Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help with date arithmetic please Post 303000277 by drl on Friday 7th of July 2017 05:53:33 PM
Old 07-07-2017
Hi.

A collection of suggestions:
Code:
Date, time arithmetic, math

1) gnu date

2) ksh ( version 93, not 88; ksh93 M 93t+ ) printf, e.g:
           printf "%(%Y-%m-%d)T\n" "yesterday"
           Many more examples ( as of 2017.07 ):
           http://blog.fpmurphy.com/2008/10/ksh93-date-manipulation.html

3) date.pl (limited arithmetic, but "date.pl -d '- 1 day'" works)
           ( https://www.unix.com/tips-tutorials/
           239167-general-purpose-date-script.html )

4) dconv et al, e.g. ddiff, dconv, strptime (parsing), etc.
           ( dateutils: http://www.fresse.org/dateutils/ )

5) tm2tm (, OK in 32-bit; fails to compile in 64-bit)
           ( https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/
           146216-date-difference-between-freebsd-linux.html#post302463136 )

6) perl custom formatting (with function POSIX::strftime, "perldoc POSIX")

7) date-cpan.pl, cpan perl date
           ( http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/CWEST/ppt-0.14/src/date/date.jgross )

8) For small changes, say, "yesterday" in bash, ksh
           TZ=CST+24 date +%Y%m%d
           csh, tcsh
           setenv TZ CST+24 ; date +%Y%m%d

9) Check for legal date:
           manstat:validata ( http://oldwww.acm.org/perlman/stat/ )

10) Check for legal date:
            validate (local perl code)

11) Shell, ksh, date calculations:
            www.unix.com/unix-for-dummies-questions-and-answers/4870-days-elapsed-between-2-dates.html

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

time arithmetic

Can anyone help please. I am writing a kourne shell script and I am unsure how to do the following: I have extracted a time string from a logfile, and I have another time string I want to compare it to to see if it's later than the time I'm comparing with. i.e. expectedSLA="23:00:00", ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csong2
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

arithmetic problem

i am used to making scripts for hp-ux. but lately i tried to make some for solaris. the problem is that when i tried to execute it it gave me an error the "let: not found". why is that? how can i perform an arithmetic function in the solaris shell script? thanks :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquirer
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

arithmetic in ksh

Helloo.. I am trying one very simple thing I could not find anything on google.. I have 2 integer variable..and I need to do division...in ksh where $catch and $num are integer variable.. I tryed with this: printf "%0.2f" $final=$catch/$num but it does not work.. any help is... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: amon
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to perform arithmetic operation on date

Hi all, I would appreciate if anyone knows how to perform adding to date. As for normal date, i can easily plus with any number. But when it comes to month end say for example 28 Jun, i need to perform a plus with number 3, it will not return 1 Jul. Thanks in advance for your help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: agathaeleanor
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic on timestamps

Hi Friends, please advise on shell script to add two time stamps for example : a=12:32 b=12:00 c=a+b=00:32 please help me to find shell script to add to two time stamps, as i need to convert time from EST to GMT or SST to prepare status of jobs in unix and to specify estimated time to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: balireddy_77
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Arithmetic: how to??

Hello all, I'd like to know how to perform arithmetic on multiple files. I have got many tab-delimited files. Each file contains about 2000 rows and 2000 columns. What I want to do is to to sum the values in each row & column in every file. The following explains what I want to do; ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Rahiz
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date and time Arithmetic

Hi, I need to process a file which contains below data. Usually the files contains both Start and Finish time. but for Few records, it contains only Start. For those records I need to add the finish line by adding 5 minutes to Start time. Started BBIDX Tue Jun 1 15:15:11 EDT 2010 292308... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
1 Replies

8. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Broken link FAQ date arithmetic with shell

page unix com/answers-frequently-asked-questions/13785-yesterdays-date-date-arithmetic.html Date Arithmetic with the Shell has link of www samag com/documents/s=8284/sam0307b/0307b.htm which is no longer. Is this the correct place to post this?:confused: and I got message... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dgerman
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed with some date arithmetic

I have a file (main.lst) containing a list of dates in DDMMYYYY format. The dates will mostly be the same but it is possible to have multiple dates and these need not be in chronological order. I have another file containing another list of dates (holidays.lst). The task is to get the latest... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: elixir_sinari
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic with bash

I need to divide the number of white spaces by total number of characters in a file using bash. I am able to get the number of white spaces correctly using: tr -cd < afile | wc -c I am also able to get the total number of characters using: wc -c afile How do I divide the first... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngabrani
2 Replies
DATETIME.SETISODATE(3)							 1						    DATETIME.SETISODATE(3)

DateTime::setISODate - Sets the ISO date

Object oriented style

SYNOPSIS
public DateTime DateTime::setISODate (int $year, int $week, [int $day = 1]) DESCRIPTION
Procedural style DateTime date_isodate_set (DateTime $object, int $year, int $week, [int $day = 1]) Set a date according to the ISO 8601 standard - using weeks and day offsets rather than specific dates. PARAMETERS
o $object -Procedural style only: A DateTime object returned by date_create(3). The function modifies this object. o $year - Year of the date. o $week - Week of the date. o $day - Offset from the first day of the week. RETURN VALUES
Returns the DateTime object for method chaining or FALSE on failure. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | Changed the return value on success from NULL to | | | DateTime. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 DateTime.setISODate(3) example Object oriented style <?php $date = new DateTime(); $date->setISODate(2008, 2); echo $date->format('Y-m-d') . " "; $date->setISODate(2008, 2, 7); echo $date->format('Y-m-d') . " "; ?> Procedural style <?php $date = date_create(); date_isodate_set($date, 2008, 2); echo date_format($date, 'Y-m-d') . " "; date_isodate_set($date, 2008, 2, 7); echo date_format($date, 'Y-m-d') . " "; ?> The above examples will output: 2008-01-07 2008-01-13 Example #2 Values exceeding ranges are added to their parent values <?php $date = new DateTime(); $date->setISODate(2008, 2, 7); echo $date->format('Y-m-d') . " "; $date->setISODate(2008, 2, 8); echo $date->format('Y-m-d') . " "; $date->setISODate(2008, 53, 7); echo $date->format('Y-m-d') . " "; ?> The above example will output: 2008-01-13 2008-01-14 2009-01-04 Example #3 Finding the month a week is in <?php $date = new DateTime(); $date->setISODate(2008, 14); echo $date->format('n'); ?> The above examples will output: 3 SEE ALSO
DateTime.setDate(3), DateTime.setTime(3). PHP Documentation Group DATETIME.SETISODATE(3)