Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Why bind to LiveCD /proc before building initramfs ? Post 303001550 by sreyan32 on Monday 7th of August 2017 07:34:11 AM
Old 08-07-2017
Blade Why bind to LiveCD /proc before building initramfs ?

Imagine I have an unbootable system where I need to update the kernel image using
Code:
update-initramfs

I have seen numerous examples online which show the following

Code:
$ mount -t proc none /mnt/ubuntu/proc
$ mount -o bind /dev /mnt/ubuntu/dev
$ mount -o bind /sys /mnt/ubuntu/sys

After that we chroot into the broken OS and then execute the command to update the initramfs.

My questions are as follows-:
  1. Are we binding the /proc and /dev of the Live CD to the broken system ? Or are we binding the /proc and /dev of the broken system to the live cd ?
  2. If building the initramfs is dependent on the information of the OS for which the initramfs is built then won't it contain erroneous information if we build for the Live CD ? That is use the /proc and /dev of the LiveCD ?

Last edited by rbatte1; 08-07-2017 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: Tidied up numbered list

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot log on to FreeBSD LiveCD

Hi, I just download FreeBSD LiveCD and burn it to the CDROM (Because I want to learn UNIX). But when I boot the computer from the CDROM, it display the username and password. I type "root" and the password blank. But it does not allow me to login. I try many user name and password that I guest but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 012633023
3 Replies

2. Debian

change initramfs by hand?

What's the correct way to change the initramfs file that's used during boot? I know that it's a gzipped cpio archive, but when I gunzip, extract, re-archive (without changing any files), and gzip, then the result is that the system does not boot any more. And I even set the cpio archive type. ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankie06
18 Replies

3. Linux

initramfs on 2.4 kernel

Is there a patch available to support initramfs on the 2.4 kernel? We can't upgrade to 2.6 for legacy purposes. All I found on google were early references to how initramfs is better than the 2.4 initrd. Thanks much! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amoeba
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

_/proc/stat vs /proc/uptime

Hi, I am trying to calculate the CPU Usage by getting the difference between the idle time reported by /proc/stat at 2 different intervals. Now the 4th entry in the first line of /proc/stat will give me the 'idle time'. But I also came across /proc/uptime that gives me 2 entries : 1st one as the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: coderd
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

LiveCD help

hey, I am build an operating system but i cant seem to get it to boot. I am using GRUB as the boot loader, but I'm not sure if I have all the files need, on the CD, to load the operating system. So can anyone tell me what files I need in order for GRUB to load my OS. P.S. The OS is neither... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neur0n
1 Replies

6. Debian

Only have initramfs now...

Long story short, I had a ps3 with both Lenny and Sid repositories. Knowing this is a bad idea and that Lenny is being deprecated I decided I wanted to move everything to Sid. I changed my repos and ran apt-get-update, upgrade, dist-upgrade. Had one warning during the apt-get upgrade that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
0 Replies
MKINITRD(8)							      dracut							       MKINITRD(8)

NAME
mkinitrd - is a compat wrapper, which calls dracut to generate an initramfs SYNOPSIS
mkinitrd [OPTION...] [<initrd-image>] <kernel-version> DESCRIPTION
mkinitrd creates an initramfs image <initrd-image> for the kernel with version <kernel-version> by calling "dracut". Important If a more fine grained control over the resulting image is needed, "dracut" should be called directly. OPTIONS
--version print info about the version -v, --verbose increase verbosity level -f, --force overwrite existing initramfs file. *--image-version append the kernel version to the target image <initrd-image>-<kernel-version>. --with=<module> add the kernel module <module> to the initramfs. --preload=<module> preload the kernel module <module> in the initramfs before any other kernel modules are loaded. This can be used to ensure a certain device naming, which should in theory be avoided and the use of symbolic links in /dev is encouraged. --nocompress do not compress the resulting image. --help print a help message and exit. AVAILABILITY
The mkinitrd command is part of the dracut package and is available from https://dracut.wiki.kernel.org AUTHORS
Harald Hoyer SEE ALSO
dracut(8) dracut 06/12/2014 MKINITRD(8)