Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read function is going in infinite in another script having while loop Post 302998794 by MadeInGermany on Wednesday 7th of June 2017 12:06:26 PM
Old 06-07-2017
I guess you want one to read from the terminal and the other from the file.
The redirection of the outer while loop will make the inner loop also read from the file.
You can use another file descriptor to distinguish between the two input streams.
Code:
_prompt () {
while true
do
read -p"$1" var
[[ $var == 'yes' ]] && break
done
}

while read WfName <&3 
do
#some stuff
                _prompt "Please check if parameter file is updated ? "
#some stuff
done 3<"$dir"/ListOfWf

When the loop starts it will open the file and associate with file descriptor 3 (not 1 as a simple < does).
And you tell the read to read from that descriptor.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script in INFINITE LOOP

Hi All, I have a requirement as below. I supposed to get a file from Source system once in a month. But we dont know when the source system will send the file. My script has to wait for that file in LOOP once it gets the file then it has to FTP the file. I thought of scheduling the job... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raamc
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to run infinite loop

Hi all, I have a script which triggers batch admin manager and gets the top 10 jobs and their status info. the output of this script is the list of all these jobs. I want to run this in infinite loop which will show top 100 jobs' status. the script is as follows #!/bin/sh exec &> capture1.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: digitalrg
1 Replies

3. Programming

__read_nocancel Function Causes Infinite Loop

Does anyone know what __read_nocancel does and why it would go into an infinite loop? What I have gathered in my searches is that it pertains to server code. Yet, I'm not running this application in server mode. NOTE: There are server functions in the shared object, but the specific code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcus121
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Infinite while loop

what is the difference between while:,while true and while false? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script with infinite loop stops after sometime

Hi I am working on a server that is set up and maintained by a third party. It seems whenever I run bash scripts in the background (with a &) with while loops in them they seem to me killed in around 2.5 hours. ( I am running them as a normal user with no special privileges ) . Is there a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkabali
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Infinite while loop script shows more than one process

Hi, I have a script which triggers an infinite loop. #!bin/bash trig=`ls /home/trig.tch |wc -l` function callj { some commands... } while do callj & done The number of process after doing a ps -ef |grep Mon.sh returns processes even after the script is killed by deleting the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetan.c
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select command going to infinite loop after running the script

cd /opt/et/WAS/apps/8.0 find . -name "HostIntegration.properties" -o -name "HostSocket.properties" -o -name "environment.properties" 2> /dev/null | awk -F '' '{print $4}'|awk '!x++' | cat>/home/cbadmin/file1.txt cd /home/cbadmin/ PS3='Please enter a number from list of applications==>:' select... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhas85
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help - Infinite Loop: Error in trap function

Hi, I was working on implementing error handling in my bash scripts, and decided to use trap to send myself an email incase of any errors. But it seems that somethings has gone wrong, and I am continuously getting same emails for an old error repeatedly (even though I have stopped/killed all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cool.aquarian
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling a script from a shell that needs to cancel out of infinite loop

I am writing a shell script that calls this oracle utility to get some information about the DB that I need for the script https://docs.oracle.com/cd/B16240_01/doc/em.102/e15294/options.htm This is the command that I am running: $ORACLE_HOME/OPatch/opatch lsinventory -details | grep -i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guessingo
1 Replies

10. Programming

Nmap shell script goes in infinite loop

My script’s output goes in infinite loop Below is my script: Nmap() { while read -r line do name="$line" echo "$name" count=$line nmap -oG output.txt -T4 -f -iL iplist.txt $line1 done < iplist.txt } Nmap ................................................................. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sk151993
2 Replies
SCRIPT(1)                                                          User Commands                                                         SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script - make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [options] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything displayed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves the dialogue in this file. If no filename is given, the dialogue is saved in the file type- script. OPTIONS
-a, --append Append the output to file or to typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c, --command command Run the command rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e, --return Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f, --flush Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: one person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo', and another can supervise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. --force Allow the default output destination, i.e. the typescript file, to be a hard or symbolic link. The command will follow a symbolic link. -q, --quiet Be quiet (do not write start and done messages to standard output). -t[file], --timing[=file] Output timing data to standard error, or to file when given. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. NOTES
The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D for the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. It is not recommended to run script in non-interactive shells. The inner shell of script is always interactive, and this could lead to unexpected results. If you use script in the shell initialization file, you have to avoid entering an infinite loop. You can use for example the .profile file, which is read by login shells only: if test -t 0 ; then script exit fi You should also avoid use of script in command pipes, as script can read more input than you would expect. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1) HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. script is primarily designed for interactive terminal sessions. When stdin is not a terminal (for example: echo foo | script), then the session can hang, because the interactive shell within the script session misses EOF and script has no clue when to close the session. See the NOTES section for more information. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux June 2014 SCRIPT(1)