Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Command to check memory used or consumed by OS kernel Post 303000089 by sam@sam on Tuesday 4th of July 2017 06:49:50 AM
Old 07-04-2017
Hi Bakunin,

I have many application running on LINUX box, RAM allocated on this box is 15GB
I want to know how much memory is consumed by Applications and OS

Code:
              total        used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:            15G         14G       627M       932K       1.4G       916M
-/+ buffers/cache:        12G       2.9G
Swap:           9G          898M       9.1G

From application level only 12 GB RAM is allocated out of it only 8 GB RAM is consumed currently

But I'm unable to figure out how much RAM is consumed by OS on an average?
If I have a margin of how much RAM is consumed to OS then in future if I need to add any new software/app I can recommend for extra RAM in LINUX BOX, hope you understand

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags for data too, thank you.

Last edited by bakunin; 07-04-2017 at 08:19 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

1. To know the Memory consumed by a process at a time

hello I am new to the UNIX I want to know what command is used 1.To know the Memory consumed by a process at a time . 2.To know the How many CPU's in a server. 3.To know the RAM size. 4.To know the Hard Disk size. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maheshkoushik
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

kernel, memory and patches information

I kind of forget easily. Is anyone remember the command to find kernel, memory and patches information of HPUX 11.0 machine? Thank you! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Teh Tiack Ein
0 Replies

3. AIX

Kernel use of real memory

Hello AIX gurues... In order to present the statistics of real memory usage I need to know how much real memory is used by the AIX 5L kernel. No the exact figures of course but some close to the reality. The AIX is running in a 7GB real machine, it has a HACMP configuration and my concern is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daniels
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

the amount of memory consumed per user

Hi, under UNIX AIX how determine the amount of memory consumed per user ? Many thanks before. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Command to check memory size

Hi, I am looking for acoomand on HP where by i can see the CPU increasing for a given process ... I know i can see this from top/prstat .. But it will give for all the processes - I want something like say ps where i can call it from a shell script a few times and check if it is has increased... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nano2
0 Replies

6. HP-UX

Order process by consumed memory

Hi! I am new to HP-UX. :o By using the command glance, I found the user memory usage was very high. I would like to know is there any command can show the process which consume most available memory ? (Just like the command top, but order by memory, not CPU) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alfredo
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I obtain the consumed memory of a process?

Hi!!! how can I obtain the consumed memory of a process? nowadays i'm using ps -efo pid, pmem, comm,args .... but the information is in percentage, is that correct? so, i want to know how can obtain the consumed memory of a process in mb? thanks in advance! Richard (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcrutz_18
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

PAE kernel memory limit

What is the limit of LowMem and HighMem in PAE enable kernel. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Logging the memory consumed by a process with c/C++ without using proc

I need to log the size of physical/virtual memory consumed by any given given process using c/c++ code running on solaris and aix without using the proc filesystem. Please advise. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Manisha Paul
1 Replies

10. AIX

Process, PID and total memory consumed on AIX.

Hi, Below is the code snippet I use on Linux (Centos) to retrieve the Process Name, PID and memory consumed on Linux (Centos) host:- top -b -n 1 | awk -v date="$tdydate" -v ip="$ip" 'NR>7 {print date","ip","$12,","$1,","$10}' Any idea how the same can be retrieved on an AIX host? This... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vipin Batra
1 Replies
bcopy(9F)						   Kernel Functions for Drivers 						 bcopy(9F)

NAME
bcopy - copy data between address locations in the kernel SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/sunddi.h> void bcopy(const void *from, void *to, size_t bcount); INTERFACE LEVEL
Architecture independent level 1 (DDI/DKI). PARAMETERS
from Source address from which the copy is made. to Destination address to which copy is made. bcount The number of bytes moved. DESCRIPTION
bcopy() copies bcount bytes from one kernel address to another. If the input and output addresses overlap, the command executes, but the results may not be as expected. Note that bcopy() should never be used to move data in or out of a user buffer, because it has no provision for handling page faults. The user address space can be swapped out at any time, and bcopy() always assumes that there will be no paging faults. If bcopy() attempts to access the user buffer when it is swapped out, the system will panic. It is safe to use bcopy() to move data within kernel space, since kernel space is never swapped out. CONTEXT
bcopy() can be called from user or interrupt context. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Copying data between address locations in the kernel: An I/O request is made for data stored in a RAM disk. If the I/O operation is a read request, the data is copied from the RAM disk to a buffer (line 8). If it is a write request, the data is copied from a buffer to the RAM disk (line 15). bcopy() is used since both the RAM disk and the buffer are part of the kernel address space. 1 #define RAMDNBLK 1000 /* blocks in the RAM disk */ 2 #define RAMDBSIZ 512 /* bytes per block */ 3 char ramdblks[RAMDNBLK][RAMDBSIZ]; /* blocks forming RAM /* disk ... 4 5 if (bp->b_flags & B_READ) /* if read request, copy data */ 6 /* from RAM disk data block */ 7 /* to system buffer */ 8 bcopy(&ramdblks[bp->b_blkno][0], bp->b_un.b_addr, 9 bp->b_bcount); 10 11 else /* else write request, */ 12 /* copy data from a */ 13 /* system buffer to RAM disk */ 14 /* data block */ 15 bcopy(bp->b_un.b_addr, &ramdblks[bp->b_blkno][0], 16 bp->b_bcount); SEE ALSO
copyin(9F), copyout(9F) Writing Device Drivers WARNINGS
The from and to addresses must be within the kernel space. No range checking is done. If an address outside of the kernel space is selected, the driver may corrupt the system in an unpredictable way. SunOS 5.10 4 August 2003 bcopy(9F)