Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: FTP script not working
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting FTP script not working Post 302999401 by hicksd8 on Monday 19th of June 2017 04:10:18 PM
Old 06-19-2017
This is how this would usually be configured.

The script would address the target host by name, e.g. jupiter

When ftp is called in a script:

Code:
ftp jupiter

the host name is looked up in /etc/hosts to produce the target ip address.
So the /etc/hosts entry for the target needs to be correct.

A .netrc record would then be:

Code:
machine jupiter login xxxxxx password yyyyyy

Also, for a .netrc to work at all.....
1. .netrc MUST be in the home directory of the user under which the ftp script is running
2. .netrc MUST be owned by that user.
3. .netrc MUST have access rights 600 giving read/write only to that user.

I initially suggest you check all that out to ensure the editing for change of ip address hasn't screwed any of that up.
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

mput is not working in ftp script

1)In this script mput command is not working( not transfering multiple files, it is able to send single file) 2)here is the script to automate the ftp process . 3)for transfering files from one machine to other machine using ftp can anyone can give me the solution in this issue Script is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsri
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP script not working

hi I have made d below ftp script but the last part of script ie. moving the files after transfer (to a location in the source server only) is not working for me. Can anybody pls..help.in same..!!! ####################################################### #!/bin/sh ftp -n 10.209.13.11... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rookie250
2 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

FTP is not working.

Hi, I'm getting the following error while trying to use the ftp command. ---------------- 331 Password required for prodofsa. Password: 230 User prodofsa logged in. ftp> ftp> ftp> ftp> ls 200 PORT command successful. 425 Can't build data connection: Connection timed out. ftp>... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronald_brayan
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp in shell script is not working

Hi All, I have writtern a shell script which has a sql query. I want to send the results of sql query to a shared area over a network.I also want to log the errors in a log file if the text file is not sent to shared area. The results of sql query are spooled in TEMPFILE. LOGFILE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nsachin
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix FTP Script connecting through proxy Not working

Hi All, can some one please help me to solve this issue, its urgent:confused: We need to FTP a file form our Unix server to an external client FTP location. I am trying to connect to the proxy server first and then use the below USER comment to connect to the external FTP server, and its working... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JesusJoseph
3 Replies

6. Linux

FTP not working under Linux but working under any other OS ??? Very strange

Dear all, I am totally despaired and puzzled. Using Filezilla under Windows under the same network as our Linux servers is working. Using FTP command-line client under any of our Linux debian servers is not working ! I tried with different FTP servers -> same problem ! All commands are... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: magix_ch
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script for ftp-upload is not working

Hello everyone, sorry for the title, most of you must getting sick of reading something like this, but I haven't found a solution, although I found many threads according to it. I'm working on a bash script that connects to a network printer with ftp where I want to upload a pdf created... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: le_mae
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script not working after FTP

Hi Gurus, I prepared a script to process some files and then ftp the output file to mainframe directory. Here is the code snippet for the same. # Perform FTP echo "put $TGT_DR/$K.$F.$I.$K1.$RUN_TYPE '$K.$F.$I.$K1.$RUN_TYPE'" >> $LogFile ftp -i -n <<EOF >> $LogFile open... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP using script not working (for transfering file from a remote unix server to windows PC.)

hi, Im using the following code for FTP #!/usr/bin/ksh ftp -v -n "10.29.45.11" << cmd user "mahesva" "mahesva123" get rtl.tar quit cmd Below is the log when i run the above code ********************************** Connected to 10.29.45.11. 220 (vsFTPd 2.0.1) 530 Please login with USER... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: dll_fpga
20 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP script not working

Hi , Hi , seems in my code '\' is ignoring in user id and considering DB_SVCGPRUAT as a ID and failing to connect to the FTP server. my complete ID 'BD\SVCGPRUAT', how to rectify this error. #!/bin/bash myuser='"BD\_SVCGPRUAT" { BD is domain } mypass='Welcome$123'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Riverstone
4 Replies
netrc(4)							   File Formats 							  netrc(4)

NAME
netrc - file for ftp remote login data DESCRIPTION
The .netrc file contains data for logging in to a remote host over the network for file transfers by ftp(1). This file resides in the user's home directory on the machine initiating the file transfer. Its permissions should be set to disallow read access by group and oth- ers (see chmod(1)). The following tokens are recognized; they may be separated by SPACE, TAB, or NEWLINE characters: machine name Identify a remote machine name. The auto-login process searches the .netrc file for a machine token that matches the remote machine specified on the ftp command line or as an open command argument. Once a match is made, the subsequent .netrc tokens are processed, stopping when the EOF is reached or another machine token is encountered. default Same as machine name, except that default matches any name. There can be only one default token, and it must be after all machine tokens. The default token is normally used as follows: default login anonymous password user@site Such an entry gives the user automatic anonymous ftp login to machines not specified in .netrc. login name Identify a user on the remote machine. If this token is present, the auto-login process will initiate a login using the specified name. password string Supply a password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires a password as part of the login process. Note: if this token is present in the .netrc file, ftp will abort the auto-login process if the .netrc is readable by anyone besides the user. account string Supply an additional account password. If this token is present, the auto-login process supplies the specified string if the remote server requires an additional account password. If the remote server does not require an additional account password, the auto-login process will initiate an ACCT command. macdef name Define a macro. This token functions the same as ftp macdef. A macro is defined with the specified name; its contents begin with the next .netrc line and continue until a null line (consecutive NEWLINE characters) is encountered. If a macro named init is defined, it is automatically executed as the last step in the auto-login process. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A Sample .netrc File A .netrc file containing the following line: machine ray login demo password mypassword allows an autologin to the machine ray using the login name demo with password mypassword. FILES
~/.netrc SEE ALSO
chmod(1), ftp(1), in.ftpd(1M) SunOS 5.10 3 Jul 1990 netrc(4)