Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Passing a varaible to sed issue Post 302998907 by mrn6430 on Friday 9th of June 2017 12:26:07 PM
Old 06-09-2017
Passing a varaible to sed issue

I am unable to make it work. I tried dbl quotes ...etc. Nothing works. I am trying to replace value in an XML file to current system date/time. Here is my code:

Code:
NTIMESTAMP=`date '+%m%d%Y%H%M%S'`
 sed -e 's|<TIMESTAMP>[0-9a-z.]\{1,\}|<TIMESTAMP>$NTIMESTAMP|g' $QLOG

Input data sample:
 <MSGTYPE>QI</MSGTYPE><TIMESTAMP>06062017120000</TIMESTAMP>

Output with my code "Not working":
 <MSGTYPE>QI</MSGTYPE><TIMESTAMP>$NTIMESTAMP</TIMESTAMP>

What am I doing wrong? I tried using double quotes, when I do it blanks out the timestamp !

Please help. Thanks

---------- Post updated at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:16 AM ----------

I think I found the solution. Using this works perfectly:

Code:
eval "$(echo "sed -e 's|<TIMESTAMP>[0-9a-z.]\{1,\}|<TIMESTAMP>$NTIMESTAMP|g' $QLOG")"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables to sed

Hi folks, I'm looking for a solution to pass variables to a sed-command. I'm reading a lot of threats and also the q&a "How can I use a variable in sed?". None of these commands works. I'm using AIX 5.2. I want to do the following: NUMBER=` echo 38341` | sed -n '/$NUMBER/p' an obtained... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jfisch
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable passing to sed

I m trying to pass variable to sed. export var=140920060731 sed -e '/$var/d' file but no luch so far..? any body has any idea abt it Is there any way to pass variable to SED? Thanks , Manish (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manish Jha
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

append space to a varaible using sed

Hi, I would like to append 100 blank spaces to a variable using sed. eg: var1=abcdef Could anyone advice??? thanks, Sumith (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam99
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables to sed

Hi Folks, How can I make the following to work from a korn shell? old="OLDSTRING" new="NEWSTRING" file="myfile.txt" sed -n 's/$old/$new/gp' $file Thanks in advance rogers42 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogers42
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Variable in sed

Dear All, I want to print a file. First I tried with this sed '2q;d' filename it worked. But when i put following it is not working x=2; sed '$xq;d' filename Would any one suggest how to pass the variable? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saifurshaon
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ISSUE on SFTP fucntion ,parameter passing!

Hi Everyone!! Hey i created a SFTP function to FTP the file from unix to Linux. I need to FTP the 48 files from unix to linux. IP=$1 Userid=$2 Prikeypath=$3 SrcPath=$4 DstPath=$5 Files=$6 BATCHFILE=sftp.batch.$$ LOGFILE=sftp.log.$$ #Compose batch file & pass as argument to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobprabhu
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue in passing a parameter value from one script to another

Hi Experts, I am passing current month & day (i.e. 'Jul 21') from script aaa.ksh to zzz.ksh. The value 'Mon DD' is being used in zzz.ksh. Problem: If I pass 'Mon DD' value manually to zzz.ksh i.e. /test/zzz.ksh 'Jul 21' it works fine. However, if I pass value from aaa.ksh, it does... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipeshvshah
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue in passing passwd to login into a sudo account

Hi Gurus, I have small issue... I used to pass the passwd for sudo commands like below, gzcat ~/passwd.gz | sudo su - <villin> >> eof ------ ----- ------ eof And it was able to login into "villin" sudo account successfully. But now, I'm using the same in another script for the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.iv85
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with passing variable to Grep in a shell script

Hi, I'm trying to check if methods specified in a class have been added to the corrosponding interface. My code below is giving me the following errors: grep: function: No such file or directory grep: import($zipfile): No such file or directory grep: function: No such file or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: racshot65
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing value of a variable in sed

Hi, I want to pass value of a variable track_line which is the line number to sed. Sed should print the lines starting from track_line till the last line of the file. I tried the below command but it is not working. sed -n '${track_line},$p' latest_log_file I tried using the below too but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nitinupadhyaya8
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)