Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Which shell can I use on Linux? Post 302999759 by digioleg54 on Tuesday 27th of June 2017 04:17:16 PM
Old 06-27-2017
Which shell can I use on Linux?

I have Linux x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
I thought that Linux can use only bash shell
however, when I wrote the code:

Code:
 #!/bin/sh
 NAME=`basename $0 .sh`
Today=`date '+%Y%m%d'`
TIMESTAMP=`date +%H:%M:%S`
LOCAL_SERVER=`hostname`
 let countcla=0
 countcla=`expr ${countcla} + 1`
 echo "${NAME} ${Today} ${TIMESTAMP} ${LOCAL_SERVER} ${countcla}"
exit

the result was
Code:
 test 20170627 16:15:48 gbdted01.us.db.com 1

Does it means I can use any shell, not ONLY BASH? Does it mean that I don't have to convert my old shell scripts to bash?

Thanks for contribution

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux Shell Question: how to print the shell script name ?

Suppose I have a script named "sc.sh" in the script how to print out its name "sc.sh"? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: meili100
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with linux shell script

HI im a novice with shell scripts but i need help with a random script I have this folder filled with 500 different file names... I need help creating a script that will take each filename and make a new folder named that filename and then move that file into the newly created folder. Then the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: emachala
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting Linux

In shell Can I pass " to a program ? If not what is the work around ..? Can I define * as a wild card charecter that will return all the values from the files ..? I am trying to create a tool that will return the values from a property file . This tool has to support all the wild card... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: app1sxv
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell programming in Linux

Hi, I have been working on Sun Solaris since a long time. Recently I got to work on RH Linux. My Linux version details are: Linux 2.6.18-164.el5 #1 SMP Tue Aug 18 15:51:48 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux I have a simple command in my shell script: export BKPTAG=`date... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagarparadkar
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help! Linux shell script

Hi all, I am trying to make a Nodemanager work in RHEL 5 I got this script from 'oraclemiddleware.wordpress.com', and made appropriate changes to suit my weblogic installation. I keep getting the error, "line 82: syntax error: unexpected end of file". I have checked every line to make sure all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chakrv1
4 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Linux Shell Script

Hi Guys I am new to Linux Shell Scripting . Can any one help me with this Task...files are attached for reference Task 1: write a script to generate a large size report file MX0002_new.XML by using the template MX0001_new.XML. Shell script is recomended, and it can run on Linux without... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samy_1811
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Shell Linux

Hello, Please, how can I complete this script: Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur857
2 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Help with Linux shell

Taking a class and having trouble with this whole section. 1. What is the name of the action the shell performs on your command-line after you hit the ENTER key (i.e., to cut your command-line syntax into its constituent tokens, including its commands, options and arguments)? Hint: It is a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: red20132014
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need some Help please with Linux shell script.

we need help with the syntax with this shell script, if you could create this shell script we can donate to a charity etc. we need to set up a directory called user3 inside directory user3 we need to create the following files : afile, anyfile, anotherfile, afiletest, bfile. bfiletest, cfile,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cometboy
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash Shell Linux

I have a csv file that looks like this Name,Food,Sport James,Curry,Gym Darren,Pizza,Football Jim,Fish,Hockey James,Sushi,Tennis My code looks like this IFS="," sed 1d $file_name | while read Name Food Sport do mkdir -p $Name #echo "==================" #echo "Name: $Name" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: darklord173
3 Replies
SYSTEM(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 SYSTEM(3)

NAME
system - execute a shell command SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> int system(const char *command); DESCRIPTION
system() executes a command specified in command by calling /bin/sh -c command, and returns after the command has been completed. During execution of the command, SIGCHLD will be blocked, and SIGINT and SIGQUIT will be ignored. RETURN VALUE
The value returned is -1 on error (e.g. fork(2) failed), and the return status of the command otherwise. This latter return status is in the format specified in wait(2). Thus, the exit code of the command will be WEXITSTATUS(status). In case /bin/sh could not be executed, the exit status will be that of a command that does exit(127). If the value of command is NULL, system() returns nonzero if the shell is available, and zero if not. system() does not affect the wait status of any other children. CONFORMING TO
C89, C99, POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
If the _XOPEN_SOURCE feature test macro is defined (before including any header files), then the macros described in wait(2) (WEXITSTA- TUS(), etc.) are made available when including <stdlib.h>. As mentioned, system() ignores SIGINT and SIGQUIT. This may make programs that call it from a loop uninterruptible, unless they take care themselves to check the exit status of the child. E.g. while (something) { int ret = system("foo"); if (WIFSIGNALED(ret) && (WTERMSIG(ret) == SIGINT || WTERMSIG(ret) == SIGQUIT)) break; } Do not use system() from a program with set-user-ID or set-group-ID privileges, because strange values for some environment variables might be used to subvert system integrity. Use the exec(3) family of functions instead, but not execlp(3) or execvp(3). system() will not, in fact, work properly from programs with set-user-ID or set-group-ID privileges on systems on which /bin/sh is bash version 2, since bash 2 drops privileges on startup. (Debian uses a modified bash which does not do this when invoked as sh.) In versions of glibc before 2.1.3, the check for the availability of /bin/sh was not actually performed if command was NULL; instead it was always assumed to be available, and system() always returned 1 in this case. Since glibc 2.1.3, this check is performed because, even though POSIX.1-2001 requires a conforming implementation to provide a shell, that shell may not be available or executable if the calling program has previously called chroot(2) (which is not specified by POSIX.1-2001). It is possible for the shell command to return 127, so that code is not a sure indication that the execve(2) call failed. SEE ALSO
sh(1), signal(2), wait(2), exec(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. 2010-09-10 SYSTEM(3)