Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Echo command not working in the script Post 303000267 by Corona688 on Friday 7th of July 2017 02:46:05 PM
Old 07-07-2017
Also, any characters after the \ will cause it to fail, including carriage returns. So if you're saving your scripts from Microsoft Notepad that's a problem.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo working funny

Hello, this is my first post and question. I have search before for this problem but didn't find anything similar. My case: I have a string inside the variable string1 like this: string1="lala lele lili lolo lulu" When I do echo of it, it appears like this: echo $string1 lala lele lili... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemtar
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

why the set rr='echo string|cut not working

I am new to the c shell script, can you let me know why the set rr= is not working. C shell script #! /bin/csh Set tt= 12345_UMR_BH452_3_2.txt set rr='echo $tt | cut –d”_” -f1' syntax error (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdsignature88
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help! command working ok when executed in command line, but fails when run inside a script!

Hi everyone, when executing this command in unix: echo "WM7 Fatal Alerts:", $(cat query1.txt) > a.csvIt works fine, but running this command in a shell script gives an error saying that there's a syntax error. here is content of my script: tdbsrvr$ vi hc.sh "hc.sh" 22 lines, 509... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4dirk1
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with shell script: cp command not working, but mv command works...

Hello. I would like to ask your help regarding the cp command. We are using a cp command to create a back-up copy of our file but to no avail. It's just not working. We already checked the file and directory permissions and all seems correct. We have a script (ftp.script) which calls on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: udelalv
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo is not working as expected

for i in `cat /export/home/afahmed/Arrvial_time.txt` do echo $i echo $i | awk '$3 < $D { print $4 }' >> dynamic_DF.txt; done When i echo, its echo as Nov 15 02:24 /export/home/pp_adm/inbound//wwallet_20111115.txt where i expect it to be Nov 15 02:24... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: afahmed
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo two variables like the paste command is not working

Dear all, I have two files like this file1 A B C D E F file2 1,2 3,4 5,6 I want this output output_expected A B 1,2 C D 3,4 E F 5,6 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: valente
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to echo output of a UNIX command (like ls -l ) using shell script.?

How do i echo the output of a unix command using shell script??? Like: echo /etc/ ls -l (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunny2802
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo not working with $

$cat FILE.txt $PATH1/file1.txt $PATH2/file2.txt where$PATH 1 = /root/FILE_DR/file1.txt $PATH 2 = /root/FILE_DR/file2.txt for I in `cat FILE.txt` do v=`echo $I` echo $v if then rm $v (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ekharvi
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script not working but command works in command prompt

Hi everyone I have a problem with my script If I try directly this command /usr/bin/nice -n 19 mysqldump -u root --password="******" wiki_schneider -c | nice -n 19 gzip -9 > /point_de_montage/$(date '+%Y%m%d')-wiki-db.sql.gz It works But if I simply add this command in a script and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: picemma
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute ssh command with additional terminal command to any remote user not working script

Hello i am having an issue with bash script and this is the code now=$(cat hosts1.txt | awk '{print $2;}') while read n ;do ssh root@$now 'useradd test1; echo -e "test1\ntest1" | passwd test1 && echo "test1 ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL" >> /etc/sudoers' When i execute only part with cat, it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
8 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)