Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Split Command Generating Incomplete Output Files Post 303000626 by Scrutinizer on Sunday 16th of July 2017 12:08:26 PM
Old 07-16-2017
Try the split -l option

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to split in to 2 files

Hi, I have a problem in grepping a file for 2 strings and writing them to 2 appropriate files. I need to use the awk command and read the file only once and write to the appropriate file. My file is very huge in size and it is taking a long time using cat command and grep command. Can anyone... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_subra_mani
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join of files is incomplete?!

Hi folks, I am using the join command to join two files on a common field as follows: File1.txt Adsorption|H01.181.529.047 Adult|M01.060.116 Children|M01.055 File2.txt 5|Adsorption|C0001674 7|Adult|C000001 6|Children|C00002 join -i -t "|" -a 2 -1 1 -2 2 File1.txt File2.txt This... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: s0460205
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore incomplete files

On Solaris & AIX, suppose there is a directory 'dir'. Log files of size approx 1MB are continuously being deposited here by scp command. I have a script that scans this dir every 5 mins and moves away the log files that have been deposited so far. How do I design my script so that I pick up... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sentak
6 Replies

4. Solaris

How to ignore incomplete files

On Solaris, suppose there is a directory 'dir'. Log files of size approx 1MB are continuously being deposited here by scp command. I have a script that scans this dir every 5 mins and moves away the log files that have been deposited so far. How do I design my script so that I pick up *only*... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sentak
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

split files into specified number of output files

Hi everyone, I have some large text files that I need to split into a specific number of files of equal size. As far as I know (and I don't really know that much :)) the split command only lets you specify the number of lines or bytes. The files are all of a different size, so the number of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Migrainegirl
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help generating this output

need to check hardware error are zero iostat -en |awk '{ if ( $2 == 0 ) { print " " } else { print " Hardware errors "} } can someone please tell me whats wrong with this ---------- Post updated at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:16 PM ---------- iostat -en ----... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: arch12
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming the default output name of the split command

Hello, I would like to split a file but I dont what the subfiles to be named the way they are: ex: default name: xaa xab xac xad xae desired name: b01 b02 b03 b04 b05 I know I can rename them afterwards however I have a varialbe split lenghth, in other words I am not sure how... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarones
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding file extensions to split output files

Hello, I've searched this forum and others for a solution to my problem but nothing seems just right, I'm hoping I can get some help (seems like this should be easy, and I apologize if I've missed something on the forum): I have several large .fastq DNA sequence files (~20million reads,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ljk
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split: File into multiple and keeping the same 3 lines from input into all output files

The following code will split the infile into multiple files. However, I need it to insert the same first 3 lines from the original input file into each splitted file. How do I modify my script below to do so: print -n "Enter file name to split? " ; read infile if then echo "Invalid file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Randomly selecting sequences and generating specific output files

I have two files containing hundreds of different sequences with the same Identifiers (ID-001, ID-002, etc.,), something like this: Infile1: ID-001 ATGGGAGCGGGGGCGTCTGCCTTGAGGGGAGAGAAGCTAGATACA ID-002 ATGGGAGCGGGGGCGTCTGTTTTGAGGGGAGAGAAGCTAGATACA ID-003... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
18 Replies
SPLIT(1)							   User Commands							  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split - split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [OPTION]... [INPUT [PREFIX]] DESCRIPTION
Output fixed-size pieces of INPUT to PREFIXaa, PREFIXab, ...; default size is 1000 lines, and default PREFIX is 'x'. With no INPUT, or when INPUT is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -a, --suffix-length=N generate suffixes of length N (default 2) --additional-suffix=SUFFIX append an additional SUFFIX to file names -b, --bytes=SIZE put SIZE bytes per output file -C, --line-bytes=SIZE put at most SIZE bytes of lines per output file -d, --numeric-suffixes[=FROM] use numeric suffixes instead of alphabetic; FROM changes the start value (default 0) -e, --elide-empty-files do not generate empty output files with '-n' --filter=COMMAND write to shell COMMAND; file name is $FILE -l, --lines=NUMBER put NUMBER lines per output file -n, --number=CHUNKS generate CHUNKS output files; see explanation below -u, --unbuffered immediately copy input to output with '-n r/...' --verbose print a diagnostic just before each output file is opened --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SIZE is an integer and optional unit (example: 10M is 10*1024*1024). Units are K, M, G, T, P, E, Z, Y (powers of 1024) or KB, MB, ... (powers of 1000). CHUNKS may be: N split into N files based on size of input K/N output Kth of N to stdout l/N split into N files without splitting lines l/K/N output Kth of N to stdout without splitting lines r/N like 'l' but use round robin distribution r/K/N like- wise but only output Kth of N to stdout GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report split translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> AUTHOR
Written by Torbjorn Granlund and Richard M. Stallman. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for split is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and split programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'split invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.22 June 2014 SPLIT(1)