Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Powerhouses and mainstream poll Post 303001001 by bakunin on Tuesday 25th of July 2017 03:39:02 AM
Old 07-25-2017
First off: we haven't replaced the "content industry" by "the community" at all: we have replaced the former content industry by some criminals able to program chat-bots. The internet information highway left truth as roadkill, so to say. To think that these criminals aren't an "industry" in themselves is an illusion. Or do you think the likes of Steve Bannon would be able to spew their hatred without a lot of money behind them?

Second: in general we lack to resources to prove what we are told. If someone tells me that somewhere in Africa X is the case i am in no position to find out if he is telling me the truth or not, because i am far from Africa and have no oportunity to find out for myself.

This is the reason why most of us in most cases have to ultimately believe what we are told. Research no shows that whatever is told is believed more easily the more simplistic it is. Example: the crisis of 1929 and the subsequent depression which is said to have been instrumental in the rise of the Nazis in Germany. Of course their "explanation" of what happened was utter nonsense - "the jews are to blame" - but this "explanation" was 5 words long, whereas any serious explanation of why and how cyclic crises plagued modern capitalism takes a lot more time and effort to explain.

We face basically the same situation now when we try to explain refugees, immigrants, the current crisis, etc.. The "explanations" are believed the more easily the more simplistic they are, regardless of their truth.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

select vs poll

Hi, Off late I had been looking at the differences b/w select() & poll() system calls. The requirement is to reduce the overhead, processor power in waiting for the data. In the kind of connections under consideration there would be very frequent data arriving on the sockets, so poll() fares... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: smanu
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to poll for new files?

Hi , i have a requirement in which i have to ftp files to unix from windows and vice versa. I have to encrypt files in windows which will then be decrypted in unix and vice versa. Now the process needs to be automated ..therefore when windows server or unix server recieves the files a shell... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lifzgud
5 Replies

3. Programming

pipe() and poll() problem in C

Hi all, Im trying to do a simple program which ask the user for a unix command with the arguments. The program fork and the two process communicate with pipes. The child process call execvp with the command and the father process read the result of the execvp via the pipe. This program works... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackmamba21
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use poll() for I/O multiplex

Hi, guys: I want to write my own shell using C. I am confused about the usage of I/O multiplex. Does anyone know some examples or explain it to me ? Thanks so much (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tomlee
1 Replies

5. AIX

Poll of sorts - on LDAP

1) Do you use LDAP on AIX? (as a client) 2) If yes, what LDAP server technology do you use: a) IDS (or ITDS) - IBM Tivoli Directory Server b) AD c) openLDAP d) other - please list. I ask, because I am looking at openLDAP as well as IDS and am wondering if there is a clear preference I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MichaelFelt
4 Replies
XFM_MIME.TYPES(5)							XFM							 XFM_MIME.TYPES(5)

NAME
xfm_mime.types - suffix based fall back mime type information DESCRIPTION
When xfm(1) cannot determine the type of a file using the values in xfm_magic(5), this file is used to guess a type of a file. The file shipped with xfm by default just tells to include the files ~/.mime.types and /etc/mime.types to get the system wide settings. FORMAT
There is one entry per line. Empty lines and lines starting with a hash (#) are ignored. Prior entries overwrite later ones. If a line starts with !include or include the rest of the line is treated as a filename to process before continuing with the rest of the file. (If the filename starts with a tilde followed by a slash, the tilde is replaced by the content of the HOME environment variable.) Other lines contain the name of a mime type followed by an arbitrary number of filename suffixes, separated by spaces or tabs. A file that got no other type associated by content and whose name ends with a dot followed by the specified suffix, will be treated as type mime type. Xfm only recognizes suffixes with at most 7 characters. EXAMPLES
Otherwise unidentified files anding in .c are treated as text/x-csrc: text/x-csrc c Same with .c++, cpp, cxx or cc as text/x-c++src: text/x-c++src c++ cpp cxx cc FILES
$HOME/.xfm/xfm_mime.types Unless xfm(1) is told to look at a different place via X resource Xfm.mimeTypesFile, this is the first place xfm looks for a file with the describes format. /etc/X11/xfm/xfm_mime.types If the first file does not exists, xfm(1) (unless it gets told a different place via the X resource Xfm.systemwideMimeTypesFile) looks for this file. $HOME/.mime.types General user settings normaly included from /etc/X11/xfm/xfm_mime.types /etc/mime.types General system wide settings normaly included from /etc/X11/xfm/xfm_mime.types SEE ALSO
xfm(1) xfm 20 April, 2006 XFM_MIME.TYPES(5)