Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting For loop and read from different directories Post 303001379 by baris35 on Wednesday 2nd of August 2017 03:40:28 PM
Old 08-02-2017
Hello All,
Thanks for your comments.

I'd like to inform you that MadeInGermany's script worked out as expected.
As I am not familiar with different kind of softwares/scripts etc, I am unable to provide feedback about the output of other alternatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInGermany
The following bash script is typed from a mobile device and untested.
It uses 3 extra file handles, so it can read in a round-robin order.
Code:
while
  read a <&3; aexit=$?
  read b <&4; bexit=$?
  read c <&5; cexit=$?
  [ $aexit -eq 0 ] || [ $bexit -eq 0 ] || [ $cexit -eq 0 ]
do
  [ $aexit -eq 0 ] && printf "%s\n" "$a"
  [ $bexit -eq 0 ] && printf "%s\n" "$b"
  [ $cexit -eq 0 ] && printf "%s\n" "$c"
done 3< <( ls A/ ) 4< <( ls B/ ) 5< <( ls C/ )

and produces the following order
Code:
directory A, file 1.txt
directory B, file a.txt
directory C, file 101.txt
directory A, file 2.txt
directory B, file b.txt
directory C, file 102.txt

Improvements are welcome.
Thank You All for your valuable comments / recommendations

Kind regards
Boris

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to loop through all files and directories.

I'm trying to write a script that will loop through all files and directories down from a path I give it, and change the permissions and ACL. I was able to do the obvious way and change the files and folders on the same level as teh path...but I need it to continue on deeper into the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheetobandito
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to loop through directories to touch files

Hi, Please help me on this. Suppose i have the following directory structure. /app/data /app/data/eng /app/data/med /app/data/bsc each of the directories data,data/eng,data/med,data/bsc holds files with date extension like a.20081230 b.20081230 and so on I need a script to loop... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sussane
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie: How to loop round sub-directories

I want a bit of shell script that will let me loop round all the sub-directories in a directory (i.e. ignoring any ordinary files in that directory). Let's say I just want to echo the names of the sub-directories. This sounds like it should be pretty easy - but not for me, it isn't! All help... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjhancock
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop to move files in different directories

Hi, I have various log files in different paths. e.g. a/b/c/d/e/server.log a/b/c/d/f/server.log a/b/c/d/g/server.log a/b/c/h/e/server.log a/b/c/h/f/server.log a/b/c/h/g/server.log a/b/c/i/e/server.log a/b/c/i/e/server.log a/b/c/i/e/server.log and above these have an archive folder... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: acc01
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

For Loop Range Create Directories

Hello, I am a bit stumped on this. I am attempting to create 24 empty directories with a loop. Seems like I have incorrect syntax. When I run the following command I get the error below. Command $ for i in {2..24}; do mkdir $i_MAY_2011 ; doneError x 24 mkdir: missing operand Try `mkdir... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To read directories and file

Hi ; I want to write a shell script to read all files and directories(recursively) given in path along with their user permissions and store that result in one file as File path Userpermissions ===== =========== I m new to linux and my dont kno much abt shell scripting. I will... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaypadvi
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read statement within while read loop

hi, this is my script #!/bin/ksh cat temp_file.dat | while read line do read test if ]; then break else echo "ERROR" fi done when i execute this code , the script does wait for the user input . it directly prints "ERROR" and terminates after the no. of times as there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siva1612
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing multiple directories in loop

Hi Guys, I need to access multiple directories whcih is following similar structure and need to copy those files in desitination path. for eg : if ] then cd ${DIR}/Mon/loaded echo "copying files to $GRS_DIR" cp * ${DIR}/Mon/ echo "Files of Monday are Copied" fi if ] then... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Giving read write permission to user for specific directories and sub directories.

I have searched this quite a long time but couldn't find the right method for me to use. I need to assign read write permission to the user for specific directories and it's sub directories and files. I do not want to use ACL. This is for Solaris. Please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blinkingdan
1 Replies
App::Nopaste::Command(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				App::Nopaste::Command(3pm)

NAME
App::Nopaste::Command - command-line utility for App::Nopaste nopaste - command-line utility to nopaste DESCRIPTION
This application will take some text on STDIN and give you a URL on STDOUT. You may also specify files as arguments, they will be concatenated together into one large nopaste. OPTIONS
-d, --desc The one line description of your paste. The default is usually the first few characters of your text. -n, --name Your nickname, usually displayed with the paste. Default: $NOPASTE_NICK then $USER. -l, --lang The language of the nopaste. The values accepted depend on the nopaste service. There is no mapping done yet. Default: perl. -c, --chan The channel for the nopaste, not always relevant. Usually tied to a pastebot in that channel which will announce your paste. -s, --services The nopaste services to try, in order. You may also specify this in $NOPASTE_SERVICES (space-separated list of service names, e.g. "Shadowcat Gist"). -L, --list List available nopaste services. -x, --copy If specified, automatically copy the URL to your clipboard, using the Clipboard module. -p, --paste If specified, use only the clipboard as input, using the Clipboard module. -o, --open If specified, automatically open the URL using Browser::Open. Browser::Open tries a number of different browser commands depending on your OS. --private If specified, the paste access will be restricted to those that know the URL. -q, --quiet If specified, do not warn or complain about broken services. perl v5.14.2 2011-08-26 App::Nopaste::Command(3pm)