Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Find memory usage for a process Post 303001782 by yashreads on Friday 11th of August 2017 05:45:10 AM
Old 08-11-2017
Running ipcs -m gave me
Code:
oraent@DBSRV1 $
oraent@DBSRV1 $ ipcs -m
IPC status from <running system> as of Friday, August 11, 2017 03:07:22 PM IST
T         ID      KEY        MODE        OWNER    GROUP
Shared Memory:
m         15   0x3f81fc70 --rw-r-----   oraent oinstall
m         14   0x0        --rw-r-----   oraent oinstall
m         13   0x0        --rw-r-----   oraent oinstall
m          7   0xeb0a8b74 --rw-r-----   oraent oinstall
m          6   0x0        --rw-r-----   oraent oinstall
m          5   0x0        --rw-r-----   oraent oinstall
m          3   0xf6b11ac0 --rw-r-----   oraent oinstall
m          2   0x0        --rw-r-----   oraent oinstall
m          1   0x0        --rw-r-----   oraent oinstall
You have new mail in /var/mail/oraent
oraent@DBSRV1 $
oraent@DBSRV1 $

The oracle database allocates memory equivalent to the SGA parameter.
Thsi is needed to only start the database and to keep it running.
But as new user connect to the database and perform theis tasks. Each user has its own process on the server. This process consumes memory.

So, such connections per database differs.
In my case i have three database opn the server.
Out of the three, one database consumes apporx 80% of the CPU and memory. This is just an estimate depending on the number of connections see at the database level.
Thats why i need to find the memory usage per database.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to restrict memory usage by a process

we are running red hat ES4 and i would like to know if there is anyway of restrcting the maximum amount of memory that a process can get? I have a single preocess that is taking >13GB. Thanks, Frank (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
4 Replies

2. Solaris

RAM Physical Memory usage by each Process.

Hi All, I am trying to find the physical memory usage by each process/users. Can you please let me know how to get the memory usage?. Thanks, bsraj. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsrajirs
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Memory usage of a process

hi all, i want to write a script that checks the memory usage of processes and send a mail with the name of the process witch is using more then 300mb RAM. dose anybody have a sample script or an idea how i can make it ? PROCCESSES="snmpd sendmail" for myVar in $PROCCESSES do ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tafil
7 Replies

4. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

how could I get a process Memory Usage

I use pstat API to get Process Infomation I would like to get a process 1.process owner 2.how many physical memory and virtual memory and total memory used(KB) and usage(%) 3.a process excution file create time 4.a process excution file access time I do't know which attribute it i need ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find out memory & cpu usage of a process

Hi, By using time command we can determine the execution time of a process or command. bash-2.04$ time ls -l total 0 -rw-r--r-- 1 admin tac 0 Oct 6 04:46 file1 -rw-r--r-- 1 admin tac 0 Oct 6 04:46 file2 real 0m0.002s user 0m0.000s sys 0m0.001s... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: learn more
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

collecting memory usage by a process

Hi Guys, I work on a AIX environment and I'm trying to write a script where I can collect all the memory used by a process. Basically I'm executing the command 'ps -fu userid' to get all the process ids and then executing the 'ps v PID' to get all the memory allocated by PPID. My question is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arizah
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

Virtual Memory Usage a Process

Hi all, Is there any command which shows the virtual memory usage of a particular process in HP-UX machine. I have tried with ps, top but could not get what I want. Kindly provide me a solution. Thanks in Advance ARD (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ard
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Process memory usage

hi all gurus: I want to find out Solaris process memory usage, but got a bit confused, see if any one can provide me some guidance. i tend to use prstat -a to get total memory consumption by user (I know prstat likely have a bug that simply sum up the memory, regardless if the memory being... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oakville
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I check actual memory usage each Process?

I can't check actual memory usage in the Redhat 5.5... The used memory is 14214 Mb of Total 15919 by Free -m command. I sum the RSS value on PS aux command result and the value is 5428.66Mb. Yes It's quite different actual usage memory and RSS value. So I added Shared memory value... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tom8254
5 Replies
ipcs(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   ipcs(1)

NAME
ipcs - Reports Interprocess Communication (IPC) facility status SYNOPSIS
ipcs [-a | -bcopt] [-mqs] [-C corefile] [-N namelist] The ipcs command writes to the standard output information about active Interprocess Communication (IPC) facilities. STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: ipcs: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
Same as specifying the -b, -c, -o, -p, and -t options. Writes the maximum number of bytes in message queues, the size of segments for shared memory, and the number of semaphores in each semaphore set. Writes the username and group name of the user that made the facility. Writes report based on contents of file corefile instead of /dev/kmem. Writes information about active shared memory segments. Writes report based on contents of file namelist instead of /vmunix. Writes the following usage information: Number of messages on queue Total number of bytes in message queues Number of processes attached to shared memory segments Writes the following: Process number of the last process to receive a message on message queues Process number of the creating process Process number of last process to attach or detach on shared memory segments Writes information about active message queues. Writes information about active semaphore set. Writes the follow- ing: Time of the last control operation that changed the access permissions for all facilities Time of the last msgsnd() and last msgrcv() on message queues Time of the last shmat() and last shmdt() on shared memory Time of the last semop() on semaphore sets DESCRIPTION
If you do not specify any options, ipcs writes information in a short form about currently active message queues, shared memory segments, semaphores, remote queues, and local queue headers. Column Headings The column headings and the meaning of the columns in an ipcs listing follow. The letters in parentheses indicate the flags that cause the corresponding heading to appear. The word all means that the heading always appears. The flags only determine what information is pro- vided for each facility; they do not determine which facilities are listed. Type of facility: Message queue Shared memory segment Sema- phore The identifier for the facility entry. The key used as a parameter to the msgget(), semget() or shemget() system calls to make the facility entry. Note that the key of a shared memory segment is changed to IPC_PRIVATE when the segment is removed. This change remains in effect until all processes attached to the segment detach it. The facility access modes and flags. The mode consists of 11 characters that are interpreted as follows: The first two characters can be: [Tru64 UNIX] If the associated shared memory segment was locked. If a process is waiting on a msgrcv() system call. If a process is waiting on a msgsnd() system call. If the associated shared memory segment was removed. It disappears when the last process attached to the segment detaches it. If the corresponding special flag is not set. The next nine characters are interpreted as three sets of three bits each. The first set refers to the owner's permissions, the next to permissions of others in the user group of the facility entry, and the last to all others. Within each set, the first char- acter indicates permission to read, the second character indicates permission to write or alter the facility entry, and the last character is currently unused. The permissions are indicated as follows: Read permission is granted. Write permission is granted. Alter permission is granted. The indicated permission is not granted. The username of the owner of the facility entry. The name of the group that owns the facility entry. The username of the creator of the facility entry. The group name of the group of the creator of the facility entry. Note that for the OWNER, GROUP, CREATOR, and CGROUP, the user and group IDs display instead of the usernames. The number of bytes in messages currently outstanding on the associated message queue. The number of messages currently outstanding on the associated message queue. The maximum number of bytes allowed in messages outstanding on the associated message queue. The ID of the last process that sent a message to the associated queue. The ID of the last process that received a message from the associated queue. The time when the last message was sent to the associated queue. The time when the last message was received from the associated queue. The time when the associated entry was created or changed. The number of processes attached to the associated shared memory segment. The size of the associated shared memory segment. The process ID of the creator of the shared memory entry. The process ID of the last process to attach or detach the shared memory segment. The time when the last attach was completed to the associated shared memory segment. The time when the last detach was completed on the associated shared memory segment. The number of sema- phores in the set associated with the semaphore entry. The time when the last semaphore operation was completed on the set associ- ated with the semaphore entry. EXAMPLES
Sample output from entering ipcs without options follows. Message Queues: T ID KEY MODE OWNER GROUP q 4 0x41002ab4 --rw------- root system Shared Memory: T ID KEY MODE OWNER GROUP m 0 0x3253bc5c --rw-rw-rw- root system m 129 0 DLrw------- root daemon Semaphores: T ID KEY MODE OWNER GROUP s 0 0x41002ab4 --ra------- root system Output is formatted differently if the environment variable CMD_ENV is set to the string svr4. For example: IPC status from /dev/kmem as of Thu Mar 26 11:31:03 1998 T ID KEY MODE OWNER GROUP Message Queues: q 4 0x41002ab4 --rw------- root system Shared Memory: m 0 0x3253bc5c --rw-rw-rw- root system m 129 0 DLrw------- root daemon Semaphores: s 0 0x41002ab4 --ra------- root system FILES
Contains user information. Contains group information. SEE ALSO
Commands: ipcrm(1) Functions: msgrcv(2), msgsnd(2), semop(2), shmat(2), shmdt(2) ipcs(1)