Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SIGTERM failing in AIX
Operating Systems AIX SIGTERM failing in AIX Post 302998862 by Don Cragun on Thursday 8th of June 2017 06:45:59 PM
Old 06-08-2017
I presume that:
  1. the script that you showed us that you're trying to kill is not the actual code that you're trying to kill,
  2. that you are not the author of the code you're trying to kill (since you didn't know the trap was there), and
  3. that you didn't consult with the author of that script before trying to write code to kill it
One obvious reason why someone would add a trap command to ignore signals to a script that is expected to run for a while (i.e., more than a 1 instruction cycle) would be to keep scripts like yours from randomly killing them. Trying to ignore SIGSTOP and SIGKILL produces undefined results, but it is certainly a reasonable first attempt to keep a script running while the author of that script tracks down why their script is being terminated for no obvious reason.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

signals - SIGTERM

Hi all, I need some urgent help. we are using Dynix/ptx V4.5 on i386, have several processes and instances are running on the box round the clock.we increased the processes recently. We have coded to handle the signals in our programs. Recently, we noticed most of our processes are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reddyb
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

make fuser send SIGTERM?

Hello, Nice forum BTW... anyway on to my question. I am trying to write a korn shell script that will shut down a java VM. The first challenge was how to figure out which java VM to kill, as there can be other java processes running at the same time. Then I discovered fuser. It says it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adamides
4 Replies

3. Programming

How to implement SIGKILL and SIGTERM and print a message?

Hello, I am running a webserver that uses sockets, forks, and children. The parent process listens for connections and the child processes the information. I am trying to figure out why the code I have below SIGTERM, and SIGKILL never fire. I was messing around with the printfs and doesnt... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: norelco55
11 Replies

4. Programming

the parent receive SIGTERM from its child (httpd) ?

the parent is a process manager in our design, and httpd service is one of its child processes, which is started in foreground mode (with "-D FOREGROUND" options) according to our requirements. when httpd service is started, one main httpd process and eight sub httpd processes can be found by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to detect SIGTERM,SIGKILL signal in UNIX

Dear All We have JBOSS server running on Linux we need to track Graceful Shutdown(SIGTERM) and Forceful Shutdown(SIGKILL) timestamp and write it into one file, I am new to UNIX Signal processing if is it possible how to detect it? We generally do $kill PID For Graceful... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
5 Replies

6. Programming

Reliable management of signal SIGPIPE and SIGTERM

I' m note very expert in the reliable manage of signal... but in my server I must manage SIGPIPE for the socket and SIGTERM... I've wrote this but there is something wrong... Can someone explain me with some example the reliable management of signal?? This is what I've wrote in the server ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: italian_boy
2 Replies

7. AIX

FIREFOX Failing in AIX

Hi Guys, I tried running the firefox in AIX 6.1 and got the below error.. -bash-3.00# firefox Could not load program /usr/mozilla/firefox/firefox-bin: Could not load module /usr/mozilla/firefox/libxul.so. Dependent module /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.a(libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0) could not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkeng808
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Current instance of Shell ignoring SIGTERM

Hello. Could anyone tell me how can I configure a instance of Shell to ignore the SIGTERM signal? I would really appreciate. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: razolo13
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh child process not ignoring SIGTERM

My ksh version is ksh93- =>rpm -qa | grep ksh ksh-20100621-3.fc13.i686 I have a simple script which is as below - #cat test_sigterm.sh - #!/bin/ksh trap 'echo "removing"' QUIT while read line do sleep 20 done I am Executing the script From Terminal 1 - 1. The ksh is started... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpoornar
3 Replies

10. AIX

Failing to add new NetApp disk AIX 7.1 - but no error

Hello, AIX 7.1 - several NetApp disks already running. Trying to install a new one. Storage folks provision it. I run cfgmgr - nothing. no new disks show up in "lsdev", "sanlun lun show" shows no new device. No errors, just nothing. Storage guys disconnect it and attaches to another aix server -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sid
5 Replies
kill.d(1m)							   USER COMMANDS							kill.d(1m)

NAME
kill.d - snoop process signals as they occur. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
kill.d DESCRIPTION
kill.d is a simple DTrace program to print details of process signals as they are sent, such as the PID source and destination, signal num- ber and result. This program can be used to determine which process is sending signals to which other process. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. EXAMPLES
Default output, print process signals as they are sent. # kill.d FIELDS
FROM source PID COMMAND source command name TO destination PID SIG destination signal ("9" for a kill -9) RESULT result of signal (-1 is for failure) DOCUMENTATION
See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
kill.d will run forever until Ctrl-C is hit. AUTHOR
Brendan Gregg [Sydney, Australia] SEE ALSO
dtrace(1M), truss(1) version 0.90 May 14, 2005 kill.d(1m)