Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Search for words starting and ending with Post 303000408 by RudiC on Tuesday 11th of July 2017 05:54:18 PM
Old 07-11-2017
Nice approach. You might want to add a plus sign or a star to allow for multiple words. And, not sure if two or more adjacent minus signs are acceptable?
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: reg.expr: combine starting and ending removal in one exprecion

Hello, I am new in perl and in regular exprecion; so I am looking for help (or an experienced advise.) The target is a triming spaces from a string: i.e., remove spases from begining and from end of a string. One of main point of a searched solution is performance: for current task it is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove all words starting from a matching word in a line

Hi Guys, I have a file like this: wwwe 1 ioie ewew yyy uuu 88 erehrlk 4 ihoiwhe lkjhassad lkhsad yyy mmm 45 jhash lhasdhs lkhsdkjsn ouiyrshroi oihoihswodnw oiyhewe yyy ggg 77 I want to remove everything after "yyy" and including "yyy" from each line in the file. So I want:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

if statement to check files with different ending but same starting name

I am trying to check if files staring with filename but ending with diffent dates e.g. filename.2011-10-25. The code I am using is below if It works find only if one file is present but returns binary operator expected when there are mulptiple files. Please help me correcting it. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ningy
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pring starting and ending numbers using UNIX

Hi all, I need to do scrip for printing starting and ending numbers along with count in given file.:wall: Input: a.txt 10000030 10000029 10000028 10000027 10000026 10000024 10000023 10000021 10000018 10000018 10000017 10000016 10000015 10000014 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackbell2013
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract words starting with a pattern from a file

Hi Guys.. I have a file and i want to extract all words that starts with a pattern 'ABC_' or 'ADF_' For example, ABC.txt ---- INSERT INTO ABC_DLKFJAL_FJKLD SELECT DISTINCT S,B,C FROM ADF_DKF_KDFJ_IERU8 A, ABC_LKDJFREUE9_FJKDF B WHERE A.FI=B.EI; COMMIT; Output : ABS_DLKFJAL_FJKLD,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pramod_009
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting a list of words one per line by their ending

Hello, My OS is Windows and therefore DOS. Hence I have no access to Unix tools. I am trying to sort a file in Urdu by the character by which it ends. Each word is on a separate line. As input, an example in English would help: fruit banana apple pear house I need the sort to be on the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print words starting at particular positions

I have three words say abc def and ghi. I want to write them in a text file each starting (not ending) at particular positions say 1, 42 and 73. It is guaranteed that they will not overwrite. Length of the three variable may vary. Any help? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Soham
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text to column starting/ending with special character in each row

Hello, Here is my text data excerpted from the webpage: input My target is to get: What i tried is: sed 's/.*\(connector\)/1/' input > output but all characters coming before the word "connector" are deleted which is not good for me. My question: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the words starting with 3-

OS : Oracle Linux 6.5 Shell : bash I have a file whose contents look like below. I want to count the number of occurences of strings starting with 3-. How can I do this ? I couldn't wordwrap the below line. Hence it looks long. '3-90892405251', '3-90892911050', '3-90893144163',... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search words in any quote position and then change the words

hi, i need to replace all words in any quote position and then need to change the words inside the file thousand of raw. textfile data : "Ninguno","Confirma","JuicioABC" "JuicioCOMP","Recurso","JuicioABC" "JuicioDELL","Nulidad","Nosino" "Solidade","JuicioEUR","Segundo" need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: benjietambling
1 Replies
BOGGLE(6)							 BSD Games Manual							 BOGGLE(6)

NAME
boggle -- word search game SYNOPSIS
boggle [-bd] [-s seed] [-t time] [-w length] [+ [+]] [boardspec] DESCRIPTION
The object of boggle is to find as many words as possible on the Boggle board within the three minute time limit. A Boggle board is a four by four arrangement of Boggle cubes, each side of each cube displaying a letter of the alphabet or `qu'. Words are formed by finding a sequence of cubes (letters) that are in the game's dictionary. The (N+1)th cube in the word must be horizontally, vertically, or diagonally adjacent to the Nth cube. Cubes cannot be reused. Words consist solely of lower case letters and must be at least 3 letters long. Command line flags can be given to change the rules of the game. -b Run boggle in batch mode. A boardspec must also be given. The dictionary is read from stdin and a list of words appearing in boardspec is printed to stdout. -d Enable debugging output. -s seed Specify a seed seed other than the time of day. -t time Set the time limit for each game from the default 3 minutes to time seconds. -w length Change the minimum word length from 3 letters to length. + This flag allows a cube to be used multiple times, but not in succession. ++ This flag allows the same cubes to be considered adjacent to itself. boardspec A starting board position can be specified on the command line by listing the board left to right and top to bottom. Help is available during play by typing '?'. More detailed information on the game is given there. BUGS
If there are a great many words in the cube the final display of the words may scroll off of the screen. (On a 25 line screen about 130 words can be displayed.) No word can contain a 'q' that is not immediately followed by a 'u'. When using the + or ++ options the display of words found in the board doesn't indicate reused cubes. AUTHOR
Boggle is a trademark of Parker Brothers. Barry Brachman Dept. of Computer Science University of British Columbia BSD
April 1, 2001 BSD