Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Command to check memory used or consumed by OS kernel Post 303000089 by sam@sam on Tuesday 4th of July 2017 06:49:50 AM
Old 07-04-2017
Hi Bakunin,

I have many application running on LINUX box, RAM allocated on this box is 15GB
I want to know how much memory is consumed by Applications and OS

Code:
              total        used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:            15G         14G       627M       932K       1.4G       916M
-/+ buffers/cache:        12G       2.9G
Swap:           9G          898M       9.1G

From application level only 12 GB RAM is allocated out of it only 8 GB RAM is consumed currently

But I'm unable to figure out how much RAM is consumed by OS on an average?
If I have a margin of how much RAM is consumed to OS then in future if I need to add any new software/app I can recommend for extra RAM in LINUX BOX, hope you understand

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags for data too, thank you.

Last edited by bakunin; 07-04-2017 at 08:19 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

1. To know the Memory consumed by a process at a time

hello I am new to the UNIX I want to know what command is used 1.To know the Memory consumed by a process at a time . 2.To know the How many CPU's in a server. 3.To know the RAM size. 4.To know the Hard Disk size. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maheshkoushik
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

kernel, memory and patches information

I kind of forget easily. Is anyone remember the command to find kernel, memory and patches information of HPUX 11.0 machine? Thank you! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Teh Tiack Ein
0 Replies

3. AIX

Kernel use of real memory

Hello AIX gurues... In order to present the statistics of real memory usage I need to know how much real memory is used by the AIX 5L kernel. No the exact figures of course but some close to the reality. The AIX is running in a 7GB real machine, it has a HACMP configuration and my concern is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daniels
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

the amount of memory consumed per user

Hi, under UNIX AIX how determine the amount of memory consumed per user ? Many thanks before. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Command to check memory size

Hi, I am looking for acoomand on HP where by i can see the CPU increasing for a given process ... I know i can see this from top/prstat .. But it will give for all the processes - I want something like say ps where i can call it from a shell script a few times and check if it is has increased... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nano2
0 Replies

6. HP-UX

Order process by consumed memory

Hi! I am new to HP-UX. :o By using the command glance, I found the user memory usage was very high. I would like to know is there any command can show the process which consume most available memory ? (Just like the command top, but order by memory, not CPU) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alfredo
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I obtain the consumed memory of a process?

Hi!!! how can I obtain the consumed memory of a process? nowadays i'm using ps -efo pid, pmem, comm,args .... but the information is in percentage, is that correct? so, i want to know how can obtain the consumed memory of a process in mb? thanks in advance! Richard (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcrutz_18
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

PAE kernel memory limit

What is the limit of LowMem and HighMem in PAE enable kernel. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Logging the memory consumed by a process with c/C++ without using proc

I need to log the size of physical/virtual memory consumed by any given given process using c/c++ code running on solaris and aix without using the proc filesystem. Please advise. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Manisha Paul
1 Replies

10. AIX

Process, PID and total memory consumed on AIX.

Hi, Below is the code snippet I use on Linux (Centos) to retrieve the Process Name, PID and memory consumed on Linux (Centos) host:- top -b -n 1 | awk -v date="$tdydate" -v ip="$ip" 'NR>7 {print date","ip","$12,","$1,","$10}' Any idea how the same can be retrieved on an AIX host? This... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vipin Batra
1 Replies
ncsize(5)							File Formats Manual							 ncsize(5)

NAME
ncsize - number of Directory Name Lookup Cache (DNLC) entries VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values The minimum value allowed is The maximum value allowed is memory limited. The value is further constrained in that it must be equal to or greater than eight times the value of the number of locks for the DNLC Specify a positive integer value. DESCRIPTION
To speed up the search through directories in the kernel, there is a memory resident cache of directories called the During a filename lookup in the kernel, any directories or files encountered are retained in the DNLC for future reference. The tunable dictates the number of entries in the DNLC, which is statically allocated at system boot time. Therefore, the larger the value of the larger the number of directory/file entries that can be kept cached in memory for filename lookup. Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? HP-UX system administrators. Restrictions on Changing This tunable is static. Any changes to the value of this tunable will require system reboot before taking effect. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? The value may need to be raised to improve filename lookup performance when running applications which require large numbers of filename access. What are the Side Effects of Raising the Value? More system memory will be consumed for the DNLC. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? The value can be lowered to limit the number of entries in the DNLC and reduce memory consumption. What are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value? Less system memory will be consumed for the DNLC upon system reboot. Operations requiring filename lookup (e.g. open(2)) may experience performance degradation. What Other Tunable Values Should Be Changed at the Same Time? The value of must be equal to or greater than eight times the value of WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
kctune(1M), sam(1M), gettune(2), settune(2), dnlc_hash_locks(5). Tunable Kernel Parameters ncsize(5)