Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Process existence or/and permission Post 302999843 by MadeInGermany on Wednesday 28th of June 2017 02:46:53 PM
Old 06-28-2017
You suppress stderr. Does the ls -ld actually say "permission denied" for the others?
If yes then it can see them, and you can do
Code:
test -d /proc/<pid>

BTW ls -ld /proc/{0..9}* can generate non-existing stuff if a certain first digit is not present; ls -ld /proc/[0-9]* is appropriate here.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop for file existence

I wasn't sure if I should post it here of in the Shell Script category, but I figured it was definitely a newbie question. I'm trying to write a script that will check for the existence of a specific file (or for any files within the directory) and then take specific actions. I've removed all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bd_joy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

File existence

Hey all, I have total new with shell scripting so I don't know if what I need to do even possible, here it is...for a duration of time (say...1 hour) I need to check for the existence of a particular file, if it exists then I will invoke a java program or I will continue to check until a)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpang_
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission on files restricted to a process

Hello, I have this process app.fcgi and a directory containing images. I'd like to ensure that only app.cgi can access those images and more generally that folder.Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JCR
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File existence using ls

Hi I want to check a particular file is available or not. But i know only the pattern of that file sat AB1234*.txt.I need the latest file name and it ll be used in the script. How can i do this using ls -ltr command. Thanks, LathishSundar V (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lathish
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

check existence of the path

Hi How can I check if the path exist or not? echo "Enter path:"; read my_path; ##I should check whether my_path exists or not.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to Monitor the existence of a file

Hi Folks, Please tell me the unix shell script command to check for the existence of some .done file in a location on the UNIX server. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dinesh1985
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash about url existence

Hi, I want to make a bash script which is running like : 1.sh http://www. google.com and check if the url does exist printing a message. I want to save the source code of this page in a file. Could you help me ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter20
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File existence

Hi I'm using the below command in shell script to check for file exists in the path if ..... fi path and test are variables path and the file exists but the commands inside if condition is executed (! operator used) Is the above way of checking for file existence is correct? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinoth_kumar
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File existence

Hope someone can help me on this In a directory ,files are dynamically generated.I need a script to do the following if files are not received for more than 2 hours or if the received file is empty then do something How can I put that in a script.Thank you eg. in cd /dir_name the... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: haadiya
13 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Permission to kill a process

I'm on AIX. I have triggered an infinite loop process (to keep looking for input file availability for further process). At present only I can kill the process. In case my colleague wants to kill the process for any reason, how do I provide permission to others to kill the process? Currently... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishmaths
3 Replies
KILLPG(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 KILLPG(3)

NAME
killpg - send signal to a process group SYNOPSIS
#include <signal.h> int killpg(int pgrp, int sig); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): killpg(): _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 500 || /* Since glibc 2.19: */ _DEFAULT_SOURCE || /* Glibc versions <= 2.19: */ _BSD_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
killpg() sends the signal sig to the process group pgrp. See signal(7) for a list of signals. If pgrp is 0, killpg() sends the signal to the calling process's process group. (POSIX says: if pgrp is less than or equal to 1, the behavior is undefined.) For the permissions required to send a signal to another process, see kill(2). RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EINVAL sig is not a valid signal number. EPERM The process does not have permission to send the signal to any of the target processes. For the required permissions, see kill(2). ESRCH No process can be found in the process group specified by pgrp. ESRCH The process group was given as 0 but the sending process does not have a process group. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001, POSIX.1-2008, SVr4, 4.4BSD (killpg() first appeared in 4BSD). NOTES
There are various differences between the permission checking in BSD-type systems and System V-type systems. See the POSIX rationale for kill(). A difference not mentioned by POSIX concerns the return value EPERM: BSD documents that no signal is sent and EPERM returned when the permission check failed for at least one target process, while POSIX documents EPERM only when the permission check failed for all tar- get processes. C library/kernel differences On Linux, killpg() is implemented as a library function that makes the call kill(-pgrp, sig). SEE ALSO
getpgrp(2), kill(2), signal(2), capabilities(7), credentials(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2017-09-15 KILLPG(3)