Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Getting started with fixing bugs for Linux Post 302998537 by sreyan32 on Saturday 3rd of June 2017 05:59:29 AM
Old 06-03-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Not a trick question. You won't be able to debug this without extensive internal knowledge of C/C++, PAM, and possibly X and Gnome.
I agree.
But can the debugging be done inside a VM ? Also are there debuggers that you can use ? I mean how would you attach a debugger to an OS module. Not necessarily a kernel module, but lets say the File Manager GUI.

I mean how do I go about this ? Any tutorials or blogs or any source that could give me some pointers on how to start ?

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is it a bugs for find command? :(

Hi! When i am trying to use find command to seacrh files in current directory, it help me to search for it sub-directory also. Is there anyway to avoid it? I am using unix operating system. My friend told me that only linux did handle this, is it true? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AkumaTay
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Just started linux any advice??

well i just got into this and really dont know anything so if anyone has any reccomendations like books/sites/forums/or just general advice or if anyone wants to help me get started i would really appreciate it thank you very much (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Necrons
6 Replies

3. Solaris

Bugs with clock()

Hi there!!! Need your help in solving some tricky problems. Since clock() as such is buggy on SUN OS 5 we have started using gettimeofday() in our RTOS applications based on Solaris 9. The problems we actually encountered previously were - the applications kind of freeze/hang eternally on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smanu
1 Replies

4. Linux

fixing with sed

I am trying to replace the value of $f3 but its not working . I don't know what I am missing here . cat dim_copy.20080516.sql | grep -i "create view" | grep -v OPSDM002 | while read f1 f2 f3 f4 f5 f6 f7 f8 f9 do echo " $f3 " sed -e... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: capri_drm
13 Replies

5. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bugs in my new Ubuntu installation

I recently bought a new HP Spectre x360 laptop and installed Linux (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64 bit) for the first time. I am seeing various bugs. I don't know if the problems are due to: (a) Hardware problems with the new laptop. (b) Software issues, i.e. Ubuntu not working with the other... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: twelth_hour
7 Replies

6. Red Hat

What are Linux configuration changes required after a cloned VM Server is started?

Dear Expert Users, VMware Admin Tool is used to create a "clone" of an existing VM RHEL Server. Now, I have a Project where a cloned VM Server image is started for run . Please share what are all configuration changes required to ensure this runs fine ? I will be grateful for quick and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: schandrakar1
2 Replies
pam_ldap(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       pam_ldap(8)

NAME
pam_ldap - PAM module for LDAP-based authentication SYNOPSIS
pam_ldap.so [...] DESCRIPTION
This is a PAM module that uses an LDAP server to verify user access rights and credentials. OPTIONS
use_first_pass Specifies that the PAM module should use the first password provided in the authentication stack and not prompt the user for a pass- word. try_first_pass Specifies that the PAM module should use the first password provided in the authentication stack and if that fails prompt the user for a password. nullok Specifying this option allows users to log in with a blank password. Normally logins without a password are denied. ignore_unknown_user Specifies that the PAM module should return PAM_IGNORE for users that are not present in the LDAP directory. This causes the PAM framework to ignore this module. ignore_authinfo_unavail Specifies that the PAM module should return PAM_IGNORE if it cannot contact the LDAP server. This causes the PAM framework to ig- nore this module. no_warn Specifies that warning messages should not be propagated to the PAM application. use_authtok This causes the PAM module to use the earlier provided password when changing the password. The module will not prompt the user for a new password (it is analogous to use_first_pass). debug This option causes the PAM module to log debugging information to syslog(3). minimum_uid=UID This option causes the PAM module to ignore the user if the user id is lower than the specified value. This can be used to bypass LDAP checks for system users (e.g. by setting it to 1000). MODULE SERVICES PROVIDED
All services are provided by this module but currently sessions changes are not implemented in the nslcd daemon. FILES
/etc/pam.conf the main PAM configuration file /etc/nslcd.conf The configuration file for the nslcd daemon (see nslcd.conf(5)) SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), nslcd(8), nslcd.conf(5) AUTHOR
This manual was written by Arthur de Jong <arthur@arthurdejong.org>. Version 0.8.10 Jun 2012 pam_ldap(8)