Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Write to 1 failed [No space left on device] Error Post 303000614 by bakunin on Saturday 15th of July 2017 06:21:05 PM
Old 07-15-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpumi
Running a installation on Solaris 11 and getting error write to 1 failed [No space left on device]
My suspicion is that the installation routine is trying to write in /dev or something such, where nothing at all should be written. "1" looks more like an I/O descriptor (for stdout) rather than a filename and i suppose there is something garbled in the installation routine so that output is going to a file named "1! rather than the I/O-desciptor 1.

You might debug the installation routine (if it is a script it should be relatively easy) to find where the error originates from.

I hope that helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

no space left on device

I have a SCO UNIX on my Server. When I last tried to shutdown my system, I got an error message “no space left on device”. Now when I try to boot the system again, I just can't and I get the same error message. Please help! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anjane
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cat: write error: No space left on device

I am trying to create new files under my directory...but i getting the following message... cat: write error: No space left on device How do we handle this error. I am not getting this error when I login as the super user (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: igandu
3 Replies

3. Solaris

No space left on device but free space and inodes are available...

hi guys, me again ;) i recently opened a thread about physical to zone migration. My zone is mounted over a "bigger" LUN (500GB) and step is now to move the old files, from the physical server, to my zone. We are talking about 22mio of files. i used rsync to do that and every time at... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: beta17
8 Replies

4. Solaris

visudo: write error: No space left on device

Hi All, This is Sandeep Gupta, I am facing a problem with sudo command. Whenever i am executing the command "visudo" i am getting the error "visudo: write error: No space left on device". but i have checked on my Solaris Box everything is ok, i have enough free space on my box, and also... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sandeepgupta
13 Replies

5. HP-UX

Received error as Not enough space left on device

Hi Forum, We have observed one problem in one of our HP-UX machines which runs a software which connects the radio frequency scan devices and the scanned information is stored in the database through the same software. This software has thrown an error like "Not enough space left on the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nishant.Jvk
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write to 1 failed [No space left on device]

I am getting error in a shell script having a simple date command. Error is " write to 1 failed ". We saw that /tmp folder was 100% full. When we cleared some space in /tmp folder then script worked fine. Why does date command(or any other command) require space in /tmp folder? Which settings... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahish20
6 Replies

7. AIX

Cpio: copy failed - No space left on device when I use rpm

Hello, I want to install GCC gcc-4.8.1-2.src.rpm for AIX 6.1 when I lance my command rpm -i gcc-4.8.1-2.src.rpm I have this error unpacking of archive failed on file gcc-4.8.1.tar.bz2: cpio: copy failed - No space left on device I checked the free space and I am surpise becouse I have... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tatab355
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sed: couldn't write 1378 items to stdout: No space left on device

Hi , In file first line start with "",when trying to remove using sed i am getting the below error .Please advise sed -e 's///g' -e 's/$]//g' segment1.txt >>segment_m1 sed: couldn't write 1378 items to stdout: No space left on device Thanks, Mohan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan705
1 Replies

9. Linux

No space left on device while there is plenty of space available

Hello all posting here after scanning the net and tried most of the things offered still no solution that worked when I do : $ df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on footmpfs 7.9G 60K 7.9G 1% /dev tmpfs 7.9G 0 7.9G 0% /dev/shm /dev/da1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Sol11 - Error at prompt (no space left on device)

user1@:/$ -ksh: line 3: write to 1 failed user11@:/$ -ksh: line 3: write to 1 failed user1@:/$ -ksh: line 3: write to 1 failed user1@:/$ -ksh: line 3: write to 1 failed user1@:/$ -ksh: line 3: write to 1 failed But theres plenty of space :- user1@:/$ df -kh Filesystem ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
9 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)