 for legacy purposes. All I found on google were early references to how initramfs is better than the 2.4 initrd. Thanks much! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amoeba
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

_/proc/stat vs /proc/uptime

Hi, I am trying to calculate the CPU Usage by getting the difference between the idle time reported by /proc/stat at 2 different intervals. Now the 4th entry in the first line of /proc/stat will give me the 'idle time'. But I also came across /proc/uptime that gives me 2 entries : 1st one as the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: coderd
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

LiveCD help

hey, I am build an operating system but i cant seem to get it to boot. I am using GRUB as the boot loader, but I'm not sure if I have all the files need, on the CD, to load the operating system. So can anyone tell me what files I need in order for GRUB to load my OS. P.S. The OS is neither... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neur0n
1 Replies

6. Debian

Only have initramfs now...

Long story short, I had a ps3 with both Lenny and Sid repositories. Knowing this is a bad idea and that Lenny is being deprecated I decided I wanted to move everything to Sid. I changed my repos and ran apt-get-update, upgrade, dist-upgrade. Had one warning during the apt-get upgrade that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
0 Replies
SHOWCONSOLE(8)						       The SuSE boot concept						    SHOWCONSOLE(8)

NAME
Showconsole - determines the underlying tty of stdin Setconsole - sets the underlying tty of /dev/console SYNOPSIS
showconsole [-n] setconsole /dev/tty<xy> < /dev/console DESCRIPTION
showconsole determines the underlying character device of the current stdin. This can be used on /dev/console as current character device to get the real character device back. setconsole sets the underlying tty of the system console /dev/console. This requires that the standard input is identical with /dev/con- sole and exactly one argument, a valid character device is given. OPTIONS
-n Return the major and minor device numbers instead of the device file name. This can be used to asked the kernel for the major and minor device numbers of a not existing device file in /dev. BUGS
showconsole needs a mounted /proc file system and tries to set the controlling tty to stdin if no controlling tty is found. After reading /proc the status of the controlling tty is restored to avoid problems with getty processes. FILES
/proc/<pid of showconsole>/stat the stat file of the showconsole process. /dev/console the system console. SEE ALSO
blogd(8), console(4), tty(4), proc(5). COPYRIGHT
2000 Werner Fink, 2000 SuSE GmbH Nuernberg, Germany. AUTHOR
Werner Fink <werner@suse.de> 3rd Berkeley Distribution Nov 10, 2000 SHOWCONSOLE(8)