Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Can't grep name of process
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can't grep name of process Post 303001441 by MadeInGermany on Thursday 3rd of August 2017 03:41:48 PM
Old 08-03-2017
Mabe the process name is too long for pgrep then use pgrep -f (run on the full args).

---------- Post updated at 14:41 ---------- Previous update was at 13:52 ----------

In your post both the second grep(-only) does list the grep process and nothing else!?
--
The following uses the [ ] trick to not find itself (its own arguments) in the ps list.
Code:
ps -efl | awk '/Introscope_WebView[.]lax/ {print $3}'

While [ ] can contain any of the characters, a literal dot is preferred because it also changes the wildcard dot (regular expression!) into a literal dot.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep for a process

Hi, I want to grep within a script for a process. The problem is I just no the name of the process not its location. I tried the following: ps -ef | grep demo but than I get also processes which run from the directory demo or where I file like demo.c is open. So I am searching for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bensky
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill a process from a grep

Soz im a bit newbie... I want to do: ps -A | grep firefox | kill $1 it should kill the pid associated, but it doesnt work. $1 is the pid (if i do a awk {'print $1'} i get it ) , but kill doesnt take it as such... How can i do it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ierpe
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep the number of self process

Dear All, I plan to write a script and in the beginning, I will check if there's any existing previous process running, if YEs, then exit directly, if Not, then continue. #!/bin/bash NUM=`ps -ef | grep $0 | grep -v grep | wc -l` ps -ef | grep $0 | grep -v grep echo "NUM ==> $NUM" if... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep the process id and kill all the filtered process

Hi I want to write a shell script which can find the process id's of all the process and kill them eg: ps ax | grep rv_ 3015 ? S 0:00 /home/vivek/Desktop/rv_server 3020 ? S 0:00 /home/vivek/Desktop/rv_gps 3022 ? S 0:00 /home/vivek/Desktop/rv_show ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek_naragund
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep for a certain process

Hey all, I got some help last week and It will temporarily work We have a certain process that runs several processes within it. Here is an example: Date - 0:04 process1-database: db (state) Date - 0:04 process1-database: db (state) Date - 0:04... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command to show only process name

Can I modify the grep command to show only a process name? Currently I run ps -efa | grep chk_web to get the following: mousr 3395 1 0 09:36:06 pts/10 0:00 sh /var/opt/scripts/chk_web.sh Can this be changed in any way to get only: /var/opt/scripts/chk_web.sh or chk_web.sh. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: runnerpaul
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep the process id

Hi How to grep the process id and take it as a variable.i tried to get the value 9953 to a variable and could not with my little bit of linux exp,can any one help netstat -ptlen | grep 10000 tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:10000 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 0 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikatakavi
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep process with two strings

Hi, I am trying to get the PID of a process that is defunct. I have two quesitons on this. 1) how do I pass in two strings? This is what I am using now: ps -ef |egrep -i "programname|<defunct>" But this returns multiple results with the word defunct in them. 2) How do I make it so that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ChickenPox
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep a specific process name

Hello, I want to grep a specific process named "TEST" in AIX but not only is it showing what I want but also listing others that have the similar name. How can I only list "TEST"? I've tried using options grep -w with no change and grep -o isn't supported in my environment. Please advise. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: seekryts15
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to grep the process

I have user1 run a script called logginexpert.sh while has this line of code sleep 888I then login to another putty session with another user2 and try to grep for the logginexpert.sh process using ps -ef | grep exSunOS mymac 5.11 11.2 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise But, i dont get any... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
20 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)