Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Command to check memory used or consumed by OS kernel Post 303000085 by bakunin on Tuesday 4th of July 2017 05:16:22 AM
Old 07-04-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam@sam
I am trying to check how much memory is consumed by OS Kernel using below command, Is this the correct command that I'm using

Code:
grep Slab /proc/meminfo

According to this document this is not (quite) the correct command. To quote the linked explanation:

Quote:
Slab - The total amount of memory, in kilobytes, used by the kernel to cache data structures for its own use.
Note that "kernel" isn't a monolithic process. In fact the "kernel" consists of several processes, depending on how the system is configured, what it is doing, how much memory it has installed and perhaps a few other things. So it is difficult to point to one certain place and declare it to be the answer. The value you found is arguably part of the answer but if it is depends on what exactly the question is.

Can you tell us what exactly you want, so that maybe we can find some better solution?

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

1. To know the Memory consumed by a process at a time

hello I am new to the UNIX I want to know what command is used 1.To know the Memory consumed by a process at a time . 2.To know the How many CPU's in a server. 3.To know the RAM size. 4.To know the Hard Disk size. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maheshkoushik
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

kernel, memory and patches information

I kind of forget easily. Is anyone remember the command to find kernel, memory and patches information of HPUX 11.0 machine? Thank you! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Teh Tiack Ein
0 Replies

3. AIX

Kernel use of real memory

Hello AIX gurues... In order to present the statistics of real memory usage I need to know how much real memory is used by the AIX 5L kernel. No the exact figures of course but some close to the reality. The AIX is running in a 7GB real machine, it has a HACMP configuration and my concern is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daniels
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

the amount of memory consumed per user

Hi, under UNIX AIX how determine the amount of memory consumed per user ? Many thanks before. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Command to check memory size

Hi, I am looking for acoomand on HP where by i can see the CPU increasing for a given process ... I know i can see this from top/prstat .. But it will give for all the processes - I want something like say ps where i can call it from a shell script a few times and check if it is has increased... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nano2
0 Replies

6. HP-UX

Order process by consumed memory

Hi! I am new to HP-UX. :o By using the command glance, I found the user memory usage was very high. I would like to know is there any command can show the process which consume most available memory ? (Just like the command top, but order by memory, not CPU) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alfredo
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I obtain the consumed memory of a process?

Hi!!! how can I obtain the consumed memory of a process? nowadays i'm using ps -efo pid, pmem, comm,args .... but the information is in percentage, is that correct? so, i want to know how can obtain the consumed memory of a process in mb? thanks in advance! Richard (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcrutz_18
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

PAE kernel memory limit

What is the limit of LowMem and HighMem in PAE enable kernel. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Logging the memory consumed by a process with c/C++ without using proc

I need to log the size of physical/virtual memory consumed by any given given process using c/c++ code running on solaris and aix without using the proc filesystem. Please advise. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Manisha Paul
1 Replies

10. AIX

Process, PID and total memory consumed on AIX.

Hi, Below is the code snippet I use on Linux (Centos) to retrieve the Process Name, PID and memory consumed on Linux (Centos) host:- top -b -n 1 | awk -v date="$tdydate" -v ip="$ip" 'NR>7 {print date","ip","$12,","$1,","$10}' Any idea how the same can be retrieved on an AIX host? This... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vipin Batra
1 Replies
base_pagesize(5)						File Formats Manual						  base_pagesize(5)

NAME
base_pagesize - size (in kilobytes) of a base page VALUES
Default Allowed values DESCRIPTION
A base page is the smallest block of physical memory that can be allocated for storing data and code by the HP-UX kernel. Base pages are also the smallest unit of memory protection. The kernel maintains a number of tables, each of which has one entry for each base page. In large-memory systems, this can result in a significant amount of physical memory being consumed by these tables. When a larger base page size is selected, fewer entries are required, and therefore more physical memory becomes available for other uses. Who is Expected to Change This Tunable? The system administrator who wants to change the size of a base page. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable require a reboot to take effect. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? To decrease the amount of memory consumed by kernel memory management tables. What Are the Side Effects of Raising the Value? Programs with small text and/or data segments will consume more memory that they would otherwise. This is because at least one base page is allocated for each of these segments. Memory fragmentation may also increase, which can lead to lower performance. The value returned by the and system calls will reflect the base_pagesize setting of the currently running kernel. Applications which make assumptions about the size of a base page, and do not call either or to obtain this value, may fail in unpredictable ways. See the white paper referenced below for more details. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? To reverse a situation in which the larger base page size has lowered performance or introduced application misbehavior. What Are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value? Kernel memory consumption will increase, due to larger tables being required to manage physical memory. The larger tables may also result in lower performance in configurations which use large virtual pages aggressively. What Other Tunables Should Be Changed at the Same Time? Changes to and should be considered. CONFIGURATION RESTRICTIONS
The HFS filesystem does not support configurations where the HFS block size is smaller than the system base page size. Misconfigured HFS filesystems will cause the command to fail. There are two ways to avoid this problem: 1. Use only VxFS filesystems (the preferred solution). 2. Make your HFS filesystems with It is strongly recommended that systems configured with non-default settings of the tunable use only the VxFS filesytem to avoid problems with HFS. WARNINGS
Setting this tunable to other than the default can increase application and system performance. However, it can also cause some applica- tions to fail. It is important to understand the tradeoffs described in the white paper before changing this tunable. All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
vps_pagesize(5), vps_ceiling(5). There are more details in the white paper entitled located at Tunable Kernel Parameters base_pagesize(5)