Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users UNIX/Linux inventory - Open Source Post 303000338 by bakunin on Monday 10th of July 2017 02:07:52 PM
Old 07-10-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by denisloide
Like I said I need an agent-like tool, that I can easily install in lots of linux servers to give me a full list of softwares installed in each server, that is!
Notice that "Linux" does not have a standardized package manager at all. In fact Linux is basically a kernel, not an OS and what makes it a complete OS is a bunch of GNU-tools added to it. Whoever does that adding choses and selects what he deems relevant and this way different "distributions" come to pass.

Because of this there is no package manager and the different distributors (the people/companies creating the distributions) created their own package managers. The two probably most widespread are rpm (RedHat Package Manager), developed by RedHat and used by: RedHat, SuSE, CentOS, Fedora, RHEL and perhaps a few more and apt, developed by Debian and used an all Debian-based distributions (Debian, *Ubuntu, Mint, etc.). There are other package managers either, but there are even distributions without a package manager (Gentoo and ArchLinux, IIRC) at all.

If you want an agent-like software to create a software inventory over various systems you will either have to limit which distributions (more precisely: which package managers) you want to support or perhaps write your own.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX and Linux Applications

need open source KB software for UNIX

Anyone know of a good open source Knowledge Base software for UNIX that can connect to an Oracle back end? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJ45
0 Replies

2. Linux

Linux open source for admin

Hi, I have created my VM lab on redhat linux, but giving me error after updating new yum repository, its asking me for subscription. I want want switch my redhat linux lab from VM, which linux open source will be best to perform admin commands and tasks?? If possible , please provide iso file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nats
2 Replies

3. Fedora

Is UNIX an open source OS ?

Hi everyone, I know the following questions are noobish questions but I am asking them because I am confused about the basics of history behind UNIX and LINUX. Ok onto business, my questions are-: Was/Is UNIX ever an open source operating system ? If UNIX was... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
21 Replies
Ocsinventory::Agent::Common(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  Ocsinventory::Agent::Common(3pm)

addController()
	   Add a controller in the inventory.

addModem()
	   Add a modem in the inventory.

addDrive()
	   Add a partition in the inventory.

addStorages()
	   Add a storage system (hard drive, USB key, SAN volume, etc) in the inventory.

addMemory()
	   Add a memory module in the inventory.

addPort()
	   Add a port module in the inventory.

addSlot()
	   Add a slot in the inventory.

addSoftware()
	   Register a software in the inventory.

addMonitor()
	   Add a monitor (screen) in the inventory.

addVideo()
	   Add a video card in the inventory.

addSound()
	   Add a sound card in the inventory.

addNetwork()
	   Register a network in the inventory.

setHardware()
	   Save global information regarding the machine.

The use of setHardware() to update USERID and PROCESSOR* informations is deprecated, please, use addUser() and addCPU() instead.

setBios()
	   Set BIOS informations.

addCPU()
	   Add a CPU in the inventory.

addUser()
	   Add an user in the list of logged user.

addPrinter()
	   Add a printer in the inventory.

addVirtualMachine()
	   Add a Virtual Machine in the inventory.

addProcess()
	   Record a running process in the inventory.

addIpDiscoverEntry()
	   IpDiscover is used to identify network interface on the local network. This is done on the ARP level.

This function adds a network interface in the inventory.

setAccessLog()
	   What is that for? :)

flushXMlTags()
	   Clear the content of $common->{xmltags} (to use after adding it in XML)

POD ERRORS
Hey! The above document had some coding errors, which are explained below: Around line 34: '=item' outside of any '=over' perl v5.14.2 2012-04-12 Ocsinventory::Agent::Common(3pm)