Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem in using cut command with pipe as a delimiter while using in a script Post 302998582 by Don Cragun on Sunday 4th of June 2017 12:41:20 PM
Old 06-04-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhijeet Anand
Hi Cragun,

First of all thankyou for your time ! Here i didn't understand what you told that 7 vertical bars. Its like suppose in my text file , i have data that looks like:

... ... ...

So, plz reply with any command that can help me get the desired value.

Thanks

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Seriously: Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules!
The data that you have in your text file and the commands you are using to extract data from that text file do not seem well suited to what you are trying to do. Please create a file named test.txt that contains the following text:
Code:
f1|f2|f3|f4|f5|f6|f7
field 1|field 2|field 3|field 4|field 5|field 6|field 7
3: It was really a good fun in doing so.
4: Really good.| (Here i am using pipe)

After creating that file, what output do you get when you run the command:
Code:
cut -d '|' -f2 test.txt

What output do you get when you run the command:
Code:
cut -d '|' -s -f2 test.txt

What output do you get when you run the command:
Code:
cut -d '|' -f2,4-6 test.txt

After running these commands do you understand what I meant about the 6 vertical bars (AKA pipe symbols)? Do you see that the cut commands in your script are extracting data from 7 pipe symbol delimited fields from lines in the input you feed into it, but only two of those lines contain any pipe symbols?

Have you read the manual page for cut on your system? If not enter the command:
Code:
man cut

and look at how it describes the -d, -f, and -soptions. I know that you aren't using the -s option in your code, but (with the possible exception of when you are extracting field 1 data) you might want to consider it. Do you understand now what I meant when I said "you are trying to extract data from seven vertical bar separated fields in your input file"?

Last edited by Don Cragun; 06-04-2017 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: Fix typo: s/7/6/

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic delimiter in cut command

hello.. my prob is as follows: i have to read from a file which may have different formats depending upon the delimiter used in the data of the file.now i need that the user input the delimiter.the input delimiter is stored in a variable and is used on cut command to retrieve necessary... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tej.buch
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can I use double character delimiter in the cut command

Hi All, Can the cut command have double character delimiter? If yes, how can we use it. if my data file contains : apple || mango || grapes i used cut -f1 -d"||" filename but got an error. Plz help.... Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AshishK
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Encoding Problem while using "|" (PIPE) as delimiter from Mainframe to Unix

We are facing a problem with PIPE (|) as a delimiter in one of our FTP flat files. We are constructing a Flat file in IBM-AIX and this contains various strings delimted by PIPE Symbol and then FTPing this to a Mainframe System The Mainframe program simply recieves this and FTPs the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seshendra
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replacing space with pipe(delimiter)

Hello All, I have a file with thousands of records: eg: |000222|123456987|||||||AARONSON| JOHN P|||PRIMARY |P |000111|567894521|||||||ATHENS| WILLIAM k|||AAAA|L Expected: |000222|123456987|||||||AARONSON| JOHN |P|||PRIMARY |P |000111|567894521|||||||ATHENS| WILLIAM |k|||AAAA|L I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: OSD
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem Using Cut With A Space Delimiter

I am trying to extract 'postmaster' from the following string: PenaltyError:=554 5.7.1 Error, send your mail to postmaster@LOCALDOMAIN using the following command: cat /usr/share/assp/assp.cfg | grep ^PenaltyError:= | cut -d '@' -f1 | cut -f8 but it returns: PenaltyError:=554 5.7.1 Error,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleanden
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using cut command in shell script

I'm new to shell programming, and am having a problem in a (Korn) shell program, which boils down to this: The program reads a record from an input file and then uses a series of "cut" commands to break the record into parts and assign the parts to variables. There are no delimiters in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joroca
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

CUT command delimiter in reverse

Hi, I've a situation where, a=xxx.yyy.zzz.txt EXTN=`echo $a | cut -d . -f2` Using the above code it delimites and will return "yyy.zzz.txt" to EXTN. But i need to get only the extension "txt". so as per the above code it delimits in the first "." itself. Can anyone help how to do... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skcvasanth
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set output delimiter as tab in cut command

I can not make it work, it prints \t rather than introduce tabs. cut -d "," -f 4,8 Samples.csv --output-delimiter="\t" | sort > out Since I am running this command within a shell script, I tried manually inserting tab in this command, still does not work. I am using bash shell Suggestions... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: analyst
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut by delimiter, and delimiter can be anything except numbers?

Hi all, I have a number of strings like below: //mnt/autocor/43°13'(33")W/ and i'm trying to get the numbers in this string, for example 431333 please help thanks ahead (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnydanniel
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut command with dynamic passing of delimiter and position values

Hi All, We have a requirement of picking nth position value by using cut command. value would be delimited by any symbols. We have to pass delimited value and postition to get the value in a string. ex. echo "A,B,C,D,E" |cut -d "," -f3 echo "A|B|C|D|E"|cut -d "|" -f2 Kindly frame the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KK230689
5 Replies