Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Change login process
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Change login process Post 303000917 by halfboy on Sunday 23rd of July 2017 03:35:37 PM
Old 07-23-2017
Change login process

Hello everybody !

At the beginning - I hope everything will be understandable as I know that my english skills are not as good as I would like.

I use Manjaro Linux for one year, previously used Ubuntu for 6 years. Today I got an idea to create small USB electronic device but I don't know how to manage it under Linux. What this device should do ? This will be small box with USB interface, inside will be electronics to detect RFID card. If user will approach his RFID card to device - Linux should login that user to system. I suppose that I should write small linux kernel driver to USB that will be run in background and each correct try will log user. Of course, when user has no card it is still possible to login by login and password. My biggest problem is: how to change behaviour of standard Linux login window? What should I google or where find information? I'm not afraid with changing kernel, writing new modules, I would like to learn Linux at all Smilie

Thanks in advance for ideas !
Greetings
Mateusz

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change login dir

Ok when I log in to my terminal I land in a dir. How can I change the dir that I start from when I login? Thanks for the help, sure it is a no brainer for you guys cd (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lorcet222
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password change at login????

I want Red Hat Linux 7.2 prompt for new password at next login time. How can I do this????? passwd -f don't work for linux...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrivas
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Login screen change

If I want to change a Solaris 8 login screen to add a Company name what do I need to do ? Current login prompt SunOS 5.8 login: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miredale
2 Replies

4. AIX

Change users login name

Hi, I need to change some users login name in AIX. With solaris i donīt had problems, i have used "usermod". But in AIX the usermod command donīt have the same behavior. Can someone give me a tip on how to perform these changes? Thanks in advance. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacewalker
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I want to change login failure message, "login incorrect"

I want to change login failure message, "login incorrect" deny user login for user id tom sudo passwd -l tom type username and type password on login prompt and then it will display login failure message "login incorrect" console ############ login: tom password: login incorrect... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lifegeek
2 Replies

6. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

How can i change my login ID?

Hello, How can i change my login ID? My login ID is younus_syed. Thanks & Regards Younus Syed (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: younus_syed
10 Replies

7. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

change of login id..

Hi, Can I change my login id having my current account alive? I found one thread related to this which shows that it is possible. I also agree that this is not done in normal terms. Still, can I request for it? I really dont want to lose my current account and my post count. would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: clx
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change Last Login within /etc/shadow

Was wondering if any had a script to change the last login field within the /etc/shadow? Need to it run against machines to "reset" the last login so local accounts will not expire if account isn't access within the mandatory setting we are force to implement. Thanks!!!! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Luv_STL
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

change login

Hi, I have a script called from php, which executes the following code: basename $arxivo .doc > nombre nom=`cat nombre` antiword -t $arxivo > $nom.txt rm nombre The problem is that I do not antiword conversion. I guess the problem must be that the user does not have permissions... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uri_crack
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Change Password on First Login

Hi there, Is there a way to ask the solaris user to change passwordo n the first login. I am looking at how to do this for every single new user. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
5 Replies
GERMINATE-PKG-DIFF(1)					  Ubuntu General Commands Manual				     GERMINATE-PKG-DIFF(1)

NAME
germinate-pkg-diff -- compare seeds against currently installed packages SYNOPSIS
germinate-pkg-diff [-l file] [-m {i|r|d}] [-a arch] [seeds] DESCRIPTION
germinate-pkg-diff compares the expansion of a list of seed packages against the set of packages installed on the current system. When con- structing seeds for a software distribution, it can be used to iteratively find packages installed on developers' systems that should be included in the seeds. A list of seeds against which to compare may be supplied as non-option arguments. Seeds from which they inherit will be added automatically. The default is 'desktop'. OPTIONS
-l, --list file Read the list of currently installed packages from file. The default is to read the output of dpkg --get-selections, and any supplied file should be in the same format. -m, --mode {i|r|d} Set the output mode as follows: i Show the dpkg selections needed to install just these seeds. List unseeded but installed files as ``deinstall'', and seeded but uninstalled files as ``install''. r List unseeded but installed files as ``install'', and seeded but uninstalled files as ``deinstall''. d Show the differences between the packages specified by the seeds and the list of installed packages, in a somewhat diff-like for- mat. -S, --seed-source source,... Fetch seeds from the specified sources. The default is http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/seeds/. -s, --seed-dist dist Fetch seeds for distribution dist. The default is ubuntu.precise. -d, --dist dist,... Operate on the specified distributions. The default is precise. Listing multiple distributions may be useful, for example, when exam- ining both a released distribution and its security updates. -a, --arch arch Operate on architecture arch. The default is i386. BUGS
--mode r is useless as dpkg --set-selections input. AUTHORS
Lamont Jones <lamont@ubuntu.com> Colin Watson <cjwatson@canonical.com> germinate-pkg-diff is copyright (C) 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 Canonical Ltd. See the GNU General Public License version 2 or later for copying conditions. A copy of the GNU General Public License is available in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. Ubuntu Jul 18, 2007 Ubuntu