Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need Multiple checks inside if condition in a bash shell script Post 302999883 by mohtashims on Thursday 29th of June 2017 08:58:00 AM
Old 06-29-2017
Hammer & Screwdriver Need Multiple checks inside if condition in a bash shell script

Hi,

I need to perform the untar and rm operation if the file found is a .tar and does not have test.tar or hello.tar as the file names.

Below is the loop to check the same.

Code:
        for tf in *.tar
        do      if [[ ( -f "$tf" ) && ( "$tf" != test.tar || "$tf" != hello.tar ) ]]
                then    found=1
                        echo "UNTAR THIS:"$tf
                        tar xvf "$tf" && rm -rf "$tf"
                        ec=$?
                        if [ $ec -ne 0 ]
                        then    exit $ec
                        fi
                else
                echo "DONT TOUCH THIS TAR:"$tf
                fi
        done

However, when I run the script in debug mode it is only checking the condition "$tf" != test.tar and ignores this check "$tf" != hello.tar

So it untars and removes hello.tar when it was suppose to ignore it.

Can you please suggest.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to check for a condition inside a file

Hi I am writing a script file which sends the log files along with their size in a folder named log to a file called temp.log using the following cmd: ls -st 190_GSTV_HUX_003QISCGSK026** >> /home/user/temp.log the temp.log looks like this: 16 190_GSTV_HUX_003QISCGSK026_message070321.log ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran1112
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need shell script that checks your user id and your permission level

I just need the shell script that checks your user id and your permission level. I sort of have one to check the user id but I don't like it. Can anyone help with this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yammer
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed inside bash script - accessing multiple files

I have a file (email) containing email addresses. I have a second file (terms) that contains simple regular expressions and words/characters. Here are some examples: \.trainee \.group \.web I want to go through email and delete lines containing the expressions/words from terms and write... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manouche
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Bash] MD5 Checks with Script.

Hi. I'm triyng to make a Bash Script that checks (recursively) the MD5 from all the files in a certain directory and compare them against some other check that should be already done and saved in a file. I've reached to the point where i have the MD5 from the file and the MD5 that the script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BiFo
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while using sqlplus command inside 'if' condition in an unix shell script

Hi all, I am using the below given sqlplus command in my unix script to invoke a stored procedure which returns a value .It works fine. RET_CODE=$(/opt/oracle/product/10.2.0.4.CL/bin/sqlplus -S $USER/$PASSWD@$DB_NAME <<EOF EXEC MY_PKG.MY_SP (:COUNT); PRINT COUNT; commit; ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shri123
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple condition checking in bash

Hi All, I am trying to check if two variables have value assigned to it. i am doing it like if ] then echo "Please specify either single hostname or host file for the report" usage exit fi But its not working for it.Even i specify values for both variables it dont go... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kailash19
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

If else condition inside for loop of awk command in UNIX shell scripting

Hi , Please excuse me for opening a new thread i am unable to find out the syntax error in my if else condition inside for loop in awk command , my actual aim is to print formatted html td tag when if condition (True) having string as "failed", could anyone please advise what is the right... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikram
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Run Multiple Systems Checks and mail me the results after every reboot- Linux

Hello, I'm trying to create a mechanism wherein a set of Production servers will email me the results of system checks like Uptime, NFS Mounts and a Process after every scheduled reboot. For this, I figured I'd use the @reboot parameter that crond comes with. I have added the below onliner... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pocodot
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Help] Bash script that runs in the background and checks for mails...

Hello! I have got a homework. The bash script runs in the background and checks the user's mailbox and when the user gets a new mail a popup window appears with some text and information about the sender (from who and when).I have no idea how to start, any help would be appreciated! Thank you:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: capo2ndfret
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Aliases NOT working inside bash shell script

i have defined a function ln_s() for customizing the ln command in script1.sh. more script1.sh echo "Starting Execution" ./script2.sh echo "End of Execution" ln_s(){ ] && return ln -s "$1" "$2" } My script1.sh executes another script2.sh which has the following entry more script2.sh... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
12 Replies
BF_TAR(1)						    Bogofilter Reference Manual 						 BF_TAR(1)

NAME
bf_tar - shell script to write a tar file of a bogofilter directory to stdout SYNOPSIS
bf_tar [-r] [-R] bogofilter_directory DESCRIPTION
bf_tar bundles a bogofilter working directory in tar format and copies it to standard output (your console, or where you redirect it, see EXAMPLES below). OPTIONS
The -r option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files after the archive has been written successfully. The default is to leave log files. The -R option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files before the archive is written. This may reduce chances that the resulting archive is recoverable should it become damaged. The archive may be smaller though. The default is to leave log files. EXIT STATUS
The script exits with status code 0 if everything went well, and nonzero if it encountered trouble. EXAMPLES
o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter > outfile.tar Writes a standard .tar file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar. o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter | gzip -9 -c > outfile.tar.gz Writes a gzipped .tar.gz file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar.gz. o bf_tar `pwd`/mydirectory > outfile.tar Prepend $(pwd)/ or `pwd`/ if you want to specify an absolute path instead of a relative path. NOTES
This script is meant for use with Berkeley DB based bogofilter versions. This script requires a SUSv2 compliant pax utility. This script expects a SUSv2 compliant shell. Solaris systems should have the SUNWxcu4 package installed (when bogofilter is configured) so that /usr/xpg4/bin/sh can be used. AUTHORS
Matthias Andree Bogofilter 10/22/2012 BF_TAR(1)