Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Remove unneeded Ethernet devices? Post 302999557 by jnojr on Thursday 22nd of June 2017 12:38:10 PM
Old 06-22-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by hicksd8
I think the words that you need to search for are "Solaris unplumb".
The interfaces are unplumbed and unconfigured. But the kernel is seeing and registering them at boot.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing unneeded information from grep?

Im looking for a way to setup a lil' script that will read the output from a command and dump certain items from that into another file for an example, im trying this cat test | grep "statement" > test.answer but its giving me the full line that it finds is there any way to take out a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rizal
7 Replies

2. HP-UX

HP-UX 10.20 devices

Is it possible to create the CDROM device file for a drive attached to the parallel port? I have a removable CDROM drive (gift - I'm trying not to return it, but may have to anyways) that attaches via parallel port. The only device that I can attach to that hardware address is /dev/c1t0d0_lp, a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LivinFree
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix devices

Hi I am trying to determine the access to unix devices. I found the follow access description which I have been told is a symbolic link and is not the actual file. I was also told that all symbolic links will have rwxrwxrwx access. kmem: lrwxrwxrwx 1 root 27 May 28 16:06 /dev/kmem ->... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GW01
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

USB Devices

I am trying to get a flash card reader to work with my machine. My question is, are all of my USB ports screwed up? Do I need to buy a seperate USB controller? I does not appear that the onboard USB ports work. In trying to get it to work, I typed cat /proc/scsi/scsi and got this: # cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidkretsch
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Meta Devices

I have added a sun storage array from a faiulty server onto a new server and copied the md.conf files etc. I can now access the /dev/md/dsk file systems, but I want to delete some metadevices that do not exist (it still thinks the 0 and 1 (root /var /export) disk are mirrored. How do I do this? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozzmosiz
8 Replies

6. Solaris

what is /devices/pseudo/ ??

Hi all, what does this mean? if then <something> fi here is what i know.. it checks if the specified argument no($devid) in some function call is made into a block device and then proceeds with the execution of the loop. However am not understand what lofi@0:means? also is there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passthrough devices vs. named devices

I am having trouble understanding the difference between a passthrough device and a named device and when you would use one or the other to access equipment. As an example, we have a tape library and giving the command "camcontrol devlist" gives the following output: akx# camcontrol... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thumper
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev X /devices

Hi folks, I am trying to learn Unix based in Linux... In Linux, in /Dev are files related to cards, mouse, etc.. how about Unix? What is the difference between /Dev and /Devices? Thanks, Fernanda (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ffpradella
0 Replies

9. HP-UX

list of devices

Hi, I need to rediracte all the names of the devices (only disks) to a file. Thanks:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
3 Replies

10. AIX

vio server ethernet to vio client ethernet(concepts confusing)

Hi In the vio server when I do # lsattr -El hdisk*, I get a PVID. The same PVID is also seen when I put the lspv command on the vio client partition. This way Im able to confirm the lun using the PVID. Similarly how does the vio client partition gets the virtual ethernet scsi client adapter... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
1 Replies
sppptun(1M)						  System Administration Commands					       sppptun(1M)

NAME
sppptun - PPP tunneling driver utility SYNOPSIS
sppptun plumb sppptun plumb protocol device sppptun unplumb interface sppptun query DESCRIPTION
The sppptun utility is used to configure and query the Solaris PPP tunneling device driver, /dev/sppptun. Currently, only PPP over Ether- net (PPPoE) is supported, so the plumb and unplumb arguments are used to specify Ethernet interfaces that are to be used for PPPoE, and the query option lists the plumbed interfaces. The use of sppptun to add interfaces is similar to the use of ifconfig(1M) to add interfaces to IP. The plumbing is done once for each interface, preferably at system start-up time, and is not normally manipulated on a running system. If multiple instances of PPP are run over a single interface, they share the plumbing to that interface. Plumbing for each session is not required (and not possible for PPPoE). The proper way to plumb interfaces for PPPoE is to list the interfaces, one per line, in the /etc/ppp/pppoe.if file. USAGE
sppptun plumb When specified with no additional arguments, the plumb argument lists the protocols that are supported by the utility. These are the strings that are used as the protocol argument below. sppptun plumb protocol device This plumbs a new interface into the driver. The protocol parameter is pppoe for the PPP-carrying "Session Stage" connection or pppoed for the PPPoE "Discovery Stage" connection. Both connections must be present for each Ethernet interface that is to be used for PPPoE. The device parameter is the path name of the Ethernet interface to use (use ifconfig(1M) to list available devices). If the path begins with /dev/, then this portion may be omitted. sppptun unplumb interface This removes an existing interface from the driver and terminates any PPP sessions that were using the interface. The interface parame- ter is the name of the interface as reported when the interface was plumbed. sppptun query Displays the canonical names of all interfaces plumbed into the /dev/sppptun device driver. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Setting up to Use PPPoE on hme0 Plumb the hme0 interface. # sppptun plumb pppoed hme0 hme0:pppoed # sppptun plumb pppoe hme0 hme0:pppoe Remove the hme0 interface. # sppptun unplumb hme0:pppoed # sppptun unplumb hme0:pppoe Example 2: Script to Remove All Plumbed Interfaces #!/bin/sh for intf in `sppptun query` do sppptun unplumb $intf done EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 1 One or more errors occurred. FILES
/etc/ppp/pppoe.if list of Ethernet interfaces to be plumbed at boot time /usr/sbin/sppptun executable command /dev/sppptun Solaris PPP tunneling device driver ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWpppdt | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
pppd(1M), pppoec(1M), pppoed(1M), sppptun(7M) RFC 2516, Method for Transmitting PPP Over Ethernet (PPPoE), Mamakos et al, February 1999 SunOS 5.10 19 Mar 2001 sppptun(1M)