Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Clone 1 Hard disk fromIBM Intellipoint server with AIX 5.x Post 302999486 by bakunin on Wednesday 21st of June 2017 08:12:55 AM
Old 06-21-2017
OK, now i got it: you were trying to clone a server. This is far easier done (and much more reliably so) by using the following information:

Investigate the mksysb command. It creates a backup image of a rootvg, but enriched by boot code and other information necessary to isntall a system from this image. You need a tape drive or disk space outisde of your rootvg to do it.

Result of the mksysb is a system image, basically a file. If it is written to some special devices (DVD, tape) it is bootable and you can use it on another system (doesn't even have to be identical, just sufficiently similar) to boot this and install it to a copy of the system from which you took it.

If you use any other device as a target (including a disk file) this will not be bootable by itself so you will need a boot media to boot the system and then you are able to still use the file as a source of installation arriving at the sasme result as above.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

hard disk information in AIX

Hi, Other than df -k, is there any command that will tell me all physical hard drives installed on the system as well as the size of each one? I'm using AIX 5.1 Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: quickfirststep
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

IInd Hard Disk Mounting Problem on 1st HDD On SCO UNIX Open Server

Hi Engg. ! :mad: I have a harddisk on which SCO UNIX Open Server was installed. There was some data (in .dbf format) on it. Present condition of HDD is that it is not booting. Now I want to mount this HDD through other HDD on which SCO UNIX Open Server is installed by attaching... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Niraj Gopal Sha
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Add new hard disk to sun sparc server?

A sparc server has a new SCSI hard disk added and labeled by the engineer, but they need to be formatted identically to an existing disk (c4t0d0). You decide to script the process and run from the command line without interaction. I know that the following command line must be achieve this. #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingsan
3 Replies

4. SCO

Clone hard disk using Ghost

Hi. We tried cloning a SCO Unix hard disk using Norton Ghost. However, the new cloned hard disk encounter booting problem. What possibly go wrong? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mizan
1 Replies

5. SCO

Hard disk clone of OpenServer 5.0.0 didn't work, why?

Continuing saga of working on making a retail store more robust by creating a backup clone of the main server, a 1995 era :eek: PC running SCO OpenServer 5.0.0b and a discontinued Point of Sales (POS) software system. I have a PC of the same make and model. The CPU runs faster and it has a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt10
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

How to monitor HP server hard disk failure ?

in red hat 4, 5 any one know any commands or any scritps to monitor HP DL 380 G5/6 server and trigger alarm when hard disk failed. thanks for all support ---------- Post updated at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:00 PM ---------- does HP ProLiant Support Pack support is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxlee24
4 Replies

7. Linux

C++ Code to Access Linux Hard Disk Sectors (with a LoopBack Virtual Hard Disk)

Hi all, I'm kind of new to programming in Linux & c/c++. I'm currently writing a FileManager using Ubuntu Linux(10.10) for Learning Purposes. I've got started on this project by creating a loopback device to be used as my virtual hard disk. After creating the loop back hard disk and mounting it... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: shen747
23 Replies

8. AIX

Clone or mirror your AIX OS larger disk to smaller disk ?

hello folks, I have a 300GB ROOTVG volume groups with one filesystem /backup having 200GB allocated space Now, I cannot alt disk clone or mirrorvg this hdisk with another smaller disk. The disk size has to be 300GB; I tried alt disk clone and mirrorvg , it doesn't work. you cannot copy LVs as... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
9 Replies

9. AIX

AIX hard disk failure

Hi all, I have encountered the issue with the hard disk, the disk is failed and need to replace by the new one. As my understanding, this is just to take out the failed disk and insert the new ones, and that's all. But the third party hardware vendor said, there should be another procedure... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phat
9 Replies
BOOTCDBACKUP(1) 						   bootcd utils 						   BOOTCDBACKUP(1)

NAME
bootcdbackup - create a bootable offline backup of a unix system SYNOPSIS
bootcdbackup [-i] [-v] [-s] [-c <config directory>] [-url <url] [-nomount] [-2diskconf <file>] <dev> <name> <builddir> DESCRIPTION
bootcdbackup creates a offline backup from a installed system. You need a running bootcd to boot the system with. This CD/DVD is booted on the system and bootcdbackup creates a bootable CD/DVD with the bootcd kernel and the backup disk as tar-file. To restore or clone the system, boot the CD/DVD image and install it with bootcd2disk -c <name> on the system. bootcdbackup can try to discover the disk partition by searching for fstab on the given partition. A other way to backup the partition ta- ble is the program bootcdmk2diskconf which creates a configuration file on a running system. OPTIONS
-i The bootcdbackup runs in interactive mode and you can run each function manually. This option is useful for debugging. -v The option "-v" (verbose) adds messages on running. -s This option can be used to disable interactive questions and to try to ignore errors. -c <config directory> The configuration directory which includes the file "bootcdbackup.conf", default is "/etc/bootcd". -url <url> If bootcdbackup is slow on your system (because of a slow CD/DVD drive or the HP ILO virtual CD interface), you can use an image server to get the image from. bootcdbackup use the SWAP partition of your upcoming system as temporary space and copy the image from the configured image server to this partition and use it as image. The image server url is configured with this option. -nomount The target disk should not be mounted and no search for fstab is done. --cpio Normally as backup tool star will be used if selinux files have to be backed up and cpio will be used if not. With this option the usage of cpio can be forced. --star Normally as backup tool star will be used if selinux files have to be backed up and cpio will be used if not. With this option the usage of star can be forced. -2diskconf <file> The parameter configures a bootcd2disk.conf for the restore of the system done by bootcd2disk. The configuration file can be created with the command bootcdmk2diskconf. <dev> Configures the device where bootcdbackup finds the file "fstab" and discover the configuration for the restore. <name> The name of the backup (no blanks!) is used on the creation time and to restore the backup with bootcd2disk -c <name>. <builddir> Builddir is an directory on the backup system where bootcdbackup build the backup CD/DVD. Space for the CD/DVD image, for compression and the data is needed! All other configuration has to be done in the config files. FILES
/etc/bootcd/bootcdbackup.conf Configuration for bootcdbackup. SEE ALSO
Documentation in bootcdbackup.conf bootcdbackup.conf(5), bootcd(1), bootcdflopcp(1), bootcdwrite(1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Bernd Schumacher <bernd.schumacher@hp.com> and Carsten Dinkelmann <Carsten.Dinkelmann@foobar-cpa.de> for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). bootcdbackup 2007-07-05 BOOTCDBACKUP(1)