Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Answers to Frequently Asked Questions Fixed width file issue and resolutions Post 303000763 by rbatte1 on Wednesday 19th of July 2017 08:28:17 AM
Old 07-19-2017
Welcome santoshkm,

I have a few to questions pose in response first:-
  • What have you tried so far?
  • What output/errors do you get?
  • Can you show us the data piped through od -x so we can see the character codes? Having the original data on the next line would be useful too.
  • What OS and version are you using?
  • What are your preferred tools? (C, shell, perl, awk, etc.)
  • What logical process have you considered? (to help steer us to follow what you are trying to achieve)
Most importantly, What have you tried so far?

There are probably many ways to achieve most tasks, so giving us an idea of your style and thoughts will help us guide you to an answer most suitable to you so you can adjust it to suit your needs in future.

We're all here to learn and getting the relevant information will help us all.

Thanks, in advance,
Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fixed Width file using AWK

I am using the following command at the Unix prompt to make my 'infile' into a fixed width file of 100 characters. awk '{printf "%-100s\n",$0}' infile > outfile However, there are some records with a special character "©" These records are using 3 characters in place of one and my record... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alok.benjwal
2 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Help with Fixed width File Parsing

I am trying to parse a Fixed width file with data as below. I am trying to assign column values from each record to variables. When I parse the data, the spaces in all coumns are dropped. I would like to retain the spaces as part of the dat stored in the variables. Any help is appreciated. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sate911
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

summing up the fields in fixed width file

Hi, I have a fixed width file with some records as given below: " 1000Nalsdjflj243324jljlj" "-0300Njfowjljl309933fsf" " 0010Njsfsjklj342344fsl" I want to sum-up first field values(i.e from 2nd character to 6th character)of each record. so for the above file i want to add (1000 - 300+... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srilaxmi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fixed-Width file from Oracle

Hi All, I have created a script which generates FIXED-WIDTH file by executing Oracle query. SELECT RPAD(NVL(col1,CHR(9)),20)||NVL(col2,CHR(9))||NVL(col3,CHR(9) FROM XYZ It generates the data file with proper alignment. But if same file i transfer to windows server or Mainframe... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit.Sagpariya
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two fixed width file

Hi Guys I am checking the treads to get the answer but i am not able to get the answer for my question. I have two files. First file is a pattern file and the second file is the file i want to search in it. Output will be the lines from file2. File1: P2797f12af 44751228... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshul_er
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fixed width file comparision not working

when i used diff/cmp/cat -v commands i am getting the difference cmp command cmp -l file1 file2 |head -1 1300 15 10 Manually checked records. record length and data matched. diff file1 file2 3C3 <record information Manually checked records. record length and data matched.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Length of a fixed width file

I have a fixed width file of length 53. when is try to get the lengh of the record of that file i get 2 different answers. awk '{print length;exit}' <File_name> The above code gives me length 50. wc -L <File_name> The above code gives me length 53. Please clarify on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amrutha24
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alter Fixed Width File

Thank u so much .Its working fine as expected. ---------- Post updated at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:46 PM ---------- I need one more help. I have another file(fixed length) that will get negative value (ex:-00000000003000) in postion (98 - 112) then i have to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinus
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace using awk on fixed width file.

All, I used to use following command to replace specific location in a fixed width file. Recently looks like my command stopped working as intended. We are on AIX unix. awk 'function repl(s,f,t,v) { return substr(s,1,f-1) sprintf("%-*s", t-f+1, v) substr(s,t+1) } NR<=10 {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk issue splitting a fixed-width file containing line feed in data

Hi Forum. I have the following script that splits a large fixed-width file into smaller multiple fixed-width files based on input segment type. The main command in the script is: awk -v search_col_pos=$search_col_pos -v search_str_len=$search_str_len -v segment_type="$segment_type"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
8 Replies
Plack::Middleware::Lint(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			      Plack::Middleware::Lint(3pm)

NAME
Plack::Middleware::Lint - Validate request and response SYNOPSIS
use Plack::Middleware::Lint; my $app = sub { ... }; # your app or middleware $app = Plack::Middleware::Lint->wrap($app); # Or from plackup plackup -e 'enable "Lint"' myapp.psgi DESCRIPTION
Plack::Middleware::Lint is a middleware component to validate request and response environment formats. You are strongly suggested to use this middleware when you develop a new framework adapter or a new PSGI web server that implements the PSGI interface. This middleware is enabled by default when you run plackup or other launcher tools with the default environment development value. DEBUGGING
Because of how this middleware works, it may not be easy to debug Lint errors when you encounter one, unless you're writing a PSGI web server or a framework. For example, when you're an application developer (user of some framework) and see errors like: Body should be an array ref or filehandle at lib/Plack/Middleware/Lint.pm line XXXX there's no clue about which line of your application produces that error. We're aware of the issue, and have a plan to spit out more helpful errors to diagnose the issue. But until then, currently there are some workarounds to make this easier. For now, the easiest one would be to enable Plack::Middleware::REPL outside of the Lint middleware, like: plackup -e 'enable "REPL"; enable "Lint"' app.psgi so that the Lint errors are caught by the REPL shell, where you can inspect all the variables in the response. AUTHOR
Tatsuhiko Miyagawa Tokuhiro Matsuno SEE ALSO
Plack perl v5.14.2 2011-09-22 Plack::Middleware::Lint(3pm)