Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Processing arguments in a string Post 302999539 by user052009 on Thursday 22nd of June 2017 10:22:35 AM
Old 06-22-2017
Processing arguments in a string

Hi

The following code works when reading the arguments from the command line but fails when I try to read from a string. So this works

Code:
while [ -n "$1" ]; do
  case $1 in
        -dbversion) if [ "`echo $2 | grep -e '^-[a-z]'`" ]; then { echo "ERROR: missing value for '$1' (seen '$2')"; usage; exit 1; } else { shift; INPUT_VERSION=$1;   } fi ;;
        -type) if [ "`echo $2 | grep -e '^-[a-z]'`" ]; then { echo "ERROR: missing value for '$1' (seen '$2')"; usage; exit 1; } else { shift; INPUT_TARGET_TYPE=$1;   } fi ;;
        -host) if [ "`echo $2 | grep -e '^-[a-z]'`" ]; then { echo "ERROR: missing value for '$1' (seen '$2')"; usage; exit 1; } else { shift; INPUT_HOST=$1;   } fi ;;
  *)    echo "ERROR: unknown argument '$1'"; exit 1;;
  esac
  shift
done

but when I replace the line
Code:
while [ -n "$1" ]; do

witth
Code:
OPTPARMS="-dbversion 11.2.0.4.0 -type backup -host testhost"
 while [ -n $OPTPARMS ]; do

it only sees the "ERROR: unknown argument"

Can somebody please tell me what the problem is?
Many thanks

Please ignore the old code (back ticks, echo etc.).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

String Processing

I had a file with 150k records in it and I ran a tr on it to remove all new lines/CR which created one large record(whoops). Is there a way to add a \n after every 39th character without using 'dd' to turn it back into the original format? dd is way to slow. shell is ksh. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bthomas
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

string processing

hi, I have a string "satabeltodounixscriptingpleasecheckfortheerros" in the above line if it contains "unix" , i need to take 5 characters after that word. please help thanks in advance Satya (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining string arguments

Hi, how can I join given arguments (not starting from the first one) to form one string, each argument separated by a space. For example, out of 5 given arguments, I'll like to start joining from the 3rd to the last. In python there exists something like ' '.join(sys.argv) and it starts joining... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: plhelpme
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

String processing in CSH

Please delete it (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesharma
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

string manipulation in arguments

Hi all, I have a requirement where I am taking the first argument as argument name and storing the second argument in argument name as value. Thanks to ppl here, i learnt to do it.:p while ( $1 != "" ) set arg = $1 shift set val = "$1" echo "set... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesharma
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing command line arguments from string list

I am passing a list of strings $list and want to remove all entries with --shift=number, --sort=number/number/..., --group=number/number/... Also are removed whether upper or lower case letters are used For example the following will all be deleted from the list --shift=12 --shift=2324... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
7 Replies

7. Programming

Processing Arguments pased to Makefile

I have a makefile and want to allow passing -01 -02 -03 for the user to define the level of optimization he wants. Doing this gets make to send an error. make -03 make: invalid option -- '0' make: invalid option -- '3' Usage: make ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processing Multiple Arguments in Command Line Options

Hi All, I am new to scripting. Could you please assist me . Here is my requirement. I have written a script that has 2 option flags defined. -l) calls some function with the arguments passed in front of -l -r) calls second function with the arguments passed in front of -r *) calls the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jay Deshpande
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arguments in variable vs direct string

Hello Community! Let's say that we have some script which counts its arguments number: arguments_count.sh: #!/bin/sh echo "Number of arguments="$#and some test script: test.sh: #!/bin/sh my_args="1 2 3 '4 5' 6" echo "Count of arguments when using my_args:" ./arguments_count.sh $my_args... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: break_da_funk
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh parsing arguments in a string rather than from the cmdln

Hi. I have a piece of code that reads and parses command line options. I'd like to alter it slightly to read from a string (that's set elsewhere in the script) rather than directly from the command line (arg). Can somebody show me how to do this? Many thanks. My code is as follows: typeset... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
6 Replies
trap(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           trap(1)

NAME
trap, onintr - shell built-in functions to respond to (hardware) signals SYNOPSIS
sh trap [ argument n [n2...]] csh onintr [-| label] ksh *trap [ arg sig [ sig2...]] DESCRIPTION
sh The trap command argument is to be read and executed when the shell receives numeric or symbolic signal(s) (n). (Note: argument is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Trap commands are executed in order of signal number or corresponding symbolic names. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. An attempt to trap on signal 11 (memory fault) produces an error. If argument is absent all trap(s) n are reset to their original values. If argument is the null string this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If n is 0 the command argument is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. csh onintr controls the action of the shell on interrupts. With no arguments, onintr restores the default action of the shell on interrupts. (The shell terminates shell scripts and returns to the terminal command input level). With the - argument, the shell ignores all inter- rupts. With a label argument, the shell executes a goto label when an interrupt is received or a child process terminates because it was interrupted. ksh trap uses arg as a command to be read and executed when the shell receives signal(s) sig. (Note that arg is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Each sig can be given as a number or as the name of the signal. trap commands are executed in order of signal number. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. If arg is omitted or is -, then the trap(s) for each sig are reset to their original values. If arg is the null (the empty string, e.g., "" ) string then this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If sig is ERR then arg will be executed whenever a command has a non- zero exit status. If sig is DEBUG then arg will be executed after each command. If sig is 0 or EXIT for a trap set outside any function then the command arg is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 23 Oct 1994 trap(1)