Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: System-wide search
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting System-wide search Post 302998341 by wbport on Tuesday 30th of May 2017 02:02:44 PM
Old 05-30-2017
System-wide search

When looking for wherever a program or a filename appears in the system, a short scrip is "findinner" which another script calls with a long parameter list consisting of path names ending with ".sh" or ".menu". "findinner" looks like this:
Code:
# If not .savenn file, show name and result of grep.
#
for i in "$@"
do
  echo $i |grep -q 'save[01][0-9]'
  if [ $? -ne 0 ]
  then
    echo "<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< $i >>>>>>>>>>>"
    grep HardCodedSearchItem $i
  fi
done

Is there a way to not have to modify "findinner" every time it is used? I would prefer to leave the scripts alone and just provide the search term as a parameter.

Is there any way to do this? TIA.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

links working system wide

I have created symbolic links to several frequently used commands, for example: "lt" is a link to "ls -ltrgo|tail". What can I do to make these links available system-wide, or at least in the directories my coworkers are in most of the time? I have copied the link to several directories, and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpprial
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

System wide CDE setup

Does anyone know how to make system wide changes to the CDE's front panel icons? I dont know if it matters but im running Solaris 9. THanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meyersp
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FIND function - system wide

Hi, I have a task to search for a file called 'Xstartup' in the whole system because there might be different versions of it which overrite eachother. Can anyone suggest a smart command to run this search ? The machine needs to scan every single folder beginning from root. Please help, I am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DGoubine
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

system wide password change

Hello, I am new to shell scripting and I was trying to write a script that would force a system wide password change except for admins. I am having some trouble and any help that someone could give me would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to do it by using the UID as the marker for anyone... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kilemark
6 Replies

5. HP-UX

System wide user thread limit. does that exists :?

Hi all, Is there any system wide limit on number of user threads. I only find nkthread as a tunable parameter,apart from the `per process limit`. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Krsh
1 Replies

6. Linux

System wide find and sort

Hi, I need to look for a config file (ldap.conf) and pick the latest modified file. `locate` tells me there are many ldap.conf's, some in /etc, /usr, /home, etc. Is there some way I can sort them by last modified time via bash? I was thinking maybe I could pipe the output of `locate` to `ls... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Housni
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Declaring LD_PRELOAD system wide for dynamic loading

Dear Fellows; As being new to linux, i have tried to synamically load a custom library which overrides some system calls like conncet(), socket() etc.... for custom purposes. It works well, if declaring the environment path LD_PRELOAD and execution of the application to be override... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mzeeshan
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[GPG] System-wide public key?

We need to have many of our users all send encrypted files to a single FTP server. The problem, if I understand how encryption/decryption works (which I don't), is that each user would normally have their own private and public key. The other end needs to be able to decrypt the file(s) using a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Totengraber
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

Changing system-wide for umask

Hi everybody, How can I change the default UMASK for non root users, e.g. I want the umask for every new created user will be 0044. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo_ultra_leo
6 Replies

10. Programming

How to make use others' C library installed not for the system-wide (Ubuntu/Linux)?

I have downloaded and installed a library called htslib for specific bioinformatic use but not for the system (I'm using Ubuntu 18.04). Only parts of the library is needed for my exercise to parse data in a type called VCF format (basically tab-delimited file but contains many information in... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
14 Replies
lugadmin(1M)															      lugadmin(1M)

NAME
lugadmin - long user and group name enablement and display SYNOPSIS
num] DESCRIPTION
The command enables the support of long user and group names on the system, sets the default display width for long user and group names, and displays the current status of the system. If no options are specified, the option is assumed. Options The following options are supported: Enable long user and group name support on the system. See the subsection below for details. This option requires superuser privileges. Set num as the default display width for long user and group names. num can be in the range to The option can be only be specified with the option or when long names have been previously enabled. See the subsection below for details. This option requires superuser privileges. Display the current status of the system. The command displays one of: The system is restricted to short (8-byte) user and group names. The system is enabled for long (255-byte) user and group name support. A name string can be up to 255 bytes plus a trailing NULL byte. Enabling Long User and Group Names To enable long user and group names, 1. Stop the daemon. 2. Run the command with the option. 3. The command requests confirmation before enabling the system. If you respond with or the command proceeds; otherwise, it aborts. 4. The command creates the file. 5. If the option is not specified, num defaults to The specified or default value of num is written in Setting the User and Group Name Display Width The long user and group name default display width is set when is executed with the option. It can be changed at any time by executing with the option. If is not specified with the option, the value of num defaults to Application Usage Use one of these: o in program code; see sysconf(2) and the section. o in program code; see ug_display_width(3C). o in shell scripts; see getconf(1) and the section. o in shell scripts and all return either (short names) or (long names). See ug_display_width(3C) for its return values. Use one of the following procedures: o In program code, call o In a shell script, 1. Run or to see if long names are enabled. If not enabled, set width to 2. Else, if enabled, check for the environment variable. If the variable is set to a value between set width to the value. Oth- erwise set width to 3. Else, if not set, set width to the value in the file. Set width to if the value is out of range, not an integer, or improperly formatted. The current display width is used by all system and conforming applications to display formatted output. See section of ug_dis- play_width(3C) for usage of current display width. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables If it is set and long names are enabled, it overrides the width specified in the file for all system and conforming applications that write formatted output. RETURN VALUE
exits with one of the following values: Successful completion Failure DIAGNOSTICS
You may have attempted to use the option for a second time. You tried to use the option before using the option. A call to the function failed. WARNINGS
The file is the switch that marks a long name system. If it is missing, short names are assumed and the variable is ignored. While many programs are unaffected by long names in a short name environment, some may behave abnormally and some may abort. It is recommended that you do not attempt to restore the short name environment once long names have been enabled. Do not use the system constant with the command or the function to test for name length; it is not changed when long names are enabled. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. FILES
If this file is present, the system is enabled for long user and group names; otherwise, it is not. This file contains the default display width, as set with the option. SEE ALSO
getconf(1), sysconf(2), ug_display_width(3C) lugadmin(1M)