Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read function is going in infinite in another script having while loop Post 302998749 by looney on Tuesday 6th of June 2017 05:04:26 PM
Old 06-06-2017
Hello Ravinder , none of those working , if i use exit whole script is exiting and if i use continue or break it is going in infinite.

Code:
_prompt () {
while true 
do
echo "$1"
read var
[[ "$var" == 'yes' ]] && continue
done }

#_prompt "Is parameter file is updated?"

while true
do
echo "enter in while loop"
_prompt "entered inside while loop"
done < file

echo "outside while loop"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script in INFINITE LOOP

Hi All, I have a requirement as below. I supposed to get a file from Source system once in a month. But we dont know when the source system will send the file. My script has to wait for that file in LOOP once it gets the file then it has to FTP the file. I thought of scheduling the job... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raamc
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to run infinite loop

Hi all, I have a script which triggers batch admin manager and gets the top 10 jobs and their status info. the output of this script is the list of all these jobs. I want to run this in infinite loop which will show top 100 jobs' status. the script is as follows #!/bin/sh exec &> capture1.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: digitalrg
1 Replies

3. Programming

__read_nocancel Function Causes Infinite Loop

Does anyone know what __read_nocancel does and why it would go into an infinite loop? What I have gathered in my searches is that it pertains to server code. Yet, I'm not running this application in server mode. NOTE: There are server functions in the shared object, but the specific code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcus121
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Infinite while loop

what is the difference between while:,while true and while false? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script with infinite loop stops after sometime

Hi I am working on a server that is set up and maintained by a third party. It seems whenever I run bash scripts in the background (with a &) with while loops in them they seem to me killed in around 2.5 hours. ( I am running them as a normal user with no special privileges ) . Is there a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkabali
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Infinite while loop script shows more than one process

Hi, I have a script which triggers an infinite loop. #!bin/bash trig=`ls /home/trig.tch |wc -l` function callj { some commands... } while do callj & done The number of process after doing a ps -ef |grep Mon.sh returns processes even after the script is killed by deleting the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetan.c
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select command going to infinite loop after running the script

cd /opt/et/WAS/apps/8.0 find . -name "HostIntegration.properties" -o -name "HostSocket.properties" -o -name "environment.properties" 2> /dev/null | awk -F '' '{print $4}'|awk '!x++' | cat>/home/cbadmin/file1.txt cd /home/cbadmin/ PS3='Please enter a number from list of applications==>:' select... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhas85
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help - Infinite Loop: Error in trap function

Hi, I was working on implementing error handling in my bash scripts, and decided to use trap to send myself an email incase of any errors. But it seems that somethings has gone wrong, and I am continuously getting same emails for an old error repeatedly (even though I have stopped/killed all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cool.aquarian
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling a script from a shell that needs to cancel out of infinite loop

I am writing a shell script that calls this oracle utility to get some information about the DB that I need for the script https://docs.oracle.com/cd/B16240_01/doc/em.102/e15294/options.htm This is the command that I am running: $ORACLE_HOME/OPatch/opatch lsinventory -details | grep -i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guessingo
1 Replies

10. Programming

Nmap shell script goes in infinite loop

My script’s output goes in infinite loop Below is my script: Nmap() { while read -r line do name="$line" echo "$name" count=$line nmap -oG output.txt -T4 -f -iL iplist.txt $line1 done < iplist.txt } Nmap ................................................................. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sk151993
2 Replies
CHECKBASHISMS(1)					      General Commands Manual						  CHECKBASHISMS(1)

NAME
checkbashisms - check for bashisms in /bin/sh scripts SYNOPSIS
checkbashisms script ... checkbashisms --help|--version DESCRIPTION
checkbashisms, based on one of the checks from the lintian system, performs basic checks on /bin/sh shell scripts for the possible presence of bashisms. It takes the names of the shell scripts on the command line, and outputs warnings if possible bashisms are detected. Note that the definition of a bashism in this context roughly equates to "a shell feature that is not required to be supported by POSIX"; this means that some issues flagged may be permitted under optional sections of POSIX, such as XSI or User Portability. In cases where POSIX and Debian Policy disagree, checkbashisms by default allows extensions permitted by Policy but may also provide options for stricter checking. OPTIONS
--help, -h Show a summary of options. --newline, -n Check for "echo -n" usage (non POSIX but required by Debian Policy 10.4.) --posix, -p Check for issues which are non POSIX but required to be supported by Debian Policy 10.4 (implies -n). --force, -f Force each script to be checked, even if it would normally not be (for instance, it has a bash or non POSIX shell shebang or appears to be a shell wrapper). --extra, -x Highlight lines which, whilst they do not contain bashisms, may be useful in determining whether a particular issue is a false posi- tive which may be ignored. For example, the use of "$BASH_ENV" may be preceded by checking whether "$BASH" is set. --version, -v Show version and copyright information. EXIT VALUES
The exit value will be 0 if no possible bashisms or other problems were detected. Otherwise it will be the sum of the following error val- ues: 1 A possible bashism was detected. 2 A file was skipped for some reason, for example, because it was unreadable or not found. The warning message will give details. SEE ALSO
lintian(1). AUTHOR
checkbashisms was originally written as a shell script by Yann Dirson <dirson@debian.org> and rewritten in Perl with many more features by Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities CHECKBASHISMS(1)