Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Why bind to LiveCD /proc before building initramfs ? Post 303001609 by hicksd8 on Tuesday 8th of August 2017 03:43:46 AM
Old 08-08-2017
I think that I understand your question. The 'Live CD' contains all commonly required drivers but those drivers are only loaded if the hardware is actually present. The 'Live CD' is designed so that it can boot on almost all hardware without extra drivers.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot log on to FreeBSD LiveCD

Hi, I just download FreeBSD LiveCD and burn it to the CDROM (Because I want to learn UNIX). But when I boot the computer from the CDROM, it display the username and password. I type "root" and the password blank. But it does not allow me to login. I try many user name and password that I guest but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 012633023
3 Replies

2. Debian

change initramfs by hand?

What's the correct way to change the initramfs file that's used during boot? I know that it's a gzipped cpio archive, but when I gunzip, extract, re-archive (without changing any files), and gzip, then the result is that the system does not boot any more. And I even set the cpio archive type. ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankie06
18 Replies

3. Linux

initramfs on 2.4 kernel

Is there a patch available to support initramfs on the 2.4 kernel? We can't upgrade to 2.6 for legacy purposes. All I found on google were early references to how initramfs is better than the 2.4 initrd. Thanks much! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amoeba
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

_/proc/stat vs /proc/uptime

Hi, I am trying to calculate the CPU Usage by getting the difference between the idle time reported by /proc/stat at 2 different intervals. Now the 4th entry in the first line of /proc/stat will give me the 'idle time'. But I also came across /proc/uptime that gives me 2 entries : 1st one as the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: coderd
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

LiveCD help

hey, I am build an operating system but i cant seem to get it to boot. I am using GRUB as the boot loader, but I'm not sure if I have all the files need, on the CD, to load the operating system. So can anyone tell me what files I need in order for GRUB to load my OS. P.S. The OS is neither... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neur0n
1 Replies

6. Debian

Only have initramfs now...

Long story short, I had a ps3 with both Lenny and Sid repositories. Knowing this is a bad idea and that Lenny is being deprecated I decided I wanted to move everything to Sid. I changed my repos and ran apt-get-update, upgrade, dist-upgrade. Had one warning during the apt-get upgrade that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
0 Replies
id32_alloc(9F)						   Kernel Functions for Drivers 					    id32_alloc(9F)

NAME
id32_alloc, id32_free, id32_lookup - 32-bit driver ID management routines SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/ddi.h> #include <sys/id32.h> uint32_t id32_alloc(void *ptr, int flag); void id32_free(uint32_t token); void *id32_lookup(uint32_t token); INTERFACE LEVEL
Solaris architecture specific (Solaris DDI). PARAMETERS
ptr any valid 32- or 64-bit pointer flag determines whether caller can sleep for memory (see kmem_alloc(9F) for a description) DESCRIPTION
These routines were originally developed so that device drivers could manage 64-bit pointers on devices that save space only for 32-bit pointers. Many device drivers need to pass a 32-bit value to the hardware when attempting I/O. Later, when that I/O completes, the only way the driver has to identify the request that generated that I/O is via a "token". When the I/O is initiated, the driver passes this token to the hardware. When the I/O completes the hardware passes back this 32-bit token. Before Solaris supported 64-bit pointers, device drivers just passed a raw 32-bit pointer to the hardware. When pointers grew to be 64 bits this was no longer possible. The id32_*() routines were created to help drivers translate between 64-bit pointers and a 32-bit token. Given a 32- or 64-bit pointer, the routine id32_alloc() allocates a 32-bit token, returning 0 if KM_NOSLEEP was specified and memory could not be allocated. The allocated token is passed back to id32_lookup() to obtain the original 32- or 64-bit pointer. The routine id32_free() is used to free an allocated token. Once id32_free() is called, the supplied token is no longer valid. Note that these routines have some degree of error checking. This is done so that an invalid token passed to id32_lookup() will not be accepted as valid. When id32_lookup() detects an invalid token it returns NULL. Calling routines should check for this return value so that they do not try to dereference a NULL pointer. CONTEXT
These functions can be called from user or interrupt context. The routine id32_alloc() should not be called from interrupt context when the KM_SLEEP flag is passed in. All other routines can be called from interrupt or kernel context. SEE ALSO
kmem_alloc(9F) Writing Device Drivers SunOS 5.11 12 Dec 2001 id32_alloc(9F)