Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Chaining together exec within find Post 302999514 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 21st of June 2017 06:52:24 PM
Old 06-21-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs42885
I would like to chain everything together using one find command. Here is what I am attempting, and my output.

Code:

find /directory/toscan -type f -exec ls -latr '{}' '+' -exec tar -rvf /directory/foroutput/archive.tar '{}' '+' -exec rm '{}' '+'

I am getting this -

Code:

ls: illegal option -- v
usage: ls [-1ACFHLNRSabcdefgiklmnopqrstuxEUX] [File...]

I am on aix -
Code:

6100-09-06-1543

I see that you have chosen to ignore the problems I mentioned in post #9 in this thread. You do so at your own peril!

From the error you have shown us, we might guess that one or more of the files you are processing has a hyphen as the first character of the pathname that is being passed to ls by find. But, that can't be the case with the command line you have shown us since every pathname that find would pass to ls would have to start with /directory/toscan and the options you have find passing to ls do not include -v.

Are you absolutely positive that the diagnostic you have shown us from ls came from one of the invocations of ls in the find command above?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find and exec

Hi, Happy new year. Would you be so kind to explain me what does this instruction : find /rep/app -type l -exec ls -l {} \;> allink.lst Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

query about find and -exec

Hi, i have query about "find" command. Do I need to put the command after -exec in single quotes? Why? For ex. see output of these three find commands. Any explanations? cheers, -Ashish (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriashishpatil
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

| with find -exec

can we use |(pipe operator) with find -exec.....? or can pipe the output of find command to another command...? if not, why...? pls explain (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijay_0209
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using MV FIND and -EXEC

Hi, i would like to rename files in directories and subdirs. Files contains specific french or strange caracters. I want to replace all non alpha-numerics by _ (underscore) First, i made this, but i think the "for" is limited. How can i do this directly by FIND ? for file in $(find .... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: degraff63
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find Exec

Hello All, Is there a way to make exec do a couple of operations on a single input from find? For example, find . -type d -exec ls -l "{}" ";" I would like to give the result of each "ls -l" in the above to a wc. Is that possible? I want to ls -l | wc -l inside... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasanna1157
1 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Find and exec

Hello, I am a linux newbe. I want to install a program. I can download it only with wget command from internet. As far as i know this wget command does not transfer the exacutable flags. Because of that i wanted to find all configure files and change their mod to 744. I found this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: disconnectus
1 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Find and EXEC

This is a huge issue. and I need it fixed ASAP. account-system gate-system race_traffic_sensor achievement-system global race_voicepack admin glue-system realdriveby admin-system gps realism-system... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: austech360
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find: missing argument to `-exec' while redirecting using find in perl

Hi Friends, Please help me to sort out this problem, I am running this in centos o/s and whenever I run this script I am getting "find: missing argument to `-exec' " but when I run the same code in the command line I didn't find any problem. I am using perl script to run this ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumarselvam
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command with -exec

Hi all, Please could someone help with the following command requirement. I basically need to find files NEWER than a given file and order the result on time. My attempt so far is as follows: find . -newer <file_name> -exec ls -lrt {} ;\ But I dont seem to get the right result... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyd
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

2 exec in find

Guys, I want to find the log files greather than 23 days and i want to perform 2 things here. one is to list the files and second is to gzip the files. hope this can be done using sh -c option. but not sure the exact command. find . -name "*.log" -mtime +23 -exec ls -la {} \; ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AraR87
5 Replies
BBACKUPCTL(8)							    Box Backup							     BBACKUPCTL(8)

NAME
bbackupctl - Control the Box Backup client daemon SYNOPSIS
bbackupctl [-q] [-c config-file] command DESCRIPTION
bbackupctl sends commands to a running bbackupd daemon on a client machine. It can be used to force an immediate backup, tell the daemon to reload its configuration files or stop the daemon. If bbackupd is configured in snapshot mode, it will not back up automatically, and the bbackupctl must be used to tell it when to start a backup. Communication with the bbackupd daemon takes place over a local socket (not over the network). Some platforms (notably Windows) can't determine if the user connecting on this socket has the correct credentials to execute the commands. On these platforms, ANY local user can interfere with bbackupd. To avoid this, remove the CommandSocket option from bbackupd.conf, which will also disable bbackupctl. See the Client Configuration page for more information. bbackupctl needs to read the bbackupd configuration file to find out the name of the CommandSocket. If you have to tell bbackupd where to find the configuration file, you will have to tell bbackupctl as well. The default on Unix systems is usually /etc/box/bbackupd.conf. On Windows systems, it is bbackupd.conf in the same directory where bbackupd.exe is located. If bbackupctl cannot find or read the configuration file, it will log an error message and exit. bbackupctl usually writes error messages to the console and the system logs. If it is not doing what you expect, please check these outputs first of all. -q Run in quiet mode. -c config-file Specify configuration file. Commands The following commands are available in bbackupctl: terminate This command cleanly shuts down bbackupd. This is better than killing or terminating it any other way. reload Causes the bbackupd daemon to re-read all its configuration files. Equivalent to kill -HUP. sync Initiates a backup. If no files need to be backed up, no connection will be made to the server. force-sync Initiates a backup, even if the SyncAllowScript says that no backup should run now. wait-for-sync Passively waits until the next backup starts of its own accord, and then terminates. wait-for-end Passively waits until the next backup starts of its own accord and finishes, and then terminates. sync-and-wait Initiates a backup, waits for it to finish, and then terminates. FILES
/etc/box/bbackupd.conf SEE ALSO
bbackupd.conf(5), bbackupd-config(8), bbackupctl(8) AUTHORS
Ben Summers Per Thomsen James O'Gorman Box Backup 0.11 10/28/2011 BBACKUPCTL(8)