Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Getting started with fixing bugs for Linux Post 302998470 by sreyan32 on Friday 2nd of June 2017 09:55:26 AM
Old 06-02-2017
Bug Getting started with fixing bugs for Linux

Okay I want to try my luck at fixing bugs for the Fedora OS, but I guess this question deals with any Linux distro or any open source OS for that matter.

I want to know how I can start fixing bugs on the OS level. For example the particular bug that I want to target is this logout bug

I mean how do I start with debugging something like this. These may involve OS modules that are already running in the OS, I can get the source, but how do I deploy and test it ?

MOST IMPORTANTLY-:
Can it be done in a VM like VirtualBox or KVM ?
Maybe I can test my "patched" OS there ?

Not sure about how approach this problem. Any of you who does Linux OS bug fixing could really help me out.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is it a bugs for find command? :(

Hi! When i am trying to use find command to seacrh files in current directory, it help me to search for it sub-directory also. Is there anyway to avoid it? I am using unix operating system. My friend told me that only linux did handle this, is it true? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AkumaTay
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Just started linux any advice??

well i just got into this and really dont know anything so if anyone has any reccomendations like books/sites/forums/or just general advice or if anyone wants to help me get started i would really appreciate it thank you very much (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Necrons
6 Replies

3. Solaris

Bugs with clock()

Hi there!!! Need your help in solving some tricky problems. Since clock() as such is buggy on SUN OS 5 we have started using gettimeofday() in our RTOS applications based on Solaris 9. The problems we actually encountered previously were - the applications kind of freeze/hang eternally on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smanu
1 Replies

4. Linux

fixing with sed

I am trying to replace the value of $f3 but its not working . I don't know what I am missing here . cat dim_copy.20080516.sql | grep -i "create view" | grep -v OPSDM002 | while read f1 f2 f3 f4 f5 f6 f7 f8 f9 do echo " $f3 " sed -e... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: capri_drm
13 Replies

5. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bugs in my new Ubuntu installation

I recently bought a new HP Spectre x360 laptop and installed Linux (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64 bit) for the first time. I am seeing various bugs. I don't know if the problems are due to: (a) Hardware problems with the new laptop. (b) Software issues, i.e. Ubuntu not working with the other... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: twelth_hour
7 Replies

6. Red Hat

What are Linux configuration changes required after a cloned VM Server is started?

Dear Expert Users, VMware Admin Tool is used to create a "clone" of an existing VM RHEL Server. Now, I have a Project where a cloned VM Server image is started for run . Please share what are all configuration changes required to ensure this runs fine ? I will be grateful for quick and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: schandrakar1
2 Replies
PP(1)								NSS Security Tools							     PP(1)

NAME
pp - Prints certificates, keys, crls, and pkcs7 files SYNOPSIS
pp -t type [-a] [-i input] [-o output] STATUS
This documentation is still work in progress. Please contribute to the initial review in Mozilla NSS bug 836477[1] DESCRIPTION
pp pretty-prints private and public key, certificate, certificate-request, pkcs7 or crl files OPTIONS
-t type specify the input, one of {private-key | public-key | certificate | certificate-request | pkcs7 | crl} -a Input is in ascii encoded form (RFC1113) -i inputfile Define an input file to use (default is stdin) -u outputfile Define an output file to use (default is stdout) ADDITIONAL RESOURCES
NSS is maintained in conjunction with PKI and security-related projects through Mozilla and Fedora. The most closely-related project is Dogtag PKI, with a project wiki at PKI Wiki[2]. For information specifically about NSS, the NSS project wiki is located at Mozilla NSS site[3]. The NSS site relates directly to NSS code changes and releases. Mailing lists: pki-devel@redhat.com and pki-users@redhat.com IRC: Freenode at #dogtag-pki AUTHORS
The NSS tools were written and maintained by developers with Netscape, Red Hat, Sun, Oracle, Mozilla, and Google. Authors: Elio Maldonado <emaldona@redhat.com>, Deon Lackey <dlackey@redhat.com>. LICENSE
Licensed under the Mozilla Public License, v. 2.0. If a copy of the MPL was not distributed with this file, You can obtain one at http://mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/. NOTES
1. Mozilla NSS bug 836477 https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=836477 2. PKI Wiki http://pki.fedoraproject.org/wiki/ 3. Mozilla NSS site http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/pki/nss/ nss-tools 12 November 2013 PP(1)