Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Please help - Command to Subtract two numbers without losing prefix zeros Post 303001428 by drl on Thursday 3rd of August 2017 07:44:51 AM
Old 08-03-2017
Hi.

Also zsh, for a file z7:
Code:
zsh <<'EOF'
typeset -Z7 LOGNUM
LOGNUM=95
((LOGNUM=$LOGNUM-1))
echo "$LOGNUM"
EOF

producing:
Code:
$ ./z7

On a system like:
Code:
OS, ker|rel, machine: Linux, 3.16.0-4-amd64, x86_64
Distribution        : Debian 8.8 (jessie) 
zsh 5.0.7

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK solution to subtract multiple columns of numbers

Hope somebody is happy. NR==1 { num_columns=split( $0, menuend ); next; } { split( $0, substrend ); for ( i=1; i<=NF; i++ ) { minuend -= substrend; } } END { print "Result:"; for ( i=1; i<=num_columns; i++ ) { printf(... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: awkward
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prefix integer with zeros

I want an integer to be prefix with some zeros so that it makes the integer 5 digit always: For eg: if the digit is 8 i need 00008 if the digit is 8976 ans sud be 08976. Could anyone say simple and efficient commands to this in ksh. Thanks a lot... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PRKS
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Losing Command History from Prior Sessions

We are running AIX. Shell is ksh. I used to have the ability to recall commands from prior sessions using <exc> k. Now, suddenly, I only can recall commands run during the current session. When I start a session, I have no command history. Also, when I run the shell command from a current... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boylepeterj
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split Function Prefix Numbers

Hello, Hello, I use the following command to split a file: split -Number_of_Lines Input_File MyPrefix_ output is MyPrefix_a MyPrefix_b MyPrefix_c ...... Instead, how can I get numerical values like: MyPrefix_1 MyPrefix_2 MyPrefix_3 ...... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending zeros to numbers using awk

hi i want to append zeros to a given number ( varying digits). the total length of the output should be 10 digits. For example: 1)input is var=347 output should be NewVar=0000000347 2) input is var=123456 output should be NewVar=0000123456 i am able to acheive this using typeset... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: somi2yoga
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fill missing numbers in second column with zeros

Hi All, I have 100 files with names like this: 1.dat, 2.dat, 3.dat until 100.dat. My dat files look like this: 42323 0 438939 1 434 0 0.9383 3434 120.23 3 234 As you can see in the second column, some numbers are missing. I want to fill those missing places with 0's in all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numbers with leading zeros

Hi, i have a variable which conatins values like 00001,0003,00067,00459. I want to use the values one by one and in the same form as they are like 00001,0003,00067,00459. Also can anyone tell me how to increment those numbers by 1,keeping the format as same like 00002,0004,00068,00460.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arijitsaha
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Losing carriage return (X0D) after running awk command

Hi Forum. I'm running the following awk command to extract the suffix value (pos 38) from the "AM00" record and append to the end of the "AM01" record. awk 'substr($0,13,4)=="AM00" {SUFFIX = substr($0,38,2)} substr($0,13,4)=="AM01" {$0 = $0 SUFFIX} 1' before.txt > after.txt Before.txt:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract Uniq prefix from a start and end prefix

Dear All, assume i have a file with content: <Start>6000</Start> <Stop>7599</Stop> the output is: 6000 7000 7100 7200 7300 7400 7599 how should we use any awk, sed, perl can do this task, means to extract the uniq prefixes from the start and stop prefix. Thanks Jimmy (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove trailing zeros from numbers

Hi, I am trying to remove trailing zeros from numbers in a csv file. CSV Input : 0.5000,abc,2.00,2.400,285.850,285a.850,205.180800,mno000,a0b0,2.860 Expected Output : .5,abc,2,2.4,285.85,285a.850,205.1808,mno000,a0b0,2.86 Can you please help. Thanks. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: manubatham20
11 Replies
typeset(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        typeset(1)

NAME
typeset, whence - shell built-in functions to set/get attributes and values for shell variables and functions SYNOPSIS
typeset [ +- HLRZfilrtux [n]] [ name [ = value]]... whence [-pv] name... DESCRIPTION
typeset sets attributes and values for shell variables and functions. When typeset is invoked inside a function, a new instance of the variables name is created. The variables value and type are restored when the function completes. The following list of attributes may be specified: -H This flag provides UNIX to host-name file mapping on non-UNIX machines. -L Left justify and remove leading blanks from value. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field; otherwise, it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. When the variable is assigned to, it is filled on the right with blanks or trun- cated, if necessary, to fit into the field. Leading zeros are removed if the -Z flag is also set. The -R flag is turned off. -R Right justify and fill with leading blanks. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field, otherwise it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. The field is left filled with blanks or truncated from the end if the variable is reas- signed. The -L flag is turned off. -Z Right justify and fill with leading zeros if the first non-blank character is a digit and the -L flag has not been set. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field; otherwise, it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. -f The names refer to function names rather than variable names. No assignments can be made and the only other valid flags are -t, -u and -x. The flag -t turns on execution tracing for this function. The flag -u causes this function to be marked undefined. The FPATH variable will be searched to find the function definition when the function is referenced. The flag -x allows the func- tion definition to remain in effect across shell procedures invoked by name. -i Parameter is an integer. This makes arithmetic faster. If n is non-zero it defines the output arithmetic base; otherwise, the first assignment determines the output base. -l All upper-case characters are converted to lower-case. The upper-case flag, -u is turned off. -r The given names are marked readonly and these names cannot be changed by subsequent assignment. -t Tags the variables. Tags are user definable and have no special meaning to the shell. -u All lower-case characters are converted to upper-case characters. The lower-case flag, -l is turned off. -x The given names are marked for automatic export to the environment of subsequently-executed commands. The -i attribute can not be specified along with -R, -L, -Z, or -f. Using + rather than - causes these flags to be turned off. If no name arguments are given but flags are specified, a list of names (and optionally the values) of the variables which have these flags set is printed. (Using + rather than - keeps the values from being printed.) If no names and flags are given, the names and attributes of all variables are printed. For each name, whence indicates how it would be interpreted if used as a command name. The -v flag produces a more verbose report. The -p flag does a path search for name even if name is an alias, a function, or a reserved word. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), set(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 typeset(1)