Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can't set parameter to lynx properly Post 302998087 by migurus on Wednesday 24th of May 2017 11:47:32 PM
Old 05-25-2017
Can't set parameter to lynx properly

My intention is to go through list of addresses and call google geocode api for each of them. I am using lynx for this, but somehow I can't supply the parameters to it in a proper way.

To show that my parameters are OK I just hardcoded one address in my script and put it in my input file, and the hardcoded call runs just fine:

Code:
#!/bin/ksh
rqst1='http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/geocode/xml?&address='
rqst2=' CA, USA&sensor=false'
INPF=${1:-addr_list}
while read addr; do
set -x
        lynx -dump "'""$rqst1""$addr""$rqst2""'"
        lynx -dump 'http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/geocode/xml?&address=10925 RAILROAD ST&sensor=false'
done < $INPF

$ cat addr_list
 10925 RAILROAD ST

I set -x to show how my parameters look and I don't see any fault on my side, yet lynx is not happy, here is the results:
Code:
 + lynx -dump 'http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/geocode/xml?&address=10925 RAILROAD ST CA, USA&sensor=false'
 Alert!: Unsupported URL scheme!
 lynx: Start file could not be found or is not text/html or text/plain
      Exiting...
+ lynx -dump http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/...&address=10925 RAILROAD ST&sensor=false
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<GeocodeResponse>
 <status>OK</status>
 <result>
 ... etc...

Please point me into right direction here.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DEBUG_PROG and opts: parameter not set

I am using a Sun Ultra 30 with 250MG of RAM and 9GIG of hard drive. I connect to the machine via Exceed 6 and have the Oracle8i for Solaris in the cdrom drive. I have read and complied with Oracle's instruction in preparation to installing Oracle. Since I don't have enough space to cp the content... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alexxx14
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: dbfFILe: parameter not set

Having the following message returned: FIND REDLOG FILES..... ksh: dbfFILe: parameter not set When I attempt to perform the script below....#!/bin/ksh . $HOME/.profile # Initial Script Prerequisites ORACLE_SID=MDirect ; export ORACLE_SID REDOLOGDIR=$ARCLOGDEST ; export REDOLOGDIR... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do I make dynamic parameter names? Or get the value of a parameter evaluated twi

Say I write something like the following: var1=1 var2=2 for int in 1 2 do echo "\$var$int" done I want the output to be: 1 2 Instead I get something like: $var1 $var2 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Awanka
2 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

set mysql password with host parameter

hi, linux gurus... i'm trying to write a script in ksh called ResetPass that allows a user to change mysql passwords. the script accepts user, password and host like this: ResetPass <user> <password> <host>. here's the code: ***************************************************** mysql... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankimo
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

lynx browser set permanently option

hi all, is there somebody that know how can I set an permanently option for the lynx text browser? The reason is if I open some URL's and type my login infos then lynx show follow message: P)roceed, use G)ET or C)ancel Server asked for 301 redirection of POST content to URL: The UNIX... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: research3
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dot operator and space, Parameter not set

Hi, i have this script setenv.sh if then echo "is empty" fi echo "done" The following is the result when i run the script from command without and with a dot and space operator $ setenv.sh is empty done $ . setenv.sh sh: VAR_1: Parameter not set. $ It's our standard to run... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrini
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command that takes one parameter and then searches for the passed in parameter

Hi I am looking for a unix command or a small shell script which can takes one parameter and then searches for the passed in the parameter in any or all files under say /home/dev/ Can anyone please help me on this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankaj80
3 Replies

8. Programming

Problem with STL's std::set container parameter to the operator << ()

Hi, I have this following code which gives me error when compiling. The problem is happening at the point where I create a const_iterator inside the overloaded insertion operator (i.e) operator << () function. The template argument version of set is not correct I guess. Could anyone please pitch... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

"ksh: XYZ: parameter not set" in .profile

Hi, A very basic query. I am working on two different UNIX servers and I see different behaviours for my user id. This has to be a setting in the .profile, but I can't seem to find where :confused: So, in one server if I type echo $XYZDD (a random variable), I get a blank line with no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ALDonP
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Solaris "ksh" Parameter Not Set

Getting the following when I try to set -u or set -o nounset in ksh on Solaris. Anyone ever seen this? Using an account I just built so everything is default and default shell is set to ksh. Oracle Corporation SunOS 5.11 11.3 September 2015 bar@solaris11:~$ echo $0 -ksh bar@solaris11:~$ set... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: epost
3 Replies
hman(1)                                                       General Commands Manual                                                      hman(1)

NAME
hman - browse the on-line manual pages SYNOPSIS
hman [ -P browser ] [ -H host ] [ section ] name hman [ -P browser ] [ -H host ] [ section ] [ index ] DESCRIPTION
The hman script is an interface to man2html(1) that allows you to enter man page requests at the command line and view the output in your favourite browser. The behaviour reminds of that of man(1) so that many people will be able to alias hman to man. If the browser used is netscape, and an incarnation of netscape is running already, hman will pass the request to the existing browser. OPTIONS
-P browser Specify which browser (like lynx, xmosaic, arena, chimera, netscape, amaya, ...) to use. This option overrides the MANHTMLPAGER environment variable. The default is the non-httpd version of lynx, or sensible-browser if lynx cannot be found. -H host Specify from what host to get the man pages. This option overrides the MANHTMLHOST environment variable. The default is localhost. ENVIRONMENT
MANHTMLPAGER The default browser to use is selected using this environment variable. MANHTMLHOST The default host to use is selected using this environment variable. SEE ALSO
man(1), man2html(1), arena(1), lynx(1), sensible-browser(1), netscape(1), xmosaic(1), glimpse(1) http://www.mcom.com/newsref/std/x-remote.html 19 January 1998 hman(1)