Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to grep for a string on a FILENAME? Post 302999169 by bakunin on Wednesday 14th of June 2017 03:13:37 PM
Old 06-14-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohtashims
Inside the "test.sh" i wish to check if the filename passed "admin_usr.txt" i.e "$1" contains the string "admin" or not ... which in this case it does.
What i don't understand: if the filename has to contain "admin" and everything else is wrong, why don't you simply add this obligatory string to the parameter passed instead of checking if it is there?

like this:

Code:
filename="admin.${1}"

So if you call the script with

Code:
yourscript.sh foo

The filename would be "admin.foo", etc.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending to filename a string of text grep finds

I am wanting to automate a process that includes the step of appending to a filename a string of text that's contained inside the file. I.e. if filename A.fileA contains a string of text that reads 1234 after the phrase ABC, I want the shell script file to rename the file 1234_FileChecked_A.fileA.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: HLee1981
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep string and output filename

Hello, I have over 200 files and some of them have the string like "John price $200". I would like to grep the string. Then output the filename which found the string. I have the following script, but it ONLY output the string echo Please input list file name: read listn for file in `cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using grep and print filename

Hi, I have a question on bash. Basically I would like to print a file name using bash. I am actually trying to grep a particular character in sequential files. I have alot files such that a.txt, b.txt,c.txt...etc. If I found a certain character, I would print that particular filename. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search (grep?) filename for a string and if it contains this then...

Hi i want to write a script that will search a filename e.g. test06abc.txt for a string and if it contains this string then set a variable equal to something: something like: var1=0 search <filename> for 06 if it contains 06 then var1=1 else var1=0 end if but in unix script :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep -A 1 "string" filename

Dear all, can anyone pls provide equivalent of below code for solaris system.? grep -A 1 "string" filename the above command is working for Linux system. but i need same command for Solaris system thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve2216
8 Replies

6. Linux

Find String in FileName and move the String to new File if not found

Hi all, I have a question.. Here is my requirement..I have 500 files in a path say /a/b/c I have some numbers in a file which are comma seperated...and I wanted to check if the numbers are present in the FileName in the path /a/b/c..if the number is there in the file that is fine..but if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: us_pokiri
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep exact string from files and write to filename when string present in file

I am attempting to grep an exact string from a series of files within a directory and append that output to the filename when it is present in the file. I've been after this all day with no luck. Thanks for your help in advance :wall:. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JC_1
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff between grep .* file name and grep '.*' filename

Hi, Can anyone let me know what is difference between grep .* foo.c grep '.*' foo.c I am not able to understand what is exact difference. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SasDutta
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex for filename in grep

I want to print the filename keyword="XXTNL_AVSKRIV2ING" ftype="sql' I wan to search the keyword in all the sql files and the output shoul dbe filename:count grep -iwc "$keyword" *.$ftype | grep -v ":0$" But the output does not dispaly the filename which contains space as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Usage of grep '^$1' filename

There is a file name list_filenames.dat, this has all the list of all files I need to encrypt, I did not understand what the following syntax is doing: grep -s "^$1" list_filenames.dat, when I manually run this command it just returns all the lines, what is the usage of this ? can someone... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: okkadu
4 Replies
SYSLOGOUT(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      SYSLOGOUT(8)

NAME
syslogout - modular centralized shell logout mechanism DESCRIPTION
syslogout is a generic approach to enable centralized shell logout actions for all users of a given system in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysadmins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/syslogout shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are con- tained in the /etc/syslogout.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by the /etc/syslogout script. For shell sessions, the contents of /etc/syslogout.d/" will be sourced by every user at logout if the following lines are present in his $HOME/.bash_logout: if [ -f /etc/syslogout ]; then . /etc/syslogout fi If used for X sessions it is advisable to include the former statement into the Xreset script of the X display manager instead to prevent that closing of an terminal emulator window yields unexpected results in your running X session if your X11 terminal emulator is using a login shell. Be sure then to run it under the user-id of the X session's user. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ for illustration. Users not wanting /etc/syslogout to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosyslogout in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/syslogout.d/ can simply be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.syslogout.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/syslogout.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syslo- gout.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private scripts to be automagically executed by /etc/syslogout at logout time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ and the manual page for bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at login time check out the related package sysprofile(8) which is a very close compan- ion to syslogout. BUGS
syslogout in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
syslogout was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSLOGOUT(8)