Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Process existence or/and permission Post 302999927 by bakunin on Friday 30th of June 2017 05:24:58 AM
Old 06-30-2017
To me this looks like the result of /proc having rather weird permissions. What does

Code:
ls -ld /proc

show? Because if it is flagged "0" (oct) for "others" you can't even see directory entries in there except for the ones you are directly permitted to (by their own permissions).

I just checked with a system running kernel "3.0.101-97-default" (according to uname, some old SLES, i believe) and the output was

Code:
# ls -ld /proc
dr-xr-xr-x 182 root root 0 Jun 27 20:03 /proc

So users are able to see the directory entries in there, even if they are not permitted to access them.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop for file existence

I wasn't sure if I should post it here of in the Shell Script category, but I figured it was definitely a newbie question. I'm trying to write a script that will check for the existence of a specific file (or for any files within the directory) and then take specific actions. I've removed all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bd_joy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

File existence

Hey all, I have total new with shell scripting so I don't know if what I need to do even possible, here it is...for a duration of time (say...1 hour) I need to check for the existence of a particular file, if it exists then I will invoke a java program or I will continue to check until a)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpang_
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission on files restricted to a process

Hello, I have this process app.fcgi and a directory containing images. I'd like to ensure that only app.cgi can access those images and more generally that folder.Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JCR
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File existence using ls

Hi I want to check a particular file is available or not. But i know only the pattern of that file sat AB1234*.txt.I need the latest file name and it ll be used in the script. How can i do this using ls -ltr command. Thanks, LathishSundar V (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lathish
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

check existence of the path

Hi How can I check if the path exist or not? echo "Enter path:"; read my_path; ##I should check whether my_path exists or not.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to Monitor the existence of a file

Hi Folks, Please tell me the unix shell script command to check for the existence of some .done file in a location on the UNIX server. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dinesh1985
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash about url existence

Hi, I want to make a bash script which is running like : 1.sh http://www. google.com and check if the url does exist printing a message. I want to save the source code of this page in a file. Could you help me ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter20
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File existence

Hi I'm using the below command in shell script to check for file exists in the path if ..... fi path and test are variables path and the file exists but the commands inside if condition is executed (! operator used) Is the above way of checking for file existence is correct? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinoth_kumar
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File existence

Hope someone can help me on this In a directory ,files are dynamically generated.I need a script to do the following if files are not received for more than 2 hours or if the received file is empty then do something How can I put that in a script.Thank you eg. in cd /dir_name the... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: haadiya
13 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Permission to kill a process

I'm on AIX. I have triggered an infinite loop process (to keep looking for input file availability for further process). At present only I can kill the process. In case my colleague wants to kill the process for any reason, how do I provide permission to others to kill the process? Currently... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishmaths
3 Replies
LSDEV(8)							Linux System Manual							  LSDEV(8)

NAME
lsdev - display information about installed hardware SYNOPSIS
lsdev DESCRIPTION
lsdev gathers information about your computer's installed hardware from the interrupts, ioports and dma files in the /proc directory, thus giving you a quick overview of which hardware uses what I/O addresses and what IRQ and DMA channels. OPTIONS
None. FILES
/proc/interrupts IRQ channels. /proc/ioports I/O memory addresses. /proc/dma DMA channels. BUGS
lsdev can't always figure out which lines in the three examined files refer to one and the same device, because these files sometimes use different names for the same piece of hardware. For example, in some kernels the keyboard is referred to as `kbd' in /proc/ioports and as `keyboard' in /proc/interrupts. This should be fixed in the kernel, not in lsdev (as has indeed happened for this particular example). The program does however try to match lines by stripping anything after a space or open parenthesis from the name, so that e.g. the `serial' lines from /proc/interrupts match the `serial(set)' lines from /proc/ioports. This attempt at DWIM might be considered a bug in itself. This program only shows the kernel's idea of what hardware is present, not what's actually physically available. SEE ALSO
procinfo(8). AUTHOR
Sander van Malssen <svm@kozmix.cistron.nl> 3rd Release 1998-05-31 LSDEV(8)