Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Strange third argument in shell function Post 303001039 by digioleg54 on Tuesday 25th of July 2017 02:54:04 PM
Old 07-25-2017
Strange third argument in shell function

In one of my shell function I found the following

Code:
 set_default_values () {
         prog=$1
        PROC_DT=$2
        RESET_ALL="${3-N}"
        #echo "Processing date as passed = [$2], Program name = [$1]"

I understand the first and second arguments, but don't understand what is
Code:
 RESET_ALL="${3-N}"

I know that I send only two arguments, why do I need third? If I don't send it. And why is it strange N letter? The code is very old and I am converting it to Perl now

Thanks for contribution

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing Argument to Function

May i know how to pass an argument to a function in a shell script? Sorry, i din stated that it is in a shell script in my previous post. Means: checkStatus() { ........... } read status; I wanna use the status in the function checkstatus, how... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AkumaTay
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell: creating different arrays based on function argument

hi, I was wondering if there was a good way to create an array within a function, where the name is based on a passed argument? I tried this: _____________________________ func(){ #take in 1st arg as the arrayname arrayName=$1 let i=0 while read line do arrayName=${line} let i+=1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nix21
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pass argument to function

Hi, Can someone please explain to me how I can get a function to recognize a file given as an argument to a script. Suppose the script has the argument as follows: sh script file and the function is as follows: function display_file () { cat $1 } and it s then called #main program... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Knotty
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Very strange things happened in the shell function

Here is the script: #!/bin/bash #set -xv RAWDATAFILE="temp1" GOODDATAFILE="temp2" FindSOS() { local NUM=0 #return value for the id of SOS local cnt=1 if grep "EOS" $1 then sed -e 's/.*<CobDate>//' -e 's/<\/.*//' <$1 > ${RAWDATAFILE} sed -n -e '/EOS/,/SOS/ s/*/&/p' <${RAWDATAFILE}... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tpltp
2 Replies

5. Linux

Strange problem with gettimeoftheday function

Hi all, I am using pthread_cond_timedwait function in my program, to generate the time period of waiting i use gettimeoftheday function. When i run the code after compiling i get a core dump error. However my program runs perfectly if i give a printf statement before the gettimeoftheday... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xyz123456
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing more than one argument in a function

Hi All, Calling a function with one argument and storing the return value in a shell script is as below:( so far I know) value="`fun_1 "argument1"`" Its working perfectly for me. Can u help me with passing more than one argument and storing the return value Thnaks in advance JS (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jisha
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing commandline argument to a function

Hi, I have 2 ksh scripts. Script1.ksh contains function definition. script1.ksh function f1() { while getopts a:c: args do case $args in a) ARG1=$OPTARG ;; c) ARG2=$OPTARG ;; \?) echo "Error no valid Arguments passed" esac done echo $ARG1 echo $ARG2 script2.sh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass function as argument to a function

I have the following code : function1 () { print "January" } function2() { case $1 in January) print "Dzisiaj mamy styczen" ;; *) ;; } main() { (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: presul
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing argument from one function to another

Hi all, In the given script code . I want to pass the maximum value that variable "i" will have in function DivideJobs () to variable $max of function SubmitCondorJob(). Any help? Thanks #!/bin/bash ... (55 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrjrasaxena
55 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange function call in the shell script parse_prog_args $@

I am converting shell script to Perl. In shell I have a code parse_prog_args() { if then while do case $1 in -P* | -p* ) export PROCESS_DATE=$2 export MM=`echo $2 | cut -c5-6` export DD=`echo $2 | cut -c7-8` export YY=`echo $2 | cut -c3-4` export... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
4 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)