Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Gunzip and edit many files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Gunzip and edit many files Post 303000257 by RudiC on Friday 7th of July 2017 01:04:19 PM
Old 07-07-2017
I had a misconception in my post - of course insert.sh's stdin receives data, and its stdout is redirected to the temp file. Sorry!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to edit large files using vi

How to edit large file using vi where you can't increase /usr/var/tmp anymore? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nazri
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Edit Multiple Files in VI

Here's what I have... $ vi foo1 - open foo1 and work around for a while. I yank a few lines into a buffer and then :w to save. Next I :e foo2 to open foo2 and paste my buffer. I :w to save, but I would like to then be able to go directly back into foo1 where I was before I opened foo2. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: djschmitt
4 Replies

3. Gentoo

how to edit linux system files?

i had heard that linux is open source.....which meant that i could edit it. so how do i start out? i've already downloaded it. the name's "puppy linux".....someone please reply quick!!! and by the way, may i know what shell scripting is? (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dragster93
15 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

edit _config files

Hi, I am trying to edit sshd_config file through the vi editor. logged on as a root. when I try to write the file I get: Read-only file, not written; use ! to override when i type :w!, I get: Error: etc/ssh/sshd_config Permission denied. I want to change: #PermitRootLogin no to yes freeBDS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: emosms
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gunzip files

Hello Everyone, I have a few files in a directory such as : abc.xyz.txt1.gz abc.xyz.txt2.gz .... .... ... ... abd.xyz.txt100.gz And I want uncompressed files such as: abc.xyz.txt1 abc.xyz.txt2 .... ... ..... .... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ad23
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gunzip files

Hi ALL, Am working with the gunzip command to zip all the old files having 10 days am using the command find . -name '*.log' -type f -mtime +10 -exec gunzip {} \; am facing two issues 1.)it displays the files which are all older than a year 2.)when am trying to gunzip all the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Edit files with cat

Hi, sometimes one wants to edit files while still seeing output of earlier commands in terminal. I've found out that cat test && cat - >> test does the trick for displaying file content and adding lines but I believe I saw a much cooler command that was also able to erase lines from files. I cannot... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: scarleo
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to decompress files using gunzip?

I have compressed files under directory '/root/data' and i need the uncompressed files in another directory '/root/uncom'. I running a shell script below shell script from directory '/root/' gunzip /root/data/*.gz -d /root/uncom But this is failing with gunzip: /root/uncom is a directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit names of files in a directory

Hi all, I have a directory with multiple (thousnads) of files, which are named this way ABCDEF.wo.im-1 OKRAME.ire.roi IOJEAFO01.irt.gfg IMNYBL05.REG.gkf I would like to keep the part of the name (everything before the first dot in the filename). The desired output: ABCDEF... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Error404
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to decompress files using gunzip?

I have compressed files under directory '/root/data' and i need the uncompressed files in another directory '/root/uncom'. I running a shell script below shell script from directory '/root/' gunzip /root/data/*.gz -d /root/uncom But this is failing with : gunzip: /root/uncom is a directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoyanet
2 Replies
CDBS-EDIT-PATCH(1)						CDBS Documentation						CDBS-EDIT-PATCH(1)

NAME
cdbs-edit-patch - create or edit a CDBS simple-patchsys.mk patch SYNOPSIS
cdbs-edit-patch patchname DESCRIPTION
cdbs-edit-patch creates or edits patches for use by the CDBS simple-patchsys.mk patch system. For more information about CDBS please see the documentation under /usr/share/doc/cdbs/. When patchname exists, cdbs-edit-patch will set up a temporary working source tree, apply all patches up to and including patchname in lex- icographic order, and spawn an interactive shell for the developer. The developer can then edit files in this working tree. When the developer is done and exits the shell, cdbs-edit-patch updates patchname to reflect the changes made. To abort the process from the inter- active shell, exit with a nonzero exit value. When patchname does not exist, cdbs-edit-patch will assume that a new patch should be created. As with the above scenario, cdbs-edit-patch will first create a temporary working source tree and apply all patches up to the new patch in lexicographic order. When the shell is quit, cdbs-edit-patch will create patchname. AUTHOR
CDBS was written by Colin Walters and others. cdbs-edit-patch was written by Martin Pitt. This manual page was written by Peter Eisen- traut based on the dpatch-edit-patch(1) manual page. SEE ALSO
CDBS documentation in /usr/share/doc/cdbs/, /usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/simple-patchsys.mk, dpatch-edit-patch(1), quilt(1) Debian 5 Feb 2006 CDBS-EDIT-PATCH(1)