Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Assistance on complicated perl script Post 302998072 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 24th of May 2017 09:26:05 PM
Old 05-24-2017
I haven't gone through your script in detail either, but I did quickly find at least four print statements in your code that are not properly terminated as suggested by durden_tyler. If you fix those, you'll get considerably fewer errors.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assistance with Perl and HTTP

I need to query a http site and then parse the xml results, this works well if I use the string in IE but I require an automated solution. I have tried using the following as well as HTTP::Request, nothing seems to work any suggestions would be appreciated, I have tried diffrnt things I found on... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bryanthomas
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script assistance; paste word into external command

I'm attempting to create a Perl script that will: Take the contents of the usernames.tmp file (usernames.tmp is created from an awk one-liner ran against /etc/passwd) Take one line at a time and pass it to the su command as a users name. This should go on until there is no more name to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bru
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Very complicated script..

I have a script that I need to create tha involves moving files and renaming them(see previous post) Are there any websites with user made shell scripts? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocinante
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with script - output to file, but complicated

ok, so what i want to do is make a script that will do the following: take out from a command in the terminal put that output into a text file already on my computer. the only thing is that i need to put the output in the file kinda weird: i need to take it and put each character of output... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: twoodcc
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

In need of multi threaded perl assistance

I need to write a perl script to execute external programs and grab the output and return code. Each program should be killed if it has not completed within X seconds. Imagine that the script goes something like this : @commands = &get_commands(); foreach $cmd (@commands) { $pid =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SandmanCL
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assistance needed with perl script

Ok, theres a log file containing the below. Lets call the logfile log_fantastic: 2009/03/16 21:42:45 USER: tonnabo - MAC: 0014BF2D385A - STATUS_ID: 30 - STATE: ERROR 2009/03/16 21:42:45 USER: tonnabo - MAC: 001310AC120D - STATUS_ID: 15 - STATE: OK 2009/03/16 21:42:45 USER: tonnabo - MAC:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assistance in Perl scripting

PFA file "color.txt". Note : There is no newline character in the file. I have manually inserted the newline char to make it easy to understand. I am expecting out in the form as specified in second file "out.txt" I need a perl script to perform the task. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deo_kaustubh
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Search replace - complicated

I have a text file for which i need a script which does some fancy search and replace. Basically i want to loop through each line, if i find an occurance of certain string format then i want to carry on search on replace another line, once i replaced this line i will contine to search for the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kelseyh
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, sed, perl assistance in outputting formatted file

Hello, Please advise. Scoured this site, as well as google for answers. However if you do not know what to search for, it's a bit hard to find answers. INPUT: ACTASS= 802 BASECOS= 279 COSNCHG= 3 CUSCOS= 52 UPLDCOS= 2 DESIRED OUTPUT: ACTASS=802 BASECOS=279 (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: abacus
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on a fairly complicated shell script

Hello, also with the help of some great users of this forum, I have created following shell script. MM=120 GG=5000 # get size of directory szm=$(du -s --block-size M ./192.168.1.xxx | awk '{print int($0)}') data=$(date --rfc-3339=seconds) if ; then # too big delete older files ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcaccount
10 Replies
catch(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  catch(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
catch - Evaluate script and trap exceptional returns SYNOPSIS
catch script ?varName? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The catch command may be used to prevent errors from aborting command interpretation. Catch calls the Tcl interpreter recursively to exe- cute script, and always returns without raising an error, regardless of any errors that might occur while executing script. If script raises an error, catch will return a non-zero integer value corresponding to one of the exceptional return codes (see tcl.h for the definitions of code values). If the varName argument is given, then the variable it names is set to the error message from interpret- ing script. If script does not raise an error, catch will return 0 (TCL_OK) and set the variable to the value returned from script. Note that catch catches all exceptions, including those generated by break and continue as well as errors. The only errors that are not caught are syntax errors found when the script is compiled. This is because the catch command only catches errors during runtime. When the catch statement is compiled, the script is compiled as well and any syntax errors will generate a Tcl error. EXAMPLES
The catch command may be used in an if to branch based on the success of a script. if { [catch {open $someFile w} fid] } { puts stderr "Could not open $someFile for writing $fid" exit 1 } The catch command will not catch compiled syntax errors. The first time proc foo is called, the body will be compiled and a Tcl error will be generated. proc foo {} { catch {expr {1 +- }} } SEE ALSO
error(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
catch, error Tcl 8.0 catch(n)