Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: PID missing on my File.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting PID missing on my File. Post 303000726 by MadeInGermany on Tuesday 18th of July 2017 02:36:08 PM
Old 07-18-2017
Does the remote user have a csh/tcsh login shell?
Then nohup is a builtin - it does not use nohup.out file.
Use /usr/bin/nohup or \nohup to skip a builtin or alias.
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

what is the httpd.pid file usualy used for??

HI am new to unix! So i was looking one day at the server and i saw a file called httpd.pid,:confused: i asked the administrator but he didnt wanted to tel me so if you guys can help me that will be greath/... Thanks , BeoWulf (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beo
1 Replies

2. Programming

printing ppid,child pid,pid

question: for the below program i just printed the value for pid, child pid and parent pid why does it give me 6 values? i assume ppid is 28086 but can't figure out why there are 5 values printed instead of just two! can someone comment on that! #include<stdio.h> #define DIM 8 int... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a25khan
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Session PID & socket connection pid

1. If I use an software application(which connects to the database in the server) in my local pc, how many PID should be registered? Would there be PID for the session and another PID for socket connection? 2. I noticed (through netstat) that when I logged in using the my software application,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pcx26
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Retrieving PID from a file

Hello I need to retrieve the content of a file in the shell script file(.sh file). I store the Process ID of the a process in file.Only the PID is available in that file. Inside the shell script i want to retireve the content(PID) and need to check for the existence of the Process.Basically... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: appleforme1415
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to get pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable

Hi, I need to get the pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable and i want to use this value(pid) of the variable for some process. Please can anyone tell me how to get the pid of a process and store it in a variable. please help me on this. Thanks in advance, Amudha (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: samudha
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

netstat -p, missing PID/program name

I have a netstat command set up with awk to show which ports my box is listening on. The -p switch shows the PID/program name, too, which ordinarily would be very handy. However, several entries show up as just "-" for the program name which makes it hard to identify what is keeping the port open.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bilge
2 Replies

7. AIX

kill -3 <PID> ... where the output file goes?

Hi all, I am generating the coredump of my JBoss, and by default it puts it in to a particular directory. i.e. JBOSS_HOME/. I would like this output file to be created, lets say in /tmp/dump/. I tried the following: kill -3 9404940>/tmp/dump/out.txt But it created... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroon_a
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check who is writing to a file? (pid)

Hello, is there a way to check who is writing to a file? (pid) Like someone starts a ftp transfer, is uploading a file and I'd need to know which pid is actually writing to it. Or is there a way to check which file a process is currently accessing? Greetings and thanks for all your... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Systemd errors of missing file “No such file or directory” inspite of file being present

The contents of my service file srvtemplate-data-i4-s1.conf is Description=test service for users After=network.target local-fs.target Type=forking RemainAfterExit=no PIDFile=/data/i4/srvt.pid LimitCORE=infinity EnvironmentFile=%I . . . WantedBy=multi-user.target (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Pid file and process check

Hello, I am running ubuntu14.04 What I am trying to do is restart a process with a shell when pid is dead. I restored pid nr in a file and check with ps aux | grep -v grep | grep $(cat *.pid)| awk '{ print $2 }' While surfing on google, I have found an answer saying that restoring pid in a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
2 Replies
NICE(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   NICE(1)

NAME
nice, nohup - run a command at low priority (sh only) SYNOPSIS
nice [ -number ] command [ arguments ] nohup command [ arguments ] DESCRIPTION
Nice executes command with low scheduling priority. If the number argument is present, the priority is incremented (higher numbers mean lower priorities) by that amount up to a limit of 20. The default number is 10. The super-user may run commands with priority higher than normal by using a negative priority, e.g. `--10'. Nohup executes command immune to hangup and terminate signals from the controlling terminal. The priority is incremented by 5. Nohup should be invoked from the shell with `&' in order to prevent it from responding to interrupts by or stealing the input from the next per- son who logs in on the same terminal. FILES
nohup.out standard output and standard error file under nohup SEE ALSO
csh(1), setpriority(2), renice(8) DIAGNOSTICS
Nice returns the exit status of the subject command. BUGS
Nice and nohup are particular to sh(1). If you use csh(1), then commands executed with ``&'' are automatically immune to hangup signals while in the background. There is a builtin command nohup which provides immunity from terminate, but it does not redirect output to nohup.out. Nice is built into csh(1) with a slightly different syntax than described here. The form ``nice +10'' nices to positive nice, and ``nice -10'' can be used by the super-user to give a process more of the processor. 4th Berkeley Distribution May 8, 1986 NICE(1)