Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Limit directory Size in AIX
Operating Systems AIX Limit directory Size in AIX Post 303001466 by rbatte1 on Friday 4th of August 2017 04:24:53 AM
Old 08-04-2017
Why 'too many' filesystems? How many do you have already? The OS will cope with many more than you could likely want.

You mention multiple SAN disks, and that makes me wonder a little. Are you worried that you would have to allocate a new disk from the SAN and use them directly as your filesystem? You should be building the provisioned storage into volume groups and slicing a filesystem of whatever size you want from that.

As a starter to help you, can you show us the output from:-
Code:
lspv
lsvg
lsvg -l rootvg
lsvg -l othervg
df -k

Kind regards,
Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limit size of the file

How do I limit size of a file to 1 MB or something like that under Linux? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: _hp_
4 Replies

2. Solaris

File size limit

I want to have a permanent file created - and limit the size that this file can grow.. I want a circular file.. ie max size of file is 10 mb.. and if any new data written to file the oldest data removed.. How can I do this? I am on solaris 9 x86 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File Size Limit

Hi, I have a problem writing or copying a file 2GB or larger to either the second or third disk on my C8000. I've searched this forum and found some good information on this but still nothing to solve the problem. I'm running hpux 11i, JFS3.3 and disk version 4 (from fstyp) on all 3 disks. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HaidoodFaulkauf
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limit Folder Size

Is there a way to limit a certain folder size(e.g. Documents, Desktop)? :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tisdmin
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can I limit the size of a directory?

Hi, I am not root, but I need to limit the size of my directory, so that it cannot contain more than 200M of stuff inside. Is this possible? Also, how can I see the total size of that directory? If I do ls -ltrd, it does not give me the size of all the files inside the directory. And if I do df... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
6 Replies

6. Linux

Limit directory size

Hello I want to limit the size of a directory; so a user cant copy more staff inside it then 5 Giga for example.. eg. /nfs/temp/jhon size can not increase more that 5Gb I havnt found anything on the net. Is there a way to do it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jredx
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

logrotate size limit

Hi i configured log rotate for a specific file. /var/log/sauer i configured create a file in logrotate.d # cat /etc/logrotate.d/sauer #this is a logrotate configuration file for msu_ng logs /var/log/sauer { rotate 5 size=1M daily compress ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: modcan
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limit on a File size.

Hi All, I want to store 32KB of file in Oracle DB into CLOB field. I am not able to insert more than 32KB of file into CLOB. So i want to put a limit on the file size. I am using k shell. My file size will dynamically increase its size, i want to check the file size if it is more than 32KB... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajeshorpu
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Directory size limit

Hey everyone I'm trying to limit the size a directory can be under Solaris 10. I can find plenty of guides to do it for user home directories, ut what I'm after is an absolute limit, regardless of the user. For example: I want /export/example/ to never pass say 5 GB, no matter what user is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodvikings
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete some of the files in the directory, if the directory size limits the specified size

To find the whole size of a particular directory i use "du -sk /dirname".. but after finding the direcory's size how do i make conditions like if the size of the dir is more than 1 GB i hav to delete some of the files inside the dir (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaal89
0 Replies
QUOTAON(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						QUOTAON(8)

NAME
quotaon, quotaoff -- turn filesystem quotas on and off SYNOPSIS
quotaon [-g] [-u] [-v] filesystem ... quotaon [-g] [-u] [-v] -a quotaoff [-g] [-u] [-v] filesystem ... quotaoff [-g] [-u] [-v] -a DESCRIPTION
quotaon announces to the system that disk quotas should be enabled on one or more filesystems. quotaoff announces to the system that the specified filesystems should have any disk quotas turned off. The filesystems specified must have entries in /etc/fstab and be mounted. quotaon expects each filesystem to have quota files named quota.user and quota.group which are located at the root of the associated file system. These defaults may be overridden in /etc/fstab. By default both user and group quotas are enabled. Available options: -a If the -a flag is supplied in place of any filesystem names, quotaon/quotaoff will enable/disable all the filesystems indicated in /etc/fstab to be read-write with disk quotas. By default only the types of quotas listed in /etc/fstab are enabled. -g Only group quotas listed in /etc/fstab should be enabled/disabled. -u Only user quotas listed in /etc/fstab should be enabled/disabled. -v Causes quotaon and quotaoff to print a message for each filesystem where quotas are turned on or off. Specifying both -g and -u is equivalent to the default. FILES
quota.user at the filesystem root with user quotas quota.group at the filesystem root with group quotas /etc/fstab filesystem table SEE ALSO
quota(1), libquota(3), fstab(5), edquota(8), quotacheck(8), repquota(8) HISTORY
The quotaon command appeared in 4.2BSD. BSD
December 11, 1993 BSD