Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Untar to a particular directory is Failing Post 303000757 by rbatte1 on Wednesday 19th of July 2017 07:12:55 AM
Old 07-19-2017
What would happen if you did this:-
Code:
cd /target/directory
tar -xvf /path/to/tarball

I think that mounting /tmp using swap space is the default way that Solaris works, so I don't think there is an issue there unless you either boot (because, as swap, it doesn't persist) or you fill it and you server cannot swap.

Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can you UnTar files to a different directory?

Suppose you have a TAR file created with a different directory structure and you need to UnTar (or explode) the files to a different directory structure. How can this be done? If TAR command cannot do this, are there any other alternatives (any other command) available to UnTar a .Tar file? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joshivaibhav
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

untar

i have try to untar the file in same location. But it gave the error # tar -xvf TSMSRVAIX5220.tar x tivoli.tsm.devices.acsls, 757760 bytes, 1480 media blocks. tar: 0511-169 A directory checksum error on media; 4011 not equal to 8222. How can i rectify this prob. Thanks in advance ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakash96453
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Untar problems

Hi, I am new to unix scripting. I have written a java program which will initialize a sftp connection and copy a unix script from my machine to a remote server. Then i initalized an ssh connection and i executed the script. This script contains a sequnece of commands and one of them is to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinothg
2 Replies

4. Programming

Not able to use NFS mounted directory as buffer for untar & unzip.

Hi, For a new requirement, we are trying to use NFS mounted directory as the buffer (TMP_DIR) for untar. Target OS- VxWorks Host OS - Windows Embedded. mounted a directory in wondows onto VxWorks. During untar process of GNU we come across utime, for chaning the time stamp of the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: suraj.bc
0 Replies

5. AIX

untar

Hi, How can i untar a set of files in to different directory. This is content tar -tvf samba.tar drwxrwxrwx 0 0 0 Nov 28 18:35:41 2008 samba/ -rw-r--r-- 0 0 0 Nov 18 15:12:40 2008 samba/b.txt -rw-r--r-- 0 0 0 Nov 18 15:12:40 2008 samba/c.txt -rw-r--r-- 0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: allwin
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cp, chown, untar

hello i want shell script. i have a source.txt /home/user409/public_html/test/ /home/user09876/public_html/xdsss/ /home/user9765/public_html/320xxx/ . . . maybe 1000 lines i want . 1.read a source.txt 2.untar special.tar.gz into these directory in source.txt 3.i want to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: topic32428285
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Untar specific directory and strip leading directories

Ok so I know the title was probably confusing so here goes: I have a tarball (gzipped) that has a nested directory structure . For example: my.tar.gz (contents) --- ------ --------- ------------ --------------- ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DC Slick
2 Replies

8. Solaris

zip -r <directory> failing due to 2GB limit - Just asking opinion

Hi, Am trying to run zip -r on a 2.4G directory and it is failing with the error below. I believe this is because of the 2G limit of the zip program. server101(oper01)/u01/temp$: date Thu Mar 15 12:53:44 NZDT 2012 server101(oper01)/u01/temp$: ls -l total 8 drwxr-x--x 4 oracle dba ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Unable to Untar

Hello, bash-2.05# tar -xvf sunos.tar tar: directory checksum error bash-2.05# file sunos.tar sunos.tar: data bash-2.05# Can someone please help me untar this. This is a Solaris 9 box. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zigi_p5
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Untar tar.gz to particular directory

Hi Guys, I am able to untar a tar.gz file. But it is again extracting the tar file to further child directory. I even tried the below command to untar it to particular directory. tar -zxvf gme_dly_sls_20120515035335.txt.tar.gz -C /sites/VSTAR/site/live/ftp/GMEUROPE I am getting the below... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
4 Replies
lofs(7FS)                                                          File Systems                                                          lofs(7FS)

NAME
lofs - loopback virtual file system SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/param.h> #include <sys/mount.h> int mount (const char* dir, const char* virtual, int mflag, lofs, NULL, 0); DESCRIPTION
The loopback file system device allows new, virtual file systems to be created, which provide access to existing files using alternate pathnames. Once the virtual file system is created, other file systems can be mounted within it, without affecting the original file sys- tem. However, file systems which are subsequently mounted onto the original file system are visible to the virtual file system, unless or until the corresponding mount point in the virtual file system is covered by a file system mounted there. virtual is the mount point for the virtual file system. dir is the pathname of the existing file system. mflag specifies the mount options; the MS_DATA bit in mflag must be set. If the MS_RDONLY bit in mflag is not set, accesses to the loop back file system are the same as for the underlying file system. Otherwise, all accesses in the loopback file system will be read-only. All other mount(2) options are inherited from the underlying file systems. A loopback mount of '/' onto /tmp/newroot allows the entire file system hierarchy to appear as if it were duplicated under /tmp/newroot, including any file systems mounted from remote NFS servers. All files would then be accessible either from a pathname relative to '/' or from a pathname relative to /tmp/newroot until such time as a file system is mounted in /tmp/newroot, or any of its subdirectories. Loopback mounts of '/' can be performed in conjunction with the chroot(2) system call, to provide a complete virtual file system to a process or family of processes. Recursive traversal of loopback mount points is not allowed. After the loopback mount of /tmp/newroot, the file /tmp/newroot/tmp/newroot does not contain yet another file system hierarchy; rather, it appears just as /tmp/newroot did before the loopback mount was performed (for example, as an empty directory). Examples lofs file systems are mounted using: mount -F lofs /tmp /mnt SEE ALSO
lofiadm(1M), mount(1M), chroot(2), mount(2), sysfs(2), vfstab(4), lofi(7D) WARNINGS
Loopback mounts must be used with care; the potential for confusing users and applications is enormous. A loopback mount entry in /etc/vfstab must be placed after the mount points of both directories it depends on. This is most easily accomplished by making the loop- back mount entry the last in /etc/vfstab. SunOS 5.10 10 Apr 2001 lofs(7FS)